U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 08:02 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,420,693 times

Advertisements

We've been homeowners here for over 10 years and we find most people to be friendly and helpful.On the road,unlike up north,we rarely see any overly aggresive driving or road rage.On the water,boaters are friendly,courteous and always willing to help.....had a fellow boater give me a tow when I broke down on the gulf and wouldn't even take gas money.In the channels,most all boaters give you a friendly wave.....actually using all five fingers.In stores and restaurants,many servers and clerks call everybody "honey" or "sweetie" which you never see up north.
Maybe we're just in the right places.......can't speak for things at FGCU because I've never been there but maybe if you give a smile or a nod or otherwise show that you're friendly with body language,you'll see people relax a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 08:31 AM

1,819 posts, read 3,242,503 times
^^^Thanks for that post, Samiamnh. Road rage is another BIG problem here. Tailgating, passing in no passing zones, running stop signs, excessive speeding...we see it all here, and often (especially during the summer months). Nine times out of ten, it's an out of stater but some of the year-rounders from the city are just as bad. I definitely noticed a more "relaxed" attitude on the roads in SWFL compared to here. The only place that was really unbearable in Florida was Miami, at least from my experience. Glad to hear the boaters are friendlier too. I kayak and friendliness on the water means a lot to me.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:38 PM

14,267 posts, read 16,570,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Gee I don't see that. Maybe its you.
I don't think this is a fair statement. You don't know the poster. Yes, people are generally friendly, but maybe the OP has met a lot of very snobby people. There are over 18.8 million people living in Florida, so maybe he met some of the nastier residents. We all make judgments based on our own personal experiences. As I said before, a lot of the time, you need to make an effort to make friends in SWFL. I think it also depends on where you lived before.

I know this is off-topic, but I want to give an example of what I mean. From time to time, I've overheard tourists complaining about the weather. Once I sat next to a family in a restaurant and they were all miserable. "It never stops raining in Florida and it's cold. I thought it was supposed to be sunny here." Well, Florida has consistently over 300 days of sunshine per year, but, unfortunately for them, this family picked a bad week and that's the way they will always remember Florida.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:05 AM

22,564 posts, read 48,714,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I don't think this is a fair statement. You don't know the poster. Yes, people are generally friendly, but maybe the OP has met a lot of very snobby people. There are over 18.8 million people living in Florida, so maybe he met some of the nastier residents. We all make judgments based on our own personal experiences. As I said before, a lot of the time, you need to make an effort to make friends in SWFL. I think it also depends on where you lived before.

I know this is off-topic, but I want to give an example of what I mean. From time to time, I've overheard tourists complaining about the weather. Once I sat next to a family in a restaurant and they were all miserable. "It never stops raining in Florida and it's cold. I thought it was supposed to be sunny here." Well, Florida has consistently over 300 days of sunshine per year, but, unfortunately for them, this family picked a bad week and that's the way they will always remember Florida.
What a great post.

Sad to say but Riko - who is actually a very nice person - only underlined the OP's post.

I think it has to do with perspective to some extent as we have talked about a lot over the years. Actually, I'm pretty sure I talk about it the most. If you are from an area that isn't very friendly then perhaps this area will seem welcoming, talkative, perky and polite.

But I also think there is a different vibe in certain areas of Southwest Florida. For example, I think Cape Coral has always been one of the friendliest areas and it has only become better since the crash. However, when I think back to most of the most aggressive and rudest experiences I had in Southwest Florida they seemed to have all come from the San Carlos Park area. Not to say that everyone is rude in that area. They aren't. But that does seem interesting and of course that is right next to FGCU. However, I think there are a lot of very friendly people in Estero, too, and that is where FGCU sits.

I do think that there is a mixed bag in that area. Lots of transients and transplants can sometimes make for a challenge and challenged people - not to mention older people - can sometimes be cranky. Cape Coral does have a nice vibe though, and this is from someone that lives in one of the most friendly, polite places on the planet.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:44 AM

315 posts, read 574,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoomer View Post
I find the people here--the ones you meet in businesses--polite, but not too friendly. My new neighbors, on the other hand, have all been very friendly and helpful.

The medical profession is my biggest complaint. While they appear to be very competent, they don't really care much about you as a person. They seem to want to get you in and out as fast as possible--I feel like I am on a conveyor belt. Not one doctor so far has asked anything about me--where I'm from, what I do for a living, etc. I suppose they see so many people a day they don't have time to get to know anything about as an individual. The problem with this is that it makes you wonder if they really care enough about you to do what is in your best interest, or are they going to do what is in their best interest.
Its not their job to be your friend, Im sure if some part of your condition having to do with your lifestyle warranted them asking you about your personal life, they would. Does someone need some friends?? :*

Old 12-28-2012, 06:51 AM

315 posts, read 574,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
On the road,unlike up north,we rarely see any overly aggresive driving or road rage.

hmmm not sure if srs???? LOL

Old 12-28-2012, 09:07 PM

29 posts, read 50,329 times
It's alot of fake nice as well. If you don't be 'fake' back then you will get a brunt of rudeness. Also, because people are very in-sincinere, I often get half-ass service.

I'm back at home now where I am originally from, and I'll tell stories of my half-ass 'adventures' at Sports Clips or Starbucks, and normal day-to-day things and people are astounded at how sh*tty customer service and an incomplete service I get, unless I don't speak up about things.

And I've never lived or seen a place where people are so outstandingly seek attention, are rude, or just take for granted how much money they have and how they treat themselves or others. Half of my family lives in third-world country and to see and know how backwards and how much people judge or take for granted simple things, and be mad about silly first-world things in this town really disgust me.

It's seems as if this place is garnered around socio-paths and people who are just plain weird and are very superficial.

Maybe I see notice and see things others don't -- I try to be very philosphical, deep, and I see the "big picture" in alot of things and notice alot of bad things that happen or why they happen. The attitude down here is horrendous and the people are very immature.

I've had alot of bad experiences and they kind of resemble how other people act down here -- and I know it makes me sound like an ignorant douche, but those are my feelings and that is just what I observe down here.

I'm sorry for the folks who take it personally but it's not meant to be that way -- just wish I had better experiences here. (and I'm a born & raised Floridian, I've seen it all from the rich, the poor, from South Florida, to North Florida... and this is the worst place I've ever had the chance to live in or experience in my whole life and around the world! So overrated and I wish I put my money into a better place)

Sometimes it's not the places or things that make a place bad -- it's just the people and an attitude that can really stink up a place.

Moving out ASAP -- Florida may not just be for me, I just don't enjoy snobs or people who take things for granted or don't understand that even though you may not understand someone else, doesn't give you the right to be so rude or uncomfortable or in-genuine. Tired of backwards-ness, and just my $0.02.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:30 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,420,693 times
KC,after reading your posts and finding just the opposite to be true in my experience,I'm thinking that you wouldn't be happy anywhere.You seem like a person with a chip on your shoulder and that always shows in body language.People who are always angry,sullen,argumentative and confrontational carry that cloud over them everywhere they go.Maybe I've got you wrong but,listening to you,it sounds like every man,woman and child in SWF has been rude to you at one time or another.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:00 PM

2,333 posts, read 4,365,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
KC,after reading your posts and finding just the opposite to be true in my experience,I'm thinking that you wouldn't be happy anywhere.You seem like a person with a chip on your shoulder and that always shows in body language.People who are always angry,sullen,argumentative and confrontational carry that cloud over them everywhere they go.Maybe I've got you wrong but,listening to you,it sounds like every man,woman and child in SWF has been rude to you at one time or another.

Sam I agree, I went back through other posts and threads the OP has commented on. every one is negative and uses words like "everyone" . Usually when I see someone saying everyone is...... It is usually them that is the problem. seems like this person is a college student that comes from a low income family and is spiteful towards anyone that is wealthy, and probably is extremely rude to service workers.
I know we've said this about other posters but man this one sure sounds like Yoko with the exception that Estero is the demon as opposed to Cape Coral. but both claim to be students and having family from 3rd world countries and a clear spite/jealousy of people with money. All that we need now to confirm it's yoko under a different screen name is a dislike of german people.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:49 PM

5,495 posts, read 6,361,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc1296426 View Post
It's alot of fake nice as well. If you don't be 'fake' back then you will get a brunt of rudeness. Also, because people are very in-sincinere, I often get half-ass service.

I'm back at home now where I am originally from, and I'll tell stories of my half-ass 'adventures' at Sports Clips or Starbucks, and normal day-to-day things and people are astounded at how sh*tty customer service and an incomplete service I get, unless I don't speak up about things.

And I've never lived or seen a place where people are so outstandingly seek attention, are rude, or just take for granted how much money they have and how they treat themselves or others. Half of my family lives in third-world country and to see and know how backwards and how much people judge or take for granted simple things, and be mad about silly first-world things in this town really disgust me.

It's seems as if this place is garnered around socio-paths and people who are just plain weird and are very superficial.

Maybe I see notice and see things others don't -- I try to be very philosphical, deep, and I see the "big picture" in alot of things and notice alot of bad things that happen or why they happen. The attitude down here is horrendous and the people are very immature.

I've had alot of bad experiences and they kind of resemble how other people act down here -- and I know it makes me sound like an ignorant douche, but those are my feelings and that is just what I observe down here.

I'm sorry for the folks who take it personally but it's not meant to be that way -- just wish I had better experiences here. (and I'm a born & raised Floridian, I've seen it all from the rich, the poor, from South Florida, to North Florida... and this is the worst place I've ever had the chance to live in or experience in my whole life and around the world! So overrated and I wish I put my money into a better place)

Sometimes it's not the places or things that make a place bad -- it's just the people and an attitude that can really stink up a place.

Moving out ASAP -- Florida may not just be for me, I just don't enjoy snobs or people who take things for granted or don't understand that even though you may not understand someone else, doesn't give you the right to be so rude or uncomfortable or in-genuine. Tired of backwards-ness, and just my $0.02.
I was right, it IS you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area