U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,732 times

Advertisements

Hello,

we're from Germany and just bought a condo in sunny Fort Myers. As I've still got to work we're planning to spend at least some winter weeks in the Florida sun. Maybe we'll also be able to come for two fall and two spring weeks. That's not a too long time...

For keeping contact to my German office I need internet. I'm looking for an internet + TV opportunity that I can activate just for short periods of not more than five weeks at a time.

I'm sure there are a lot of snowbirds out there who have been dealing with the same issue.

I'm looking forward to your recommendations - thanks in advance!

Jürgen

...and if there are Germans reading this: Ich spiele gern Skat - gibts noch andere Spieler?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 11:43 AM

5,495 posts, read 6,361,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnygolf2 View Post
Hello,

we're from Germany and just bought a condo in sunny Fort Myers. As I've still got to work we're planning to spend at least some winter weeks in the Florida sun. Maybe we'll also be able to come for two fall and two spring weeks. That's not a too long time...

For keeping contact to my German office I need internet. I'm looking for an internet + TV opportunity that I can activate just for short periods of not more than five weeks at a time.

I'm sure there are a lot of snowbirds out there who have been dealing with the same issue.

I'm looking forward to your recommendations - thanks in advance!

Jürgen

...and if there are Germans reading this: Ich spiele gern Skat - gibts noch andere Spieler?
When I first moved here I used free antenna TV. It was HD and I could get about 7 or 8 good stations.AntennaWeb - Address
I have not found a good internet provider. I am paying $67mo for comcast and it is very slow. They have higher speeds for more money. It seems like a lot for just internet though.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:00 PM

518 posts, read 1,082,018 times
I use free tv also. I use mifi for the internet. Its 50.00 per month works almost anywhere on the go.Its the size of a credit card. Virgin makes them.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:48 PM

296 posts, read 387,466 times
Use free over the air TV. For Computer, we use a smart phone as a wireless hot spot and tether it to our lap top computer.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:47 PM

9,441 posts, read 20,740,784 times
I doubt you're going to find a provider ( Comcast, Century Link etc) that is going to give only a months service or so...they do seasonal service, but it's 5-6 mths..not weeks.

As for internet, you can find free wifi all over the place. I personally wouldn't use it, it's not secure, but its there. You can buy an aircard as well.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:52 PM

35 posts, read 44,838 times
I called Comcast recently about the same thing. They told me they have a 7 - 4 plan.
You can have service for 7 months on and 4 months off, or visa versa. When it's off
you pay $5 per month. One switch per year.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:06 PM

5,495 posts, read 6,361,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I doubt you're going to find a provider ( Comcast, Century Link etc) that is going to give only a months service or so...they do seasonal service, but it's 5-6 mths..not weeks.

As for internet, you can find free wifi all over the place. I personally wouldn't use it, it's not secure, but its there. You can buy an aircard as well.
I spent a lot of time in Bob Evans parking lot using their WiFi. They got plenty of business from us too.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:37 PM

2,333 posts, read 4,365,296 times
my parents use to turn the internet on for 6 months then suspend for 6 months. now my father gets a verizon mifi card (i think it's $40 a month) he can bring it anywhere that theres cell service. The mifi for a smartphone is a good idea as well if you have a smartphone I think it's only an extra $10 or so to activate it. but don't quote me on that. speeds are not as fast as cable, or fibreoptics, but to me they were fine.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:05 AM

14,267 posts, read 16,570,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
I spent a lot of time in Bob Evans parking lot using their WiFi. They got plenty of business from us too.
LOL...I've used internet everywhere for years (even McDonald's!) and never had any trouble, although I realize there's always some risk. Maybe I've been lucky, but I've traveled a lot and sat in parking lots many times! Using a good firewall and anti-virus is always a good idea, however. Publix now has WiFi too so you can surf the net on your iPhone while you're in the checkout line. So far nobody has cleaned out my bank accounts or gone shopping on my credit cards. I'm more worried about using a shopping cart at Walmart or a public toilet!

Old 12-28-2012, 04:54 PM

260 posts, read 485,240 times
I'm not sure about how this would work in Germany but....We have a cabin up in the north Georgia mountains. rather than pay for cable or satellite in two places. I paid direct tv to set up (just) a sattelite dish up there, since we have already have direct tv here, when we go up there I just pack up my receiver and plug it in up there.

Works just fine, except I don't get local channels when I am up there. That doesn't solve your Internet problem though...good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area