U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:51 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,010,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbabe73 View Post
Oh my... what did I start here? I'm not sure what to say now that this has turned into a war about the economy. All the issues with job security are very real and definitely stink, but that conversation wasn't really what I was trying to achieve. I was simply looking for advice on the local area that were things maybe I couldn't find on the internet with my research pertaining to housing places to target for a job search. I'm sorry this went in such a direction of the bad economy. I mentioned all my various background (engineering, medical, etc.) to allow people to think of more than one area of employment to give me clues. Times constantly change and I have been fortunate enough to change careers and have some great long lasting jobs over the years. I'm afraid to see where this comment will lead the conversation now, so I will close for now.

I would like to thank Hemidancer and Florida Paradise for some positive info. And also to xoomer- never been to Texas, might have to plan a vacation and check it out.

Thank you to everyone for their comments, all are appreciated because it does help give insight (even if it isn't what I want to hear.) My love of Florida may be the ruin of me- haha!

If you plan on moving here you may as well be informed about the economy.
Because, this is what they said in the nineties, and it's still true today.

""It's the economy, stupid" is a slight variation of the phrase "The economy, stupid" which James Carville had coined as a campaign strategist of Bill Clinton's Campaign."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 07:27 PM

5 posts, read 9,725 times
Default nice place to visit but BAD place to live

I moved to fort myers 4 yrs ago and I can't wait to get out of here, some very bad things happened to me when the econemy went boom and I had to start over again so I let a good friend ( he was the first to screw me over) talk me into moving here .......... this may sound bitter but live here for a while and you will find out for your self ..... there is no industy (factory) jobs, little to no blue collar work, the jobs that are here pay 1/2 of what you can make anywhere else, and employers take advantage of that ..... the people here, well.. the moto should be (do onto others before they do onto you) and it's not that everyone is that way but thoes of us that don't do that can't trust anybody from being burned to much ..... if you have money this is probibly a pretty good place to be, but if you have to work for a living I would think twice about SW Fl. ... and be carfull who you put your trust in

Old 05-26-2013, 07:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,258 times
Default looking to move to winkler and metro

Looking at a condo corner of winkler and metro. Gated with businesses surrounding. Does anyone know about this area? Opinions of that specific area would be helpful nit just 33916.

Thank you

Old 05-26-2013, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,258 times
Default also

Looking into riverwalk condos on first next to bridge leading to CC.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:04 PM

22,564 posts, read 48,714,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott7925 View Post
Looking at a condo corner of winkler and metro. Gated with businesses surrounding. Does anyone know about this area? Opinions of that specific area would be helpful nit just 33916.

Thank you
There are a couple of ghetto apartment complexes that are right there.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,238 times
Sunbabe73 I just tried to reach you via Sunbabe73@hotmail.com and was unsuccessful. I wrote you a note saying that my husband and I are thinking of doing the same thing. We live in IL and also will have to sell a house before we do anything. I would love to talk to you more. You can reach me at Sandyhtchns@aol.com if you are interested in chatting! Hope to hear from you!

Old 02-09-2014, 03:57 PM

49 posts, read 68,528 times
Sunbabe... Jacksonville/st. Augustine is a great mix for life and jobs. It's a thriving area and low cost of living. Unlike PA cities, much of the business community is spread out so a commute to one downtown area is not necessarily the case. Ft Myers is much more of a laid back town with not as many opps if you are still in your working years.

For larger cities where you can thrive.. Jax is the nicest all around in FL. Just my opinion.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:14 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,420,693 times
Totally agree about Jax for work/biz opportunities but the weather is a big factor.
Jax is far enough north to be in that belt of weather that goes accross the panhandle........if you want blue sky and sunshine you'll want to be south of Sarasota

Old 02-11-2014, 05:21 PM

5 posts, read 32,448 times
Thank you so much Samiamnh and BPPT232 for the positive and helpful info- much appreciated!!! You've given me something to think about. Hubby and I are still in the planning phase and have looked at Jax & LOVE St. Augustine, but definitely would rather be somewhere that is blue skies and sunshine which is a big part of why we are moving. We are still in our working years so, we have to be practical too about it all. Hmmmmm...

Sandyhtchns- I will email you and we can trade stories

Old 06-21-2017, 06:59 AM

1 posts, read 384 times
My husband and I plan on moving to Ft. Myers in Sept. I have been following your posts because of my search. It is now 2017, are you in Florida? Did you find jobs? I am searching for job, but it's probably too early. My husband will be working with his dad's landscaping business. So, he has a job, just need to find one for me and we want to get a nice apt with pool and view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area