U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 10:21 AM

91 posts, read 183,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Indeed even the bridge over the river on Interstate 75 just before the Ft Myers exits is a long span tall bridge. But not to worry, the even longer span tall bridge over the Peace river up in Port Charlotte will stop ya cold 35 miles before you get this far.
You can bypass all the 75 bridges by coming down state roads in the middle of Florida. Once you get past the Caloosahatchee River the rest of Ft Myers can be accessed without bridge issues but as stated you are severely limiting yourself if you cannot cross one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 10:56 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,420,693 times
I don't know if you work front or back of the house but I can tell you,as a guy in the biz for 35 years, that if you are really good...you can wiggle your way into a good job.When you apply,sell yourself.Convince that employer that you will the most loyal,dedicated and reliable person on his staff.Especially important ifd you are in the upscale end of the business.Start part time if that's all they have and then swap shifts to get more hours.Always volunteer for the toughest or least lucrative station in order to win over the 'old timers".....always jump in to bail out your co-workers,be the first to clean the rest rooms or prep up for the next shift.Make sure your station is set up beyond expectations when you leave.Above all....don't gossip and get caught up in all the drama that goes on in most restaurants.The word will spread and you'll soon be where you want to be.
If you're just one of those people who show up and gets by with the least amount of effort...disregard my advice.
BTW....just curious.....what do you have against bridges??

Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 AM

693 posts, read 1,776,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straegen View Post
You can bypass all the 75 bridges by coming down state roads in the middle of Florida. Once you get past the Caloosahatchee River the rest of Ft Myers can be accessed without bridge issues but as stated you are severely limiting yourself if you cannot cross one.
Yes you can bypass all the 75 bridges, but you cannot bypass bridges completely. Depending on how severe the issue with bridges is, there is almost no way to go anywhere. There are bridges up and down 41, Mcgregor, and Summerlin, albeit small, but bridges none the less.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:17 AM

199 posts, read 463,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvinchitown12 View Post
Hi...and thank you to everyone first!

I am picking up the pieces of whats left and heading south! I am 47 yr old...looking 37, my last daughter flew the nest and I'm relocating. I have been in the service industry all my years of working so I'm hoping that finding a job won't be to hard. But, i do need help with an area to start looking in for a place to live. I'm driving down the week of Christmas and I am going to have a motel room for 2 weeks and go from there! Winging it, I know, but hey, sometimes you just need to go and make a new start!
So, my question is, where do I look for afford living near many restaurants and hotels. One more thing, I can't drive over that bridge to get to the beach!!!!! Is there a water taxi that goes across it?

I'm looking forward to some answers so I can continue my search on here! Thanks!
Hmmmmm........I have to wonder why you would choose this area to relocate to if you have an aversion to bridges over the water. You're going to really limit yourself geographically in terms of what this area has to offer. My recommendation would be to make it a priority to conquer that fear straight away.

I am only a year older than you, and I relocated to this area last spring, however I spent a good 6 months doing a TON of research first - I didn't just decide to pack up the car and go. I studied the area extensively and lined up a house to rent before I ever hit the road. And, most importantly, I already had a job. I am very fortunate in that I work from home and require only an Internet connection to do my job, so that gave me a lot of options.

Just be careful. I don't have a single regret about moving down here, but like I said, I did my homework. I totally get the desire to make a 'fresh start', but think long and hard about what you're looking for in life and make sure this area will be a good fit for you.

Good luck with the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area