U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:00 AM

111 posts, read 259,155 times

Advertisements

For what its worth, real estate is a terrible investment. Over the course of ownership, between interest, taxes and maintenance/upkeep- most people don't make money on real estate and barely break even.
Land sharks and investors may, but not your average home owner.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:02 AM

5,495 posts, read 6,359,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
Exactly when are you talking about.
Germany has been using the Euro since before the housing crisis.
The germans are carrying the whole of the EU right now.
And yes I know, about the history of Germany probably a lot more then you.
What you don't know is that if Germany lets the EU collapse it will lose its largest trading partners. That will severely hurt the German economy. Do you think they have been bailing out the EU out of pure compassion or generosity?

Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,009,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW_Pirate View Post
For what its worth, real estate is a terrible investment. Over the course of ownership, between interest, taxes and maintenance/upkeep- most people don't make money on real estate and barely break even.
Land sharks and investors may, but not your average home owner.
Very Well said
You Can use it as an inflation hedge, but that is very risky. And not for the average individual.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:35 AM

71 posts, read 94,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
What you don't know is that if Germany lets the EU collapse it will lose its largest trading partners. That will severely hurt the German economy. Do you think they have been bailing out the EU out of pure compassion or generosity?
And that's why China is buying American Dollars as well. If they don't do that, they are loosing there biggest selling market. (and also euro's of course) I think we are heading very different times in the nearly future.
And i would not be surprised when the conflicts in the middle east are about destabilization and pipelines.

The fact why Germany has returned their gold back to Germany makes me suggest about a possible global conflict. Now, in my country you can't buy gold anymore without an official notice for the government.
So your gold isn't save anymore when their will be a huge increase. They (governments) will plume us once again. I think it's better to rent as well because you don't have to expect more price increases in the nearly future + possible value depreciations.

We must find a way out this mess, try to grow are own food so that we are not dependent of the walmart and the targets. Help each other and investing in knowledge, education, energy, ourselves and the communities. Every end has a start, so does this crisis as well, but imo this is merely the beginning.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:54 AM

Grow our own food, I wonder how they will do that in the city. I would like to see the home owners associations approve that one. Hi I want to turn my balcony in to a organic farm.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:48 PM

71 posts, read 94,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
Grow our own food, I wonder how they will do that in the city. I would like to see the home owners associations approve that one. Hi I want to turn my balcony in to a organic farm.
(possible) Worst -case scenario = disaster for the people in the skycraper cities.
That's why Marc Faber always told to stay away from those place. Best place during a depression is a rural
environment. Cape Coral isn't rural but it has many detached houses and lots of place.
So Equal, when the real crisis starts, the cape isn't that bad.

I remember people were laughing with me when i said that i want to grow my own vegetables and bake
my own bread. If this crisis unfolds in something like the 30s, i think many of us will stop laughing.
I will not be as crazy as the preppers, but when i am in the grocery i begin to look at the expiration dates for possible canned food. I don't have any yet but at least i know what i shall take when it's getting harder.
Big trouble in Europe is that we are dependent from the middle east for natural resources.
So this could result in cold winters.

Btw, crisis isn't that bad, people will learn how to deal with it and search for other things.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:33 PM

5,495 posts, read 6,359,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet84 View Post
(possible) Worst -case scenario = disaster for the people in the skycraper cities.
That's why Marc Faber always told to stay away from those place. Best place during a depression is a rural
environment. Cape Coral isn't rural but it has many detached houses and lots of place.
So Equal, when the real crisis starts, the cape isn't that bad.

I remember people were laughing with me when i said that i want to grow my own vegetables and bake
my own bread. If this crisis unfolds in something like the 30s, i think many of us will stop laughing.
I will not be as crazy as the preppers, but when i am in the grocery i begin to look at the expiration dates for possible canned food. I don't have any yet but at least i know what i shall take when it's getting harder.
Big trouble in Europe is that we are dependent from the middle east for natural resources.
So this could result in cold winters.

Btw, crisis isn't that bad, people will learn how to deal with it and search for other things.
If you think there may be hyper inflation the best thing to do is buy what you need now. You won't be able to afford it ( or even get it) later. At least in CC you can fish, grow fruits and vegetables, keep warm and maybe use your well water if TSHTF.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:22 PM

36 posts, read 64,620 times
Don´t know how much OUR choice will affect sales in Cape Coral but my wife and I are cash buyers and will be looking for a home to live in, not flip or rent. With reports that Cape Coral will be leveling 10K-20K special assesments on homes for new water and sewer, we have written Cape Coral off our list even before we begin looking. Seems to me that this special assessment will be a deal breaker for informed buyers when looking at properties in Lee County.

Anyway, that is just an observation from one couple wanting a home to live in with cash to buy.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Veteran View Post
Don´t know how much OUR choice will affect sales in Cape Coral but my wife and I are cash buyers and will be looking for a home to live in, not flip or rent. With reports that Cape Coral will be leveling 10K-20K special assessments on homes for new water and sewer, we have written Cape Coral off our list even before we begin looking. Seems to me that this special assessment will be a deal breaker for informed buyers when looking at properties in Lee County.

Anyway, that is just an observation from one couple wanting a home to live in with cash to buy.
This assessment is for the water and sewer. It's not a special assessment it's the original.
This is just an other reason to look at this area very carefully before you buy any real estate.
They designed one of the largest cities (land area) in the country, didn't put in any freeways or even just a couple of expressways, no rail to alleviate the traffic problems that have been and are existing now (and this town is nowhere near capacity of population.
And it is the year 2013 and the majority of the town has no water or sewers.
Can anyone think of any modern city in a country (other then third world that is) where there is no water and sewer.

The continued mis-management of this city for 40yrs. by the city government is to blame for these oversights.
This is probably the worst real estate investment anyone can make at this time.
Do yourself a favor and stay out.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:16 AM

296 posts, read 387,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Veteran View Post
Don´t know how much OUR choice will affect sales in Cape Coral but my wife and I are cash buyers and will be looking for a home to live in, not flip or rent. With reports that Cape Coral will be leveling 10K-20K special assesments on homes for new water and sewer, we have written Cape Coral off our list even before we begin looking. Seems to me that this special assessment will be a deal breaker for informed buyers when looking at properties in Lee County.

With all the new home construction, some sold, some for sale, and the amount of homes being bought and sold everyday in the Cape, most of the homes bought are the uninformed buyers I guess.
Everything is a compromise, area, activities, yes even water rights. For you it wasnt the right choice, you didnt even bother to look. You know exactly what you want, not everyone is in the same position. Some are willing to accept things to have the lifestyle they want. Every area will have negatives and positives.
As far as your choice affecting the market in Cape Coral, I think it will be ok. Good luck with your search and I hope you find an area that fits your needs.
After all, in the end its about being happy isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area