Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 02:43 PM

693 posts, read 2,011,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugManTPC View Post
Equal,

You have quite the fan club. At the risk of pissing everyone off.

Burnt Store and Del Prado.

The CC master plan was for Major Industry to take up the land along 41.

The small businesses were to be on all of the major E to W and N to S cross roads, Del Prado, Santa Barbara, Chiquita. Parkway, Vetrans, Pine Island.

The rest, by design, was residential. Cape Coral was meant to be boating Community.

You maybe surprised at what will happen in the next 10 years.

The order of the day is Urban Sprawl. Sarasota to Nokomis, Tampa into Bradenton.

A major portion of the Fort Myers / Cape Coral economy is Naples.

We are experiencing Sprawl from Miami as well.

I am for Less Government, no argument, I have had a few years experience in major cities and industrial booms.

No matter what our City Council does, we will never be a Port City. If you look at true industry reliant cities they have port or rail systems that necessitate the highway infrastructure.

Atlanta had Rail before they had I85. Jacksonville & Miami had Rail and Sea Ports before I95. Tampa bay, rail before I 75.

A1A, 301, 41 were all horse trails before being state highways.

Cape Coral future is White Collar industries, brought here by subsidizing property and tangible taxes to the business owners for 10 years or more.

In short, to get us where you wants us to be, we are all going to pay through the nose for that kind of progress. Industries will come, as California , New York, MA and PA continue to loose their minds, Florida will look better everyday.

One other thing that occurred to me, Hurricanes. Charlie scared the POOP out of several businesses who were considering CC before the bubble broke.

Our other deliema is population, as you pointed out, we have a retirement centric Demo. Where are the workers that Abla Englas?
It's white collar, service, utilities, real estate, and healthcare. We don't need highways, ports, rail, whatever to grow and fortunately I don't think the local government is trying to steer the city in that direction anyways. The demographic in Cape Coral isn't nearly as one sided as people think and nothing close to Naples. The average age is a whopping 41 years old, with over 60% of the cities population under the age of 44. Average age in Naples is 61. The workers who speak Espanol are for the part doing things most of us don't want to do anyways. Not sure about you, but I personally have no interest in tearing a roof off in July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 03:37 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
Yeah isn't it funny.
They are also all on my ignore list, and what is even stranger They know it.
I really can't figure out why they direct posts toward me when they know that I don't read theirs. But what ever, it's their life.
I only respond to Equal's posts so that newbies understand where he is coming from.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:52 PM

225 posts, read 493,770 times
Roadway expansion could impact other projects - cape-coral-daily-breeze.com | News, sports, community info. - Cape Coral Daily Breeze Hope I'm long gone before they expand Diplomat Pwky. I for one don't think it's a great idea.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:52 PM

319 posts, read 611,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
It's white collar, service, utilities, real estate, and healthcare. We don't need highways, ports, rail, whatever to grow and fortunately I don't think the local government is trying to steer the city in that direction anyways. The demographic in Cape Coral isn't nearly as one sided as people think and nothing close to Naples. The average age is a whopping 41 years old, with over 60% of the cities population under the age of 44. Average age in Naples is 61. The workers who speak Espanol are for the part doing things most of us don't want to do anyways. Not sure about you, but I personally have no interest in tearing a roof off in July.
My only counter....You know our Demo stats are skewed due to our transient neighbor who can't claim primary residence.

For example: A customer today on Sanibel, Mr S, a retired Proffessor from NYU, 77 years of age, wife Sandy, married 54 years. New York residency because of Pension requirements and fear of paying State Income tax if they did not keep their residency. I ask, "Mr S, surely it is more and more desirable to stay here full time? The upkeep on two homes must be staggering at times. What about our Homestead and Property Tax protection?
Mr S, "At least those taxes are predictable, the change to my monthly income by becoming a resident would out way my option to sell the house if it ever became too much."

I know I am blathering, I'm sorry. My point is our Demo is representative of our full time working class families. However, subtract that from total single family homes in the area and you get an idea of the total population or our current capacity.

As we attract more and more people, we need, white collar industries to offset the retirement or part time resident in order to grow.

I think Equal is rightfully concerned that without some business growth our City will continue to overspend and eventually impact us in a big way. IE 1 to 2% sales tax increase for Lee County.

As I said earlier, there may never be more Highway Expansion, we don't have any goods to export other than Ag.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:46 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,348,627 times
It was totally nuts to conceive one of the biggest cities in the US and leave no room for industry or future transportation corridors.
Can you imagine other large cities without, interstate, freeways, surface rail systems or any other kind of transportation other then roads.
Can you imagine what this place would be like if the population density was at full capacity. There would be 18hour grid lock.
This city was built by greed and since inception it has been run by incompetence.
This is not a viable business model for a city this size and never will be.
The question is how long will it continue, it will either change drastically or it will die.
To invest here is foolish, no business will come unless it changes.
Stay away from Cape Crappy the worst place in Florida, unless these clowns at city hall get their act together and get the ball rolling

Old 12-21-2012, 02:43 PM

693 posts, read 2,011,985 times
Quote:
My only counter....You know our Demo stats are skewed due to our transient neighbor who can't claim primary residence.

For example: A customer today on Sanibel, Mr S, a retired Proffessor from NYU, 77 years of age, wife Sandy, married 54 years. New York residency because of Pension requirements and fear of paying State Income tax if they did not keep their residency. I ask, "Mr S, surely it is more and more desirable to stay here full time? The upkeep on two homes must be staggering at times. What about our Homestead and Property Tax protection?
Mr S, "At least those taxes are predictable, the change to my monthly income by becoming a resident would out way my option to sell the house if it ever became too much."

I know I am blathering, I'm sorry. My point is our Demo is representative of our full time working class families. However, subtract that from total single family homes in the area and you get an idea of the total population or our current capacity.

As we attract more and more people, we need, white collar industries to offset the retirement or part time resident in order to grow.

I think Equal is rightfully concerned that without some business growth our City will continue to overspend and eventually impact us in a big way. IE 1 to 2% sales tax increase for Lee County.

As I said earlier, there may never be more Highway Expansion, we don't have any goods to export other than Ag.
The demo isn't skewed, there are many young people here, and especially so compared to other places like Naples. You can believe what you want, but I work with hundreds of different people each week and get a have a pretty good idea of what this city looks like.

Equal is never right. Many cities this size function completely fine without rail, secondary transportation, and conventional industry. He likes to search for things he can complain about whether they are realistic are not. Just like his message above, he is complaining about 18 hour traffic, could never, would never, and will never happen. At the present time Cape Coral has a population density of about 1300 people per sq mile, while most big cities are well over 10,000 people per sq mile. Comparing Cape Coral to other big cities is ludicrous. At max capacity this city will never even approach 2000 people per sq mile. The city was laid out pretty well considering how many wet lots it boasts. Again the city was built on service, real estate, and more recently healthcare. Huge industry is NOT needed to boost the economy or the future of the city. There are new businesses coming everyday regardless of what Equal says or thinks. He's just a bitter foreigner that wants to ruin it for everyone else.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:

NYC teachers don't pay NY State income tax on their pensions. I'm not sure about college professors.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:38 AM

319 posts, read 611,950 times
That customer was fearful of having to pay state income if he changed residency from NY to FL. True story, I don't know the validity, it was gemain because it is an example of people who live here but are not part of our Demographic.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
The demo isn't skewed, there are many young people here, and especially so compared to other places like Naples. You can believe what you want, but I work with hundreds of different people each week and get a have a pretty good idea of what this city looks like.

Equal is never right. There are new businesses coming everyday regardless of what Equal says or thinks. He's just a bitter foreigner that wants to ruin it for everyone else.
Cape Coral is the perfect location for an internet business. These types of businesses are growing quickly.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:59 PM

260 posts, read 562,778 times
Equal,

I am going to to show up at the next city council meet and petition them to run a spur of 75 right thru your property.

What's your address?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area