U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 7,155 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I was thrilled to find this forum. My daughter has been accepted in the FGCU for the fall of 2013. I am planning to sell my home here in Syracuse, NY, and move down to the Fort Myers area. I would like to be somewhat close to her, and my Uncle is one of the owners of the KeyWest Express, out of Fort Myers beach. My stepfather also lives in Bradenton.

Now my question: I am doing a lot of looking over the internet at homes. I plan to buy a home because I have two dogs, which are on the restricted breed list, so that will limit my options. I will be divorcing by the time I come down there, and need to figure out what some of the safer areas are. I will also be looking for work, and I have already read that this won't be an easy task. I do legal collection work for an attorney right now, previously owned a large family restaurant here over the past 5 years, owned and operated a tanning salon, banquet bartended at a DoubleTree, etc. I guess I will just have to see what I can find.

There are so many areas where there is a lot of foreclosures and short sales. I will not have a lot of money to spend, maybe the $100,000 range, but I am not afraid of having to do some work on the house. I just want to be in a decent area, where I can enjoy a lot going on, I love to entertain, have company, hang outside at night by a fire and where my dogs won't be a problem.. they are dobermans, and typically rather be inside on my lap then outside. Most ppl do not realize what easy going dogs they are. They love people. They do like to bark, but I actually read they were stand-offish when I did my research, not wanting dogs that were all over your company.... not! In your face with a toy at all times

Anyway..so I am trying to get a handle on the areas and neighborhoods in Cape Coral, as there seems to be housing in my range.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some information.

Merry Christmas!!!!

Sharon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 08:32 AM

154 posts, read 317,271 times
I assume you are planning on paying cash for a home since it would be almost impossible to get a loan without having a job. There are still quite a few homes for sale under $100k in Cape Coral--not on a canal and not with a pool. Most areas are very safe in the Cape but you probably would want to be next to other homes and not on a lot by itself. When looking for a home in that price range make sure you know if it is on a septic tank and well or has city services and check for any "unpaid assessments" which can be thousands of dollars. If you haven't been here before then you need to make at least one trip to see which areas you like--looking at houses on the Internet can be misleading.

As far as the dogs are concerned, I don't know about any restrictions on dobermans but a call to the city hall could answer those questions.

As you know jobs are hard to come by here--why don't you ask your uncle for a job?

Good luck...

Old 12-26-2012, 08:39 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,420,693 times
Hi Sharon....welcome to the forum.The dobermans shouldn't be a problem since you are buying and not renting.Might even find a place with a fence already in......ask your realtor.If you are thinking of the Cape you should be able to find a nice little 3/2/2 in your price range as long as you don't need to be on a canal. Some areas in NW are a little more rural and would be ok for your hounds
Can't comment on the job market but I'll be that if you are determined that you can wiggle your way into a job somewhere......maybe uncle canhelp you network.
Good luck

Old 12-26-2012, 11:48 AM

4 posts, read 7,155 times
Thanks for the replies. I hope to come down in the next few months. The only time I have been to Fort Myers (I visit Bradenton often) is when I have gone to get on my Uncle's boat, so I haven't had a chance to check out the area. I do hope to have him help me network in the area, as he seems to know everyone. As far as working on the boat?? Sounds fun, but... it leaves port at 8am and returns from KeyWest at 11pm, not really the shift I am looking for ).

Anyway, great forum and a way to get to know things. TY!

Sharon

Old 12-26-2012, 01:44 PM

9,441 posts, read 20,740,784 times
You need to come and spend 2-4 weeks...drive around..ask locals (ask here!) about areas and neighborhoods. Do not take the advice of a real estate agent...they will sell you a hole in Pine Manor and call it a manison. lol We will honest, sometimes far too honest, but we won't tell you a place is good if it's isn't. What ever you do, stay away from Lehigh Acres.

As for work...do not come down here without a job unless you have enough cash to live on. Also..unless you are really sure about the area, wait a bit before buying. Finding a rental that will take your dogs won't be that big of an issue...many landlords, apt complex and property managers take dobies..it's the pits they usually ban.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:06 AM

5,495 posts, read 6,361,710 times
There are a lot of lawyers in downtown Fort Myers. If you could somehow get a job with one of them you might want to live near the north bridges that are free. The two Cape Coral Bridges have tolls back from Fort Myers.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 AM

15 posts, read 15,952 times
We purchased a foreclosed home in the Northeast part of Cape Coral, about 1 1/2 years ago. We utilized the Lee County site that auction the homes online. It requires that you do your own due diligence and perhaps have a little (okay a lot)of blind faith. But we got one heck of a deal. As with all homes its a work in progress but its nice. I dont know if the route we took is for everyone. My husband and I have a real estate and construction background so we knew what to look for or look out for. I recommend that if you don't have the experience find a good experienced real estate agent to protect your investment. At any rate we found a 4 bdrm 2 bath for under 80K and it still had the important things attached (a/c, water softner etc) lol.
The other thing I recommend is do a lot of research of the neighborhood if you are concerned about owner occupied v- renter neighbors. With the foreclosures so high down here the number of rentals has increased dramitcally. I dont see that changing unless Cape Corals ecomony improves to the point that the quality of renters goes up (I by no means am saying that renters are bad - but screening by landlords really needs to improve.) or they cant afford to continue renting the homes due to excessive costs to maintain them as rentals.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 AM

4 posts, read 6,293 times
Not a fan of Cape Coral -- but check out south Fort Myers. Many nice subdivisions -- almost all are controlled by home owners associations though -- be sure to ask about the dogs before you look.

How cool that your uncle owns the Key West Express. We are hoping to try it this summer!

Old 01-19-2013, 08:00 AM

693 posts, read 1,776,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyk1 View Post
We purchased a foreclosed home in the Northeast part of Cape Coral, about 1 1/2 years ago. We utilized the Lee County site that auction the homes online. It requires that you do your own due diligence and perhaps have a little (okay a lot)of blind faith. But we got one heck of a deal. As with all homes its a work in progress but its nice. I dont know if the route we took is for everyone. My husband and I have a real estate and construction background so we knew what to look for or look out for. I recommend that if you don't have the experience find a good experienced real estate agent to protect your investment. At any rate we found a 4 bdrm 2 bath for under 80K and it still had the important things attached (a/c, water softner etc) lol.
The other thing I recommend is do a lot of research of the neighborhood if you are concerned about owner occupied v- renter neighbors. With the foreclosures so high down here the number of rentals has increased dramitcally. I dont see that changing unless Cape Corals ecomony improves to the point that the quality of renters goes up (I by no means am saying that renters are bad - but screening by landlords really needs to improve.) or they cant afford to continue renting the homes due to excessive costs to maintain them as rentals.
The sections of Cape Coral, SE, NE, SW, NW are like cities of there own. Unfortunately, you picked by far the worst one. I would agree that you have to research the neighborhood, but the neighborhoods where the screening process for prospective tenants isn't great are the neighborhoods that are most undesirable. Since you bought your house the foreclosures have decreased almost 50% since 2010, so it is getting a lot better. With that said, I would personally avoid the areas nearest the "free bridge" as Rik said. Sure there are some decent areas of there, but it's very hit or miss.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:05 AM

5,495 posts, read 6,361,710 times
I don't think there are bad areas between 41 and 75 on the north side of the river if you stay close to the river. Even the Old Bridge mobile home park is nice if you like that type of home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area