U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:17 AM

5 posts, read 4,220 times

Advertisements

I work as a server at Carrabba's, and trust me, I am definitely not banking on Carrabba's, I will find a job, just not sure which location to focus on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 08:24 AM

Thanks for all the advice!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:05 AM
wjj

718 posts, read 830,530 times
Depends where you are coming from. But for me, coming from suburban Chicago, it is much cheaper to live in SWFL than it is up here.

Some major differences....

1. 5% state personal income tax in Illinois - no state income tax in Florida
2. My real estate taxes in FL are only 25% of what I pay up here for a house that is only a few hundred sq/ft bigger ($13K vs a little over $3K).
3. Regular homeowners insurance is a little less in IL. The hurricane coverage of course causes FL homeowners insurance to be more in total, but only by about $600 in total in my case. Plus add flood insurance if needed.
4. When I compare my electric bill in FL with my combined electric and gas up here, it is far lower in FL. Electric bill here in the summer can go over $300. Highest I had in FL last summer was $180. And that includes running the pool pump 7 hours a day. No pool up north! Gas costs in the winter can easily go over $200-$250/month plus another $100+ for electricity. Far more than in FL where electric in the winter is under $100 and there is no gas. Water rates just went up here and now are about the same as SWFL.
5. Car insurance is the one exception. I pay as much to insure 1 old car in FL as I do to insure 2 newer cars up here for the same coverage.
6. We find that grocery shopping at Publix costs less than shopping at the Jewel up here for the same items.
7. As of now, FL has no separate state level estate tax while IL does have a state level estate tax that can be imposed even when no federal estate tax is due.
8. Sales tax in suburban Cook County is over 10% in many, if not most municipalities. 6% in Florida.

So to me, on taxes alone, it is a no brainer. It will be different for others depending on where they come from. SWFL I am sure will be much more expensive for someone coming from a small town or more rural area. Conversely, someone coming from Canada or Europe probably views Fort Myers housing as the bargain of the century.

Each person needs to do their own homework and make their own decisions. There is no right or wrong answer for everyone.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:31 PM

693 posts, read 1,776,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
Depends where you are coming from. But for me, coming from suburban Chicago, it is much cheaper to live in SWFL than it is up here.

Some major differences....

1. 5% state personal income tax in Illinois - no state income tax in Florida
2. My real estate taxes in FL are only 25% of what I pay up here for a house that is only a few hundred sq/ft bigger ($13K vs a little over $3K).
3. Regular homeowners insurance is a little less in IL. The hurricane coverage of course causes FL homeowners insurance to be more in total, but only by about $600 in total in my case. Plus add flood insurance if needed.
4. When I compare my electric bill in FL with my combined electric and gas up here, it is far lower in FL. Electric bill here in the summer can go over $300. Highest I had in FL last summer was $180. And that includes running the pool pump 7 hours a day. No pool up north! Gas costs in the winter can easily go over $200-$250/month plus another $100+ for electricity. Far more than in FL where electric in the winter is under $100 and there is no gas. Water rates just went up here and now are about the same as SWFL.
5. Car insurance is the one exception. I pay as much to insure 1 old car in FL as I do to insure 2 newer cars up here for the same coverage.
6. We find that grocery shopping at Publix costs less than shopping at the Jewel up here for the same items.
7. As of now, FL has no separate state level estate tax while IL does have a state level estate tax that can be imposed even when no federal estate tax is due.
8. Sales tax in suburban Cook County is over 10% in many, if not most municipalities. 6% in Florida.

So to me, on taxes alone, it is a no brainer. It will be different for others depending on where they come from. SWFL I am sure will be much more expensive for someone coming from a small town or more rural area. Conversely, someone coming from Canada or Europe probably views Fort Myers housing as the bargain of the century.

Each person needs to do their own homework and make their own decisions. There is no right or wrong answer for everyone.
Again, the OP is coming from Toledo, Ohio, not Mass, NY, or Chicago. The taxes, insurance, and real estate in general is absurdly lower there. I am assuming you spend your summers in Illinois? If this is the case, you probably have your air set in the mid 80's and the only electric you use in the summer is a/c and pool, now add in your everyday electric use on top of that, hot water, tv, laundry, etc. Most Northerners also keep their air set in the low 70's most of the year.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:15 PM

616 posts, read 1,391,028 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 12-12-2012 at 07:11 AM..

Old 12-09-2012, 05:57 PM
wjj

718 posts, read 830,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
Again, the OP is coming from Toledo, Ohio, not Mass, NY, or Chicago. The taxes, insurance, and real estate in general is absurdly lower there. I am assuming you spend your summers in Illinois? If this is the case, you probably have your air set in the mid 80's and the only electric you use in the summer is a/c and pool, now add in your everyday electric use on top of that, hot water, tv, laundry, etc. Most Northerners also keep their air set in the low 70's most of the year.
We agree that the answer will be different for different people depending on where they come from.

My wife and I are not snowbirds. We use our place in FL year round (we or our family were down there 12 times this past year). We do keep the temperature at 80 when we are not there and 76 when we are there. Lights are on sensors so they are on whether we are there or not. I went back and looked and the highest electric bill we had was $164 (not $180 as I stated earlier) and that covered July when we were down there for 2 weeks. Probably would have been about $200 if we were there the entire month. That is still less than electric plus gas up here for the summer. And winter is no contest. Gas plus electric will be $300/month up here and likely will not exceed $100 down there. I don't think energy prices in Toledo are that much different from most other places in the midwest.

I don't know what real estate taxes are like in Toledo but they do have both a state and a local income tax which will be more than the zero income tax in FL. Sales taxes are just a little higher in Toledo - not significant.

I think the point that I and others were making is that there are a lot of factors to consider and will vary, perhaps greatly, from one area of the country to another. All of the taxes in northeastern IL make it a slam dunk decision for us. Perhaps it is a closer call from Toledo, but a state plus local income tax vs no income tax at all kind of starts the discussion with a thumb on the scale.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
We agree that the answer will be different for different people depending on where they come from.

My wife and I are not snowbirds. We use our place in FL year round (we or our family were down there 12 times this past year). We do keep the temperature at 80 when we are not there and 76 when we are there. Lights are on sensors so they are on whether we are there or not. I went back and looked and the highest electric bill we had was $164 (not $180 as I stated earlier) and that covered July when we were down there for 2 weeks. Probably would have been about $200 if we were there the entire month. That is still less than electric plus gas up here for the summer. And winter is no contest. Gas plus electric will be $300/month up here and likely will not exceed $100 down there. I don't think energy prices in Toledo are that much different from most other places in the midwest.

I don't know what real estate taxes are like in Toledo but they do have both a state and a local income tax which will be more than the zero income tax in FL. Sales taxes are just a little higher in Toledo - not significant.

I think the point that I and others were making is that there are a lot of factors to consider and will vary, perhaps greatly, from one area of the country to another. All of the taxes in northeastern IL make it a slam dunk decision for us. Perhaps it is a closer call from Toledo, but a state plus local income tax vs no income tax at all kind of starts the discussion with a thumb on the scale.
I am not disagreeing on the varying aspects of a move from different parts of the country, I am however disputing the cost of living you are associating with Florida. In 30 years I cannot remember having an electric bill under $200 in the the summer and $100 in the winter over the course of a month, I also cannot ever recall a water bill under $80. Yes Florida does not have a state income tax, but compared to most of the country the taxes are relatively higher which is what generates the states revenue. I owned a house a few years ago just South of Akron, Ohio, a very similar area to Toledo, which was assessed at around $100,000, the taxes were just over $400 and insurance was $350 for the year. I have a couple houses here that are right around that same assessed value...taxes are around $2200 and insurance is a little under $1000, which does not include flood insurance since none of the houses are in a flood zone. Perhaps compared to where you live now it was a "slam dunk" decision, I am just trying to give realistic information to the OP. You also have to factor in a massive decrease in overall income by moving here as well. Even if you spend 20% less on the cost of living, chances are pretty good that you will be making at least 20% less with the same employment as up North.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 AM

Just compared cost of living index where I live to Ft. Myers and I benefit by 5.1%. I do not live in Toledo, because I have kids, and will not put them in that school district. So as long as Ft. Myers has good schools for me to choose from, money should be around the same. Thanks for the link!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:54 AM

616 posts, read 1,391,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodeyt22 View Post
Just compared cost of living index where I live to Ft. Myers and I benefit by 5.1%. I do not live in Toledo, because I have kids, and will not put them in that school district. So as long as Ft. Myers has good schools for me to choose from, money should be around the same. Thanks for the link!
Good Luck with the schools.

Your best best for schools - Cape Coral and S. Fort Myers - namely Estero area, but even then with "Student Assignment" your chances of getting into a waitlisted school could be fun to see.

Long story short - Lee County schools were mandated by the goverment to redesign the school system from keeping segreation happening. As it stands now, sometimes your kid may end up riding a bus for 1 to 2 hours going to a school across town.

www.leeschools.net

Old 12-10-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodeyt22 View Post
Also add private schools into budget, the public school system leaves a lot to be desired. You didn't tell us kids were involved in this move or we would have told you this earlier. Again as I said earlier, you might benefit 5.1% on the cost of living, but your income will probably be more than 5.1% less than what you make now, just some food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area