Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 07:02 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times

Advertisements

Several years ago, we did a home exchange in CC and thoroughly enjoyed our three months in a canal front home. Now we are living in Raleigh, NC and thinking about doing a 2-3 month rental in CC.

We would only want a 1-2 bedroom, preferably with some kind of water view. No pool is necessary, but we do have one small mixed breed dog (references and obedience training paperwork available).

We are uncomfortable renting a place on craigslist without viewing it first, and the properties on VRBO are pricey. What would be our chances of finding a decent, short term, furnished rental if we just showed up and stayed in a hotel for a few days while we looked for an available immediately rental? Would it be cheaper since it would be unrented for the high season? Would it be best to show up in January, February or March?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 12:27 PM

22 posts, read 39,089 times
I would think that most seasonal rentals would already be rented out well in advance, especially ones that have a view of some sort of water. My place is no where near water and mine is always booked out 1 year in advance. And as far as cost... January February and March are the PRIMO/top dollar months. My 2 bedroom Ft Myers (small) townhome rents out at almost 2000.00 a month. Not sure what CC is fetching but I would be worried not finding something at a reasonalble price. Most decent places don't have a "cheaper" rate in the winter.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:25 PM

I guess I meant cheaper as in left over, unrented. When we lived in phoenix, there were always last minute rentals available, even in the primo months.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:20 PM

130 posts, read 277,805 times
If you came at the end of March when most snowbirds are heading home, you probably would have more choices and get a better price. Maybe some leave at the end of February - I don't know. If I were doing this, I would have some showings set up before I left home so I was assured of having a few choices.
I just booked a hotel for 9 days early March and I tried several places before I found one that had openings. And we still have to switch rooms three times! But at least we don't have to switch hotels.
If you do this, let us know how it turned out.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:41 AM

621 posts, read 1,422,051 times
I have used rentals from Craigs list a couple of times. Here is a hint to make you more comfortable. First, contact the owner or whoever is renting the property. Then, google them. Google the address. In Florida (Lee County anyway) you can find out who owns the property, and even see photos of it.

By doing that, it made me comfortable that the person advertising the property was actually the real owner. I would never send anyone a check until I was positive they owned the place.

Keep in mind that winter is when most of these rentals are desireable! So yes, you might get lucky but you might not really be happy with the location or the condition of the property. But now and then you could score a great place.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
I have used rentals from Craigs list a couple of times. Here is a hint to make you more comfortable. First, contact the owner or whoever is renting the property. Then, google them. Google the address. In Florida (Lee County anyway) you can find out who owns the property, and even see photos of it.

By doing that, it made me comfortable that the person advertising the property was actually the real owner. I would never send anyone a check until I was positive they owned the place.

Keep in mind that winter is when most of these rentals are desireable! So yes, you might get lucky but you might not really be happy with the location or the condition of the property. But now and then you could score a great place.
Be careful. A criminal can do the same. Then they have the name of the owner and can put their own ad in, with their phone number, but the correct owner's name and address.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:21 AM

I'm thinking we'll do the vrbo thing (the reviews are very helpful), but look at a summer trip. The humidity is pretty bad in Raleigh, and there's no ocean breeze, we have no pool and the summer fishing is pretty bad.

//www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...ne-island.html

Old 12-02-2013, 11:40 AM

22 posts, read 39,089 times
Hot hot hot... but that is the way I like it. Summer is really really less crowded, so there is less traffic. You would definitely have a better time renting April...on. Once you find a rental, best to keep it for the following year. I have had mine rented to the same couple going on 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area