Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 06:39 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,282,615 times

Advertisements

is this stuff still current? I seem to recall changes happening to School Choice...not sure

SCHOOLS -Public schooling in Lee County employs "School Choice" within a large zone, which requires the parents to rank their school preference by March of the preceding school year, then the school district attempts to match the student with the ranked choices. The higher rated schools usually have more demand than slots, so these are allocated on a lottery basis, which may lead to your child being assigned to a lower quality or more distant school (up to an hour bus ride each way) than you had hoped, which is almost a certainty for new residents who miss the March deadline.

Possible public school solutions include renting until you know your assigned public school(s), then move to the neighborhood of the school to minimize busing or drop-off distance. If you don't like the school assigned, you may try getting on a waiting list for a more desirable public or charter school. It is not uncommon to reside just outside of the county boundary (in Punta Gorda or south of Woods Edge Parkway - verify County you are in!) and take on a possibly long commute to Lee County for employment. In Florida, it is more common than elsewhere for middle class parents to pay for private, Catholic (tuition subsidies may be available for low income attending Catholics) or Protestant/Christian schools. Finally, some choose to home school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Not that I'm aware of and I have very recently checked. The only change is in the name. It's now called "School Assignment" which is at least apropos and honest. People, including the local media, still call it "School Choice," though.

Lee County debate: school choice or neighborhood schools

Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 PM

616 posts, read 1,563,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Not that I'm aware of and I have very recently checked. The only change is in the name. It's now called "School Assignment" which is at least apropos and honest. People, including the local media, still call it "School Choice," though.

Lee County debate: school choice or neighborhood schools
It was a quiet change. Add in that it was School Choice for years.... it will be awhile before they call it "Assignment"

Old 12-12-2012, 05:32 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
It was a quiet change. Add in that it was School Choice for years.... it will be awhile before they call it "Assignment"
Oh, I am very aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area