U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2013, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Cape Coral, FL
154 posts, read 314,288 times
Reputation: 132

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom79 View Post
Can't believe in this day an age they let what could be a beautiful town run down like that!! I'm from up north ,, and even the vacant lots get taken care of..
I don't understand why something couldn't have been done but it is worse in Detroit where they bulldoze down homes because they can't even sell them for a few thousand dollars and it's cheaper and safer just to be done with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2013, 10:51 AM
 
5 posts, read 21,115 times
Reputation: 30
Lehigh can look scary but isn't that bad. You'd be surprised how much crime equally occurs in other areas of Lee County, but most people will deny it.

You can't judge a place sometimes by looking at it, you don't know anything until you lived there. Some parts of Lehigh are great, especially the west ends. Families DO live here you know, and thrive. Many elementary schools are here.

Stop the paranoia and judgements and don't knock something until you try it. No one has taught you guys this while growing up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
374 posts, read 694,229 times
Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLbornraised View Post
Lehigh can look scary but isn't that bad. You'd be surprised how much crime equally occurs in other areas of Lee County, but most people will deny it.

You can't judge a place sometimes by looking at it, you don't know anything until you lived there. Some parts of Lehigh are great, especially the west ends. Families DO live here you know, and thrive. Many elementary schools are here.

Stop the paranoia and judgements and don't knock something until you try it. No one has taught you guys this while growing up?
Why would one want to try something on for size if it isn't returnable. When you buy, or rent for that matter, there is a huge up front cost that you can't get back. It is an expensive proposition to buy in Lehigh only to find out it is a crap hole. And even if your particular home or area isn't a "crap hole" it has the stigma that it does. Why buy in an area that doesn't encourage an uptick in your investment dollar. Let's face it, buying a home is an investment (of time and money) You always buy hoping that if you sell in a few years... you sell for more than you bought. and further more... why rent if you are stuck in a lease and if not, you still have MOVING COSTS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2013, 10:29 AM
 
12 posts, read 37,572 times
Reputation: 15
It's not about paranoiA.. Crime happens everywhere,, but a semi ghost town,"wild west" mentality doesn't really appeal to most people... And if all the long term residents keep defending it,, clean it up!!! Who would want to be surrounded by vacant lots and abandoned homes?? Out here that's just asking for crime,, which is y they tear down vacant homes and manicure vacant lots.. It's so sad to see a waste of a golden opportunity,,beautiful homes,, what's the issue??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:06 AM
 
Location: The Conterminous United States
22,564 posts, read 48,494,440 times
Reputation: 13435
Sure there is crime throughout Lee County and also this country but that doesn't mean you want to live next to a gang banger, another one with barking pitbulls and boarded-up houses. Yes, there are schools in Lehigh Acres. There are schools in Memphis, Detroit and Flint, Michigan, too. Having schools is a selling point?

The biggest turning point for Lehigh was when they closed down Fort Myers' largest and nastiest housing project during the housing boom. Due to Lehigh's location it was the last bastion for affordable housing in Lee County so the poor, the gangs, the dealers located there in droves. It was still overpriced but it was the only place left to go. Then the housing crash happened. Hard-working folks that lost jobs and/or became underwater in their mortgages moved away. Prices hit rock bottom and more of the poor and the morally bereft moved in. This is what is left. There are people that work there, yes, but a lot of them had no idea what they were getting into. Most avoid it. Apparently it is heavily marketed to out-of-staters that have no idea what the area is all about.

We get the Lehigh question all the time; we have for years. People generally ask us the same question over and over hoping for a different answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
374 posts, read 694,229 times
Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Sure there is crime throughout Lee County and also this country but that doesn't mean you want to live next to a gang banger, another one with barking pitbulls and boarded-up houses. Yes, there are schools in Lehigh Acres. There are schools in Memphis, Detroit and Flint, Michigan, too. Having schools is a selling point?

The biggest turning point for Lehigh was when they closed down Fort Myers' largest and nastiest housing project during the housing boom. Due to Lehigh's location it was the last bastion for affordable housing in Lee County so the poor, the gangs, the dealers located there in droves. It was still overpriced but it was the only place left to go. Then the housing crash happened. Hard-working folks that lost jobs and/or became underwater in their mortgages moved away. Prices hit rock bottom and more of the poor and the morally bereft moved in. This is what is left. There are people that work there, yes, but a lot of them had no idea what they were getting into. Most avoid it. Apparently it is heavily marketed to out-of-staters that have no idea what the area is all about.

We get the Lehigh question all the time; we have for years. People generally ask us the same question over and over hoping for a different answer.
Perfect response... nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Patriot Nation
52 posts, read 99,064 times
Reputation: 40
Default Just returned from Lehigh Acres

I just returned from spending 5 days in the FT. Myers Lehigh Acres area. The worst thing I can say about Lehigh is 'It's not a affluent community" I looked at the residential areas and the homes are priced right.
If you can deal with the flatness of it all and the spareness of landscaping it's not as much of a horror show as some peeps here make it out to be.
I drove here and there, did a lot of meeting and greeting. Talked to the local sheriffs at the Race Trac and
came away with the impression that people in Lehigh Acres are a whole lot friendlier than those in the greater Boston area. In fact I failed to see anyone looked or acted like a gang member, slumlord or lowlife.
I must have been that one in a million who didn't get the same impression as some here on the message board. Actually the worst thing about the whole trip was the taste of Ft. Myers tap water!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
374 posts, read 694,229 times
Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD0123 View Post
I just returned from spending 5 days in the FT. Myers Lehigh Acres area. The worst thing I can say about Lehigh is 'It's not a affluent community" I looked at the residential areas and the homes are priced right.
If you can deal with the flatness of it all and the spareness of landscaping it's not as much of a horror show as some peeps here make it out to be.
I drove here and there, did a lot of meeting and greeting. Talked to the local sheriffs at the Race Trac and
came away with the impression that people in Lehigh Acres are a whole lot friendlier than those in the greater Boston area. In fact I failed to see anyone looked or acted like a gang member, slumlord or lowlife.
I must have been that one in a million who didn't get the same impression as some here on the message board. Actually the worst thing about the whole trip was the taste of Ft. Myers tap water!!!
Well it's not like the gang members are going to walk out to greet you. The crime in Lehigh is there behind close doors of the nice 3 bedroom houses that sometimes are quite newer looking... but were so low in price (due to the housing crash) that they became accessible to all walks of life (and economic standing) Add in as a previous poster commented, that the hosing develoopments were tore down in Ft. Myers. The Criminals that could afford to buy...bought, and those who could not buy....rent, from investors whom are just happy to get a tenant in the house. The reality is... even if you think the area looks good or is heading in the direction of being a decent area to live... history has prven time and time again... that it never really improves and that it continues to be a land & housing scam. It would be interesting to find out what percentage of homes are HUD homes? Can one access that info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 12:41 PM
 
Location: The Conterminous United States
22,564 posts, read 48,494,440 times
Reputation: 13435
Exactly. A lot of northerners think that the ghettoes in Florida will look the same as up north. They don't. And in Lehigh it is especially deceiving because a lot of those homes are new or built in the past 20 years or so. They don't have that ghetto "look." In fact most of them look the same as the homes in Cape Coral. Unfortunately, that is where the similarities end. There are a LOT of non-owner occupied homes in Lehigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2013, 12:42 PM
 
71 posts, read 255,909 times
Reputation: 42
Do your research before buying in Lehigh . Investors listing houses way above their appraised values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top