U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:38 AM

4 posts, read 6,293 times

Advertisements

From MI and spend a ton of time on FMB. I think it is a great place to visit, but I wouldn't live there, especially if I had school aged children. There is an elementary school on the island, but I can't imagine the bus ride to the middle school or high school during high season. Also, much of FMB is snow-birds and retirees -- I can't think that your kids would be happy living there. The same would be true of Sanibel.

If you really want to move there try buying a house in Fort Myers. The Gateway development includes schools and lots of families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 07:45 AM

693 posts, read 1,776,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddlejumper69 View Post
I am glad we are coming in the high season then, it will be good to see it at its worst. We are staying on the island so we should get a real feel for it. I should mention that we are looking at homes near the bridge end of the island specifically because of what we have heard about traffic in the high season. Thanks!
I grew up on FMB before the school of choice so I went to the little school out there, then to South Fort Myers High School. It's a decent little school. But they now have school of choice in Lee County so there is no guarantee you will go there. Living on the island gives you like a 75% chance, but still guarantees nothing. You are looking at homes in the $500k range, so you must have decent income, if I were you and are really thinking about moving to the area I would take a serious look at private schools. The public school system outside of Sanibel School on Sanibel is not great.

The busiest area of Sanibel is near the causeway, so you will be doing yourself no favors by looking in that area to avoid traffic. The good news for you living out there is most of the time you will probably be going against the traffic instead of with it. Like leaving the island in the morning and returning in the evening, etc. It will still be a huge pain, but it won't be as bad as the tourists going out to the beaches at 8 in the morning.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:01 AM

3 posts, read 7,176 times
Default For the Best Quality of Life in the Country Live on Sanibel

There are housing options on Sanibel at your price point. Things to consider: the Sanibel school is consistently THE number one school in test scores EVERY year, out scoring even the highest ranked private schools. If you live on the Island your child receives an education worth 40k - 50k annually; you must visit the new public $14 m recreation center, open to all, Sanibel residents have access at an extremely low rate (they give free tours or you can purchase a day or week pass to test drive while you are here - does include pools , tennis courts, weight room numerous classes: all as part of your membership) attend the Farmers' Market on Sunday morning, 8-1, Sanibel City Hall. with two fine grocery store & the Farmers Market you do not NEED to leave the Island in season unless you want to...that is why Sanibel is so desirable as a location to live...even more so than to visit.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:13 PM

6 posts, read 13,860 times
Default Thanks for all the info

We visited Sanibel in February spent a week exploring and getting to know the community. We fell in love with the place. While there we toured a number of properties and figured out where on the island we would want to be. The warnings about the traffic in high season are right on point, but we will be able to bike wherever we need to go, except for my daughter getting to school, but she'll be going against the majority of traffic flow so it shouldn't be too bad.

We returned in May and inspected a property we found on the internet and we close on the home at the end of June. Everyone is excited about the move. It will be a big change for all of us, and there are cons as well as lots of pros, but we believe it is a great place for our family to grow up. The Sanibel School is amazing, and we found a great arts-focused high school for our daughter. The rec center is awesome, and the community overall just has the "right feel".
One month to go and good bye Michigan!

Old 06-10-2013, 12:26 AM

3 posts, read 7,176 times
Keep us posted on your transition....if you have not so yet strongly recommend you sign up on the City's homepage for "News You Can Use" to receive all the community announcements...Judie Zimomra, Sanibel City Manager...if you ever have ANY issues you can reach me at j.zimomra@mysanibel.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area