Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,762 times

Advertisements

This place is a joke if youre under 60 and want to work or socialize. There is no variation here in age demographic, weather, geography and social events. Its mainly old people, warm or hot climate, flat and scrubby landscape, and the same old stuff to do, beaches or outlet malls. If it isnt designed and planned palms in a measured row which looks nice, its scraggly looking scrub; or if it is planned its typical store front artifices of giant air conditioned shopping strips with no history or character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 04:33 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,348,837 times
Yup us old farts got to have a place to live too.
Wonder how you will handle it when you/if get there.
Growing old is not for wimps.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:56 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
In January the OP posted that he/she was moving from Seattle to Hickory.

So now you're living in Cape Coral?

Too bad I didn't take a picture of the 30-ish hunk I saw in Cape Coral today. If he's old, I'm already dead and decomposed.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:41 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,073 times
I'm 38. I find plenty to do, socialize, and have a good time. Is it Chicago, NY, or Miami nightlife? Nope, but I wouldn't want it to be.

- a Full time Resident

Old 12-03-2012, 07:09 AM

297 posts, read 509,181 times
Come on.....tell us how you really feel! Sorry you are not enjoying the area. Sometimes fun is what you make of it. If you look around and are the only one not having a good time, maybe some self examination is needed.
We love it here.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 AM

91 posts, read 222,638 times
While your assessment is harsh it is not completely inaccurate. However I would add Ft Myers/Cape Coral has easy gulf access and some of the most affordable direct water access in Florida which is why a lot of people come here. If you do not enjoy spending time on the water, IMO there are better places to go. I think Naples is a much nicer area with better food and beach access but t is a lot more expensive.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:53 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattletoHickory View Post
This place is a joke if youre under 60 and want to work or socialize. There is no variation here in age demographic, weather, geography and social events. Its mainly old people, warm or hot climate, flat and scrubby landscape, and the same old stuff to do, beaches or outlet malls. If it isnt designed and planned palms in a measured row which looks nice, its scraggly looking scrub; or if it is planned its typical store front artifices of giant air conditioned shopping strips with no history or character.
Just curious.......If you hate it so much,why are you still here?

Old 12-04-2012, 11:49 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Just curious.......If you hate it so much,why are you still here?
Exactly! If he's not happy, then leave. It will free up a job for someone who wants to live there.

I grew up in the area. Have been looking for a job there so I can move back.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:33 AM

319 posts, read 612,018 times
Seattle,

There is a Barnes & Noble with a Starbucks here in town, Daniels & 41. From there you could run over to WalMart or Target and denigrate their music selection and lack of vinyls.

It can be a bit of a drag when the Goth, Emo, Grunge contingent are all yuppy private schoolers being ferried around by their Mom's in BMWs.

My guess is, you are in the wrong income tax bracket to truly enjoy the area. If you don't boat, golf, play baseball, enjoy watching baseball, cook, drink wine or hang at the beaches during sunset you would be lost.

Try doing the sunset run at FMB or Naples pier. You might be amazed by the scenery and the people.

As for night life, we are all Clicks down here. Where ever you go there is going to be a group of 5 or 6 couples hanging out, being loud and having a good time. This is true from the top of the economic scale to the bottom.

We are sorry there is no spontaneous RAVE parties on a nightly basis or large mountains looming on the skyline. But most of the people who live here prefer the laid back no hurry or worry lifestyle. We all know where to go if we want to burn a hole in our pocket and party like its 1799, most of us grew up and like to spend our leisure time out during the day on the golf course or the water. Not like vampires until 4 am every night.

Buy a boat and enjoy the mutual misery of no wake zones, high fuel prices, poor water quality and breaking in your SeaTow account. It's fun, I promise. The first Snook you wrangle or Tarpon you fight will make it worthwhile.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 AM

91 posts, read 222,638 times
A point about old people... they have lived long enough to figure out a few things in life. They tend to retire to places that are generally nice places to live. There is often wisdom in old bones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area