U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 13,048 times

Advertisements

We own a condo in Fort Myers off of San Carlos and vacation down here in the winters. Being from Virginia, we have either lived off city water or well water back home and never experienced any problems with drinking water. Occasionally hard water in the more mountainous parts of the state, but nothing unusual.

Whenever we return to Ft. Myers for the winters, we have to keep the water running for an hour or so to remove the very pungent sulphur smell from the water. Drinking the water from the tap at home or at restaurants causes all of us to experience stomach issues. Without getting too graphic, I'll just say that it gets really bad, so we've resorted to drinking bottled water exclusively. Our dogs get the same symptoms, and now give them bottled water also. SW Florida is very nice, but the water situation is frustrating.

Does anyone else have these issues or are we just crazy? What do you suggest? We don't have any problems in Virginia, have been very scientific about the potential causes and concluded that it must be the tap water around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 05:10 PM

4,929 posts, read 5,857,506 times
Same problem!
I don't know anyone who doesn't drink bottled water exclusively.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:50 PM

518 posts, read 1,081,831 times
Isn't it great. We pay sky high water rates and you can't even drink it. Anything that turns my toilet bowl water light tan with just the water in it I would never drink. I sometimes wonder what it does to you over the years from just taking showers in it.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:16 PM

199 posts, read 463,523 times
You are not crazy - the tap water down here is pretty awful. I live over in Cape Coral and have the same problem. Apparently many homeowners install reverse osmosis systems to filter their tap water. I rent, so I just use a Brita filter on my kitchen sink, but the laundry and shower water are still pretty funky. Still trying to adjust. I am also from VA - water was much better there!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:01 PM

518 posts, read 1,081,831 times
I live in the Colorado rocky mnts. part time at 11,000 ft and the water is perfect. But, I was born here in Florida and the water has always been bad and it has only gotten worst over the years.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:10 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,009,771 times
We have good water.
Can drink it straight from the tap have been doing so since we moved here.
It is over priced but the quality is good in our neighborhood and have heard no complaints for the others in the area.
Maybe you should have your system checked out and see that you are hooked up correctly.
It could be that there is some contamination from the irrigation water in some places.
It wouldn't surprise me if the morons around here hooked peoples house water to the irrigation system.
Never know it could be!

Old 01-12-2013, 05:11 AM

9,441 posts, read 20,726,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolvirginia View Post
We own a condo in Fort Myers off of San Carlos and vacation down here in the winters. Being from Virginia, we have either lived off city water or well water back home and never experienced any problems with drinking water. Occasionally hard water in the more mountainous parts of the state, but nothing unusual.

Whenever we return to Ft. Myers for the winters, we have to keep the water running for an hour or so to remove the very pungent sulphur smell from the water. Drinking the water from the tap at home or at restaurants causes all of us to experience stomach issues. Without getting too graphic, I'll just say that it gets really bad, so we've resorted to drinking bottled water exclusively. Our dogs get the same symptoms, and now give them bottled water also. SW Florida is very nice, but the water situation is frustrating.

Does anyone else have these issues or are we just crazy? What do you suggest? We don't have any problems in Virginia, have been very scientific about the potential causes and concluded that it must be the tap water around here.
City water does not smell like sulphur...it would smell more like chlorine..a slight smell of chlorine.

I suggest you contact your HOA and ask them where your water comes from...city or well..and have the system checked.

I live in Fort Myers and drink my tap water everyday...it tastes a helluva better that the tap water in Cape Coral ( that's like drinking heavily chlorinated pool water) When I visit family and friends over there, I always bring bottled water.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 AM

3 posts, read 15,137 times
We're in CC and drink the tap water everyday and have not had any water-related health issues. Taste of the water is probably a matter of opinion but I have no issues with the CC water. The dual water delivery system in CC is a great idea, cuts the cost significantly and you don't waste good water irrigating the lawn.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:00 AM

40,069 posts, read 19,415,709 times
I live in Ft Myers and I drink the tap water and use it to make coffee. I had a hard time getting used to "running the water" doesnt help get a cold glass of water in the summer.....the air, soil etc are all so hot....there isnt any natural cooling! But the water doesnt make me or the animals sick.

The water isnt as delicous as back in Maine.....our water came from the aquafer near Poland Springs.....world famous for good water. But I am not complaining.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:02 AM

254 posts, read 360,351 times
Assuming you are on city water...

Sounds like your anode rod in your water heater has gone bad. Call a plumber and have them replace it. Go for a zinc-Aluminum anode rod.

PS...Our family only drinks tap water (for the most part) and have never had an issue with taste or other effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area