U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 06:31 PM

5,495 posts, read 6,361,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
There is not problem with them if you go by car. In my opinion they are not worth taking a boat to.
If you don't fish, restaurants are a major boating destination. I fish, my wife doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 07:25 PM

693 posts, read 1,776,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
If you don't fish, restaurants are a major boating destination. I fish, my wife doesn't.
I am talking about the boat trip up and down the canals to get to these places. They are not close to the river or gulf. First Round Draft is at least a 30 minute boat ride once you leave the river and enter the canal, once you get to the dock you have to spin your boat around in a 50 foot wide canal to get back out. Jimbos is closer and just off the Cape bridge so it's easy to get to, but again the canal narrows down significantly. If you are renting a boat and looking for boating destinations, these are not recommended, there are far better options for waterfront dining.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:37 PM

964 posts, read 1,840,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubagirl40 View Post
Hello! I have a home on a canal in Cape Coral and we are renting a boat for the first time. What are some 'must visit' places we should see and what are some good boat access restaurants?
'Tween Waters on Captiva....we launch from Bokeelia and go over there. Once done eating, it's a nice walk around the island. Cabbage Key, as NHKev said, is nice, too, but realize there is nothing to do once you eat. Lastly, until March you can dock at Boca Grande next to the Pink Elephant. From there, there are many restaurants, cafes, and shopping spots around town. I'm not sure why docking is disallowed after March, but it is. For access, look up the Pink Elephant on Google Maps. Zoom into satellite view and you can see the docks. The public is allowed to dock all the way at the end, past the restaurant docks.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
'Tween Waters on Captiva....we launch from Bokeelia and go over there. Once done eating, it's a nice walk around the island. Cabbage Key, as NHKev said, is nice, too, but realize there is nothing to do once you eat. Lastly, until March you can dock at Boca Grande next to the Pink Elephant. From there, there are many restaurants, cafes, and shopping spots around town. I'm not sure why docking is disallowed after March, but it is. For access, look up the Pink Elephant on Google Maps. Zoom into satellite view and you can see the docks. The public is allowed to dock all the way at the end, past the restaurant docks.
March is usually the beginning of Tarpon season which increases the boating traffic like 20 fold in the Boca Grande Pass, by not allowing public docking for more than 10 minutes from March until August they keep all those boats from parking there for hours.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:26 AM

964 posts, read 1,840,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
March is usually the beginning of Tarpon season which increases the boating traffic like 20 fold in the Boca Grande Pass, by not allowing public docking for more than 10 minutes from March until August they keep all those boats from parking there for hours.
Hey, Billy, thanks for solving that mystery for me, the non fishing-type!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmack View Post
Hey, Billy, thanks for solving that mystery for me, the non fishing-type!
No prob. The Boca Grande Pass is supposedly the best place in the World for Tarpon.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:38 PM

12 posts, read 50,684 times
I am basically on the San Carlos basin off of Country Club. We are renting a boat for 2 days and want to make the most of our time, and being that its our first time traveling the canals/river I need advise!!!! Looking to hit an island and maybe a place or two for lunch. I'm picking up the boat at yacht club... I really appreciate the info

Old 12-15-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubagirl40 View Post
I am basically on the San Carlos basin off of Country Club. We are renting a boat for 2 days and want to make the most of our time, and being that its our first time traveling the canals/river I need advise!!!! Looking to hit an island and maybe a place or two for lunch. I'm picking up the boat at yacht club... I really appreciate the info
I wouldn't waste time bringing the boat back home if that is what your plan is, it is literally going to take you an hour to get back to the San Carlos basin. From the Yacht Club it's about an hour or so ride out to Pine Island Sound then maybe another 20 minutes to Cayo Costa which is by far the best choice for a day on an island, it is also only accessible by boat so it isn't nearly as crowded as the other beaches during season. From there Cabbage Key is just East of the island for lunch or you can cruise across the Boca Grande Pass to Gasparilla Island and Boca Grande. I just caution you as a novice boater to stay on the inside or outside and not directly between the islands when you cross the pass, depending on the tides, the current can be pretty strong going through there and I have seen people get completely spun around on the outgoing tide. You can also hit St James City, Woodys is always a winner, on your way in and out since it is right on the end of Pine Island, you pass it pretty much no matter where you go. You can also just anchor off the beaches of North Captiva too, also very nice beaches and again you are still close to Cabbage Key which I deem as a must for any boater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area