U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 PM

666 posts, read 1,085,563 times

Advertisements

The way I see the SW Florida area is looking forward to become a large metro area in FL. The housing business decline, the collapse of the economy in construction and the overall crisis has slowed the pass in the latest years, but the area has been continuing to grow, and the downtown area in Ft. Myers gets shape with a few tall building although they are still a few and they are scattered.

But in a few years I believe the following will happen:

-A new spur interstate will have to be built to give access to places such as Ft. Myers Beach, Sanibel, Cape Coral and the McGregor area. It looks like it will begin in I-75 somewhere near mile 107 (Naples) and will end up near Punta Gorda, passing near Estero Bay, and will possibly be something like I-475 (since I-275 already exists in Tampa Bay)

-The Terminal Access road will extend all the way to I -75 rather than ending in Treeline/Ben Griffin.

-A new interstate or tollway will have to go parallel to Colonial or MLK connecting I-75 to potential future I-475.

-The downtown Ft Myers will have a skyline similar to that of Tampa.

-The part between US-41, Colonial, I-75 and the river will become more ghettoid that it is already.

-Sanibel and Captiva will become insanely expensive

-Naples will be the exclusive zone of the area, similar to what WPB is to SoFla. Lehigh and Cape Coral will become middle class suburbs.

-The airport will become larger than it is

-Perhaps new parks come to the area

-A new interstate will possible be built between Ft. Myers and WPB (maybe it will be a rebuilt SR-80). As per FHWA standards and if Texas does not get ahead, it will most likely be Interstate 2.

-US-17 may be redesigned as a freeway as well to give access to Orlando from the main SW FL metro area. If since all odd interstate numbers between 75 and 95 are in use, maybe it will stay as US-17.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 AM

60 posts, read 125,137 times
Certainly all of those things are possible. As you say, the current economy is keeping something of a lid on runaway development. Once things improve, and certainly the real estate market is currently looking up, then development will increase. However do you think it will surpass the pre-downturn levels? A lot of the real estate drop was simply a return to reality (not all). While tourism can be a powerful engine in a positive economy does the area have enough diversity of economic base to support an even larger growth? There does not seem to be a lot of high tech or the support industries for that. Manufacturing is in decline for the most part anyway. Agriculture is mostly to the north of the state I think? The area will grow, it almost HAS to, but the rate and extent is an interesting question.

I've watched literal rural cow pastures turn into outer suburban industrial parks and million dollar housing divisions so I do believe, I do! The question is, I think, the rate. And of course how soon? Any thoughts out there among those who have watched the area closely?

Old 11-27-2012, 09:54 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,010,467 times
As long as there are morons in the local government non of that will ever happen.
It hasn't happened in the last forty years, it most likely no happen for a long time.
Not with hundreds of square miles of so called "retirement communities" and no growth oriented government. These morons waste millions on land grabs and equipment to process waste solids that they don't use. All the money these idiots waste could have put water in for the whole city of Cape Coral.
If you're thinking of trying to make money here by investing in the area I would think again, the only ones buying real estate now are the chinese.

I could be done, but not with the mind set of the local government. They can't get anything right.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:38 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,420,693 times
It's amazing.......every thread,no matter the subject,Equal the curmudgeon posts an angry negative comment.It's almost funny if it wasn't so pathetic.
This weekend we took our boat to Ft Myers beach for the sand festival,drank a few beers,had a cookout later with friends at our pool and watched a great movie.
Equal sat in the dark,alone, angry, muttering and stewing about everything that he hates about the cape.
Maybe this Christmas,the three ghosts will come to him as they did to uncle Scrooge in "The Christmas Carol" and teach him to have some love and understanding for his fellow man.
Hahaha....I can see it now...the ghost of Christmas in the future dragging him,screaming through city hall.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:55 PM

964 posts, read 1,840,853 times
Wow, espizzaro starts a really interesting, intelligent thread. It's amazing how soon it sunk into the gutter.

espizzarro: I really like your prophesies and agree with most. Some points, though, to keep the sanity in this discussion and hopefully encourage some friendly dialogue:
  • Not sure about some of the interstate expansions though - the environmental regs are much more firm than when Alligator Alley was built. Turning 80 into a freeway would take a lot of doing.....but it would be awesome! But you are 100% right - we need more than just I-75.
  • Sanibel is already pretty out of reach....
  • Isn't Cape Coral already a middle class suburb?
    • As an aside, did anyone see the article in the News Press about the Family Dollar opening on the CC Parkway? All this talk about improving the downtown area and then this happens. Why more noise wasn't made about this is beyond me.
  • Lehigh Acres: No way. They'd have to raze it and start over, IMO. I get chills when I just fly over the damn place on my way out of town....
  • Speaking of RSW: I'd just be happy if I could fly to FLL or MIA to get better connection options. For XMas, we have to drive to FLL to get a decent priced flight to Austin. I hope they never turn RSW into another MCO, though. It's one of my favorite airports because of its simplicity.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 AM

5,495 posts, read 6,361,710 times
None of the ideas are likely to happen because the new taxes , regulations and exploding debt will not foster economic growth. Also the environmentalists would never let new highways be built. At best, the area will grow from new internet based businesses moving to the area. The biggest boon to the area would be better UPS and Fedex service.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:22 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,945,756 times
I think as the world economy dematerializes toward information and digital consumption, and with the coming genome age, where work can be done anywhere, lifestyle will become increasingly the driving factor for location, and South West Florida is simply the best spot in the US, the planet, hell, the known Universe, for lifestyle, mostly due to weather, but also due to the more usable flatwater than the Ocean Coast...so when I am driving around and see all the open space, I see a mega-metropolis forming over the next hundred or thousand years.

Indeed, the limiting factor for civilization increasingly is public apathy regarding government at all levels, especially given the modern levels of penetration of government into all aspects of life, leaving this increasingly vast government to be a mud wrestle between the luddite tree huggers stifling intelligent growth and the crooks siphoning off tax dollars for self serving purposes.

All of this of course is not the fault of the deluded nor the crooks, its the fault of the average unengaged citizen who thinks good government grows on trees or is an entitlement. You get the government you deserve.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:58 AM

22,564 posts, read 48,717,951 times
Next hundred or thousand years Southwest Florida will probably be under water.

Oh, and I have no idea what the human genome has to do with working from home. Perhaps you just liked the sound of "genome age" and meant the future. I do think there will be more telecommuting but that sandy, low-lying area is probably going to be swallowed up. At best, the gangs in Lehigh will have waterfront property but I think that is very optimistic prediction!

Old 12-15-2012, 10:10 AM

4,929 posts, read 5,861,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Next hundred or thousand years Southwest Florida will probably be under water!
I've read many articles where scientists predict in 20-50 years Orlando will be south florida.

Get your life jackets!

Old 12-15-2012, 12:10 PM

22,564 posts, read 48,717,951 times
And we're already in the genome age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area