U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 05:01 PM

220 posts, read 678,064 times

Advertisements

I am in the SW off of Surfside, not far from Sandoval. Very quiet area with easy access to Veterans. rte. 75. Mostly residential homes but there are condos on or off Aqulinda with easy access as well. Close to schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 AM

693 posts, read 1,764,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ~LuLu View Post
I am in the SW off of Surfside, not far from Sandoval. Very quiet area with easy access to Veterans. rte. 75. Mostly residential homes but there are condos on or off Aqulinda with easy access as well. Close to schools.
They have a budget under $950, Surfside is most definitely out of the running.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:02 AM

621 posts, read 1,121,952 times
Pine Island! About as safe as you can get!!!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
Pine Island! About as safe as you can get!!!
And about as far as you can get from where the guy is working.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:55 AM

8 posts, read 43,047 times
Take a look at The Forum or Gateway - Easy Commute, Very Kid Friendly

Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 PM

9 posts, read 14,468 times
I live a bit east of Santa Barbara north of Pine Island Road. The neighborhood is surrounded on 3 sides with a canal, so there is very little traffic. Kids bike and play ball in the road. Many of the homes were foreclosures bought up by investors who rent them out, so there are nice houses coming up for rent all the time. I saw one up the street just the other day if you are interested in looking here.
There is a mix of young famlies with children and older folks like me in the neighborhood. We have been here 2 years with no problems. There is some crime now and then but most people who live here are honest, working folks or retirees.
This neighborhood is about 7 miles from downtown Fort Myers and would not be a bad commute for your husband. The bridge to downtown does not have any tolls, so that would be a savings versus the southern parts of the Cape.
The worst thing about the neighborhood is that there aren't a lot of trees.
There are several nice shopping areas and a movie theater within a few miles.
It takes about 45 minutes to drive the 20 odd miles to Fort Myers Beach. The city's water park is a couple miles away and the Cape Parks Department has quite a few activities for children. I don't know anything about the schools. You will want to check into that, too.
Good luck in your search!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:30 PM

8 posts, read 43,047 times
I'm not sure if you are still around/interested. I asked where you were from and I didn't get an answer? i hesitate giving info without having your background.
Honestly, I probably would not come here if I were you. I hate to say that, again because I don't know what you are used to. I certainly would not buy here but, that is my personal opinion. You get what you pay for. Why do you think the houses are so cheap here. Yes, you can get a nice house for cheap and it's #3 or 4 on the list for the best rebound but there is nothing here. Unless you boat or fish, it's really not happening. The coast/beaches are hard to get to without a boat. I here all this stuff about city utilites/etc which I don;t get involved in because we did not buy. You can not drink the water and the water bill is about $100.00 per month for a family of 3 who do not use much. They charge you $48.00/month even if you use no water. Sometimes the water smells so bad from the sprinkler system you can't go outside. The electric is LCEC and it's more then FPL. The traffic is very mild here, not much stress.
Cape Coral has some very pretty neighborhoods, South of the parkway is very pretty. Cape Harbor, Marina Village and the yacht club area. The other nice areas are Coranado, Pelican, Palm Tree, Country Club. Much of the rest is run down, old, rural and looks a bit ghetto. The movie theather shopping center is really a knock down. We drive over the bridge to FT myers to go to the movies and pay the toll. They have no nice plazzas or shopping areas. Bell Tower, Gulf Coast Town Center, Coconut Pointe, Miramar are all the places you must travel to for mall type items, which if you live in the south cape you must pay a bridge and if you live in the north cape you are in trouble for shopping. It's a very incovinient place to live. I think the schools and park and rec program are decent but don't forget about the school choice thing. Bussing kids everywhere. Don't forget about RSW one of the most expensive airpots to use, Don't forget about the beach parking fees, Sarasota is FREE,. Yes, it is up to you and what you like, are looking for and used to. We will probably be moving on here soon but I must say Cape Coral was good to us in the short term. We could never imagine raising kids her or staying here for very long.

Don't rule out Punta Gorda. It;s got potential and it's beautiful!!!

Ok, let the abuse begin!!!!!!!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The City View Post
I'm not sure if you are still around/interested. I asked where you were from and I didn't get an answer? i hesitate giving info without having your background.
Honestly, I probably would not come here if I were you. I hate to say that, again because I don't know what you are used to. I certainly would not buy here but, that is my personal opinion. You get what you pay for. Why do you think the houses are so cheap here. Yes, you can get a nice house for cheap and it's #3 or 4 on the list for the best rebound but there is nothing here. Unless you boat or fish, it's really not happening. The coast/beaches are hard to get to without a boat. I here all this stuff about city utilites/etc which I don;t get involved in because we did not buy. You can not drink the water and the water bill is about $100.00 per month for a family of 3 who do not use much. They charge you $48.00/month even if you use no water. Sometimes the water smells so bad from the sprinkler system you can't go outside. The electric is LCEC and it's more then FPL. The traffic is very mild here, not much stress.
Cape Coral has some very pretty neighborhoods, South of the parkway is very pretty. Cape Harbor, Marina Village and the yacht club area. The other nice areas are Coranado, Pelican, Palm Tree, Country Club. Much of the rest is run down, old, rural and looks a bit ghetto. The movie theather shopping center is really a knock down. We drive over the bridge to FT myers to go to the movies and pay the toll. They have no nice plazzas or shopping areas. Bell Tower, Gulf Coast Town Center, Coconut Pointe, Miramar are all the places you must travel to for mall type items, which if you live in the south cape you must pay a bridge and if you live in the north cape you are in trouble for shopping. It's a very incovinient place to live. I think the schools and park and rec program are decent but don't forget about the school choice thing. Bussing kids everywhere. Don't forget about RSW one of the most expensive airpots to use, Don't forget about the beach parking fees, Sarasota is FREE,. Yes, it is up to you and what you like, are looking for and used to. We will probably be moving on here soon but I must say Cape Coral was good to us in the short term. We could never imagine raising kids her or staying here for very long.

I will do my best not to abuse you while disagreeing wholeheartedly.

Can you please define "nothing here?" Within 20 miles there is everything of a big city with the exception of a massive downtown area and tons of clubs. If you want a place that has absolutely nothing, Punta Gorda is it. The beaches are hard to get to unless you have a boat? Do you also not have a car? Heck even if you don't have a car you can take Lee Tran from just about anywhere in Lee County and get to the beaches. They are very easy to get to, you just have to use some common sense when you are deciding when to hit the beach. A bright sunny Saturday in January would not be a good choice. From the middle of March to Thanksgiving you will almost never hit traffic and will find more than adequate parking. If you must go during season, plan for the entire day a leave early and you will be fine.

In all the years I have lived here I have never ran into an issue where the recycled water used in sprinklers smelled so bad I couldn't go outside, honestly I never even notice the smell. You can drink the water if you so choose and wouldn't have any issues, you might not like the flavor. The city uses a double RO system and the water is tested hourly, so it is safe, I personally use a system of my own as well, but that is personal preference. A 4 stage Brita does the job too. The water bills are not extreme compared to other parts of the country unless you have a leak or leave your water running in your pool for days. A lot of the people that complain about water bills being astronomical are the ones with automatic levelers on their pools that stick or people that have the old PVC running from the meter the house that leak profusely underground leaving no signs of a significant leak. It does kind of stink that you have to pay $50 even if you don't use the water, but that's the price you pay having a vacation home. If you are paying $100 without a pool for a family of 3 year around, something is wrong. My bill is the same amount with a pretty big pool, for a family of 4.

Some areas South of the Parkway are very nice, others are not, so that is not a great overview of that area. Coronado, Pelican, Palm Tree, and Country Club have some of the most run down neighborhoods in the city. You need to checkout the direct access neighborhoods East of Del Prado, Surfside along with the majority of the SW, some of the NW is also very nice. You obviously don't get out much. It is your own prerogative whether you go over the bridge or not. For most everyday shopping there is more than enough places to find your basic, everyday needs. For a nice big shopping trip, then yes Cape Coral leaves a lot to be desired, but it also keeps the traffic down, so you have to take the good with the bad. The movie theater is fine, it is the exact same thing that is at Bell Tower, except you don't have to worry about your car getting broken into at night if you stay in the Cape and I have had this happen twice at Bell Tower. If you go over the bridge frequently, you a buy a Leeway Pass and save quite a bit of money over the course of a year. It is not inconvenient to drive less than 10 minutes to get to just any store you can think of in my opinion, but apparently you like you living across the street from the mall and traveling anymore than a block is just a hassle.

I will agree the school of choice thing is a joke and always tell people private schools are the way to go. The park and rec department however is very good and always offer something for the entire family. I have also had no issues with RSW being expensive, I actually find it very convenient and reasonable for what it is. I fly to Boston, NYC, Jersey, and Chicago frequently and usually can get round trip most of the year for less than $200. So unless you are flying to Australia, it isn't bad. Ahh the beach parking. Most of the parking on Fort Myers Beach is private property, so of course they are going to charge you. The county parking is $2 an hour. That money goes to beach preservation and maintaining the facilities that YOU use every time you go to the beach, bathrooms, boardwalks, bike paths, landscaping, etc. If you don't like it, shell out the $2,000,000 and buy yourself a nice piece of property on the beach, enjoy the $15,000 a year taxes so you can save $10 when you go to the beach once a month.

I respect your opinion, but you are clearly soured on this area, to give people advise is just ridiculous, especially advise based on observations that aren't true. I am not sure how long you have been here or what line of work you are in, but I would guess it is a safe assumption that you haven't been here very long and are either in some kind of trade (i.e. construction) or service industry (i.e. food service), not that there is anything wrong with either one. But when you haven't been here long enough to get established and there is no work because the market is so saturated that people are working for minimum wage just to make a few bucks (construction) or you go from making $400 a night in season to $40 a night during the summer and refuse to save (Food service) it's hard to enjoy a place like Florida. Good luck wherever you move, just remember the grass isn't always greener!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:11 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,332,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In The City View Post

No abuse here, not everyone is going to like a place. I love boating and fishing so to me it is paradise. for someone that doesn't obviously a different story. when I was little I hated the beaches of cape cod mass. I didn't like sand, the salt water , seaweed, rocky shoreline, and the water was freezing, traffic absolutely attrocious. To others the area was utopia. I think it's good when people give the other side. there's a big difference between someone that comes on and gives an opinion that is well thought out and gives examples. Some people on this board are constantly misrepresenting facts. It's good that people will expect water bills, and that the water quality may not be as good as Maine, NH, VT and to factor in Airfares, and tolls and parking fees

Old 01-08-2013, 05:57 PM

91 posts, read 182,448 times
Best to come down and drive through the neighborhoods. The speed at which a neighborhood goes from awesome to messy can be pretty stark. Generally speaking finding housing will not likely be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area