U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2012, 09:44 PM
 
96 posts, read 178,340 times
Reputation: 63

Advertisements

have you seen any of these spider in the area? Have read conflicting messages here debating whether it's a brown recluse or something similar.

any exterminator recomm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2012, 04:19 AM
 
Location: Cape Coral
319 posts, read 490,167 times
Reputation: 510
Picture?

Browns are very distinct. Delta Dust or another similar Pyrethroid dust will eliminate. You can't keep spiders away, they go where the food is. In order to reduce spiders outside the home, you have to change the habitat.

Spider Pictures Slideshow: Black Widow Spider vs. Brown Recluse Spider on MedicineNet.com

The Official Brown Recluse Spider

I have intimate knowledge of the BR. I was bit in Jacksonville when I was 23. To this day, I have issues with MRSA around the bite site.

After reading the article you should understand why it is not a good idea to just send in an exterminator and hope for the best.

Before you make a rash decision, consider this, they are poisonous, however, if handled properly they will go away.

Vacant properties, people who like keeping lights on in the landscape, overgrown "lush" landscape, anyplace Dark, Cool and access to moisture. These are all great places to find insects, where you have insects you are going to have spiders. They are natures bug control. We have a tendency to get in the way.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 05:35 AM
 
96 posts, read 178,340 times
Reputation: 63
Thank you for the reply.

Haven't actually been to the house yet.. going down for a few days.. will be basically sleeping on air mattresses in empty house.. so this has me a little freaked. Have a hard time believing they are only outside.

Don't think there is much landscaping.. I will look into your suggestions.

THanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2012, 06:41 AM
 
1,299 posts, read 2,010,467 times
Reputation: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugManTPC View Post
Picture?

Browns are very distinct. Delta Dust or another similar Pyrethroid dust will eliminate. You can't keep spiders away, they go where the food is. In order to reduce spiders outside the home, you have to change the habitat.

Spider Pictures Slideshow: Black Widow Spider vs. Brown Recluse Spider on MedicineNet.com

The Official Brown Recluse Spider

I have intimate knowledge of the BR. I was bit in Jacksonville when I was 23. To this day, I have issues with MRSA around the bite site.

After reading the article you should understand why it is not a good idea to just send in an exterminator and hope for the best.

Before you make a rash decision, consider this, they are poisonous, however, if handled properly they will go away.

Vacant properties, people who like keeping lights on in the landscape, overgrown "lush" landscape, anyplace Dark, Cool and access to moisture. These are all great places to find insects, where you have insects you are going to have spiders. They are natures bug control. We have a tendency to get in the way.

I hope this helps.
Here is a question for you, I can't seem to get rid of the white spider mites that are eating my palms.
Got any suggestions I've tried granules and sprays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2012, 04:19 AM
 
Location: Cape Coral
319 posts, read 490,167 times
Reputation: 510
Hey Equal,

Do they look like this:

Inspection showed brown recluse spider infestation on lanai-image.jpg

If so, it is the Rugose Spiraling White Fly. They affect coconuts, Anidida, All cycads and many more plants. They are a piercing sucking insect.

The best way to get rid of most pests in trees is by root drench with a neonicatoid systemic, merit ( cheap) or safari ( expensive )

If you can, post a picture.

We have been very busy on the islands and coastal properties with these guys.

Let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2012, 04:32 AM
 
Location: Cape Coral
319 posts, read 490,167 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnooks View Post
Thank you for the reply.

Haven't actually been to the house yet.. going down for a few days.. will be basically sleeping on air mattresses in empty house.. so this has me a little freaked. Have a hard time believing they are only outside.

Don't think there is much landscaping.. I will look into your suggestions.

THanks!
As creepy as it sounds, Spiders inside are a good thing.

They can't get away, it's a captive audience. Once you dust the attic they die or they move. If they move into the house, they are dead. No one lets a spider get away. Oh, hairspray, it's the best way to kill spiders in the house. I am talking about Aquanet, big aerosol can that can be used as a flame thrower. The hairspray gums them up and they die. Don't spray raid or another type of canned insecticide. There are adverse affects that may cause other insects, ants mainly, to go on the defensive. When under attack, the ant queen "buds" her colony, you now have multiple colonies, multiple queens and about 10 weeks of work by someone like me to clean it up.

Also, it is not a BR. They can't live indoors. They may get lost in a shoe at night, but they don't like to scurry across the tile floor or carpet. They want darkness.


Good luck, it will all be okay. Merry Christmas!

PS. Don't use the Aquanet as a Flame Thrower to kill spiders. Just spray the Aquanet on the Spider, it will ball up and die. If I just ruined hours of potential spider hunting fun, I apologize!

Last edited by BugManTPC; 12-19-2012 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: Added PS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2012, 08:29 AM
 
96 posts, read 178,340 times
Reputation: 63
lol BUGMAN ! Thanks for relieving my fears.. I will go with Aquanet and Delta Dust in hand.. watch out spiders!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2012, 09:31 AM
 
1,299 posts, read 2,010,467 times
Reputation: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugManTPC View Post
Hey Equal,

Do they look like this:

Attachment 105027

If so, it is the Rugose Spiraling White Fly. They affect coconuts, Anidida, All cycads and many more plants. They are a piercing sucking insect.

The best way to get rid of most pests in trees is by root drench with a neonicatoid systemic, merit ( cheap) or safari ( expensive )

If you can, post a picture.

We have been very busy on the islands and coastal properties with these guys.

Let me know.
Yeah that's hat they look like.
I will
Try that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2012, 09:35 AM
 
1,299 posts, read 2,010,467 times
Reputation: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugManTPC View Post
Hey Equal,

Do they look like this:

Attachment 105027

If so, it is the Rugose Spiraling White Fly. They affect coconuts, Anidida, All cycads and many more plants. They are a piercing sucking insect.

The best way to get rid of most pests in trees is by root drench with a neonicatoid systemic, merit ( cheap) or safari ( expensive )

If you can, post a picture.

We have been very busy on the islands and coastal properties with these guys.

Let me know.
Where can I buy that merit stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2012, 04:36 AM
 
Location: Cape Coral
319 posts, read 490,167 times
Reputation: 510
The active ingredient is Imidacloprid. You should be able to buy small bags at Home Depot or lowes. It may not be Merit brand, look for the AI on the label.

You could go straight to John Deere off of Viscaya. I am not sure about their policy for residential customers but I know Merit can be purchased by home owners in certain concentrations.

Also, make sure it is liquid flowable and mix it with a liquid palm fert or a slurry of Epsom Salt and TechMag. You have to add the nutrient in order to guarantee the uptake.

They have granular products that say WDG, Water Disovling Granulars. The most common is Bandit at John Deere.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top