U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 AM

154 posts, read 315,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdantes View Post
You would think with that many lanes, traffic would NEVER back up lol.
You would think that! The problem is that if there is a wreck the traffic on one side is backed-up because of the wreck and on the other side of the freeway it is backed-up because of "rubberneckers".

Houston really needs some decent public transportation. When I was a kid they installed a test monorail which would have been great but the politicians didn't have the guts to go through with it because of the expense. I suppose in the next few years the 26 lanes will be expanded to 100 lanes if it is business as usual at city hall.

Last edited by xoomer; 01-20-2013 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 01:51 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,771,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoomer View Post
I don't know about pollution in Tampa or Nashville, but in Cape coral it is non-existent--maybe because of the the proximity to the ocean, the lack of industry, or fewer cars.
Cape Coral is nice, but it's expensive and the nearest large city (Ft. Myers doesn't count) is Tampa, which is 2 1/2 hours away. I'd agree that the pollution is non-existent in Cape Coral because of a lack of population, industry, and vehicles.

Quote:
Housing has always been affordable in Houston but Cape Coral was hit so hard that the prices went to rock bottom. I wanted a waterfront home with pool--almost unheard of in Houston--and the price here was much lower than anything comparable in the Houston area. Tiki Island and Bayou Vista were about the only places something was available but the insurance rates and taxes were at least three times higher than here. If you just want a "regular" house, I don't think there would be much difference in price between the two cities.
Looking at Real Estate in Cape Coral, it doesn't seem like the housing market has taken too much of a hit, or if it has, then prices were just completely insane! While comparing Cape Coral to Galveston, it appears similar, but you also have to take into consideration the job market and being able to make a living. Galveston is a fairly large size city on the coast. Cape Coral is not.

Quote:
My car insurance is just about the same here as in Texas, about what you are paying, but my coverage is much higher here.
Yeah, but my coverage is all I need, and I don't have to deal with the headaches of being in a "no-fault" state.

Quote:
Maybe global warming is causing the weather to change in Houston? When I lived there I had summer and winter clothes--it often got below freezing in the winter--we quit trying to keep tropical plants because they all died.
Must be, LoL... It's rarely gotten below freezing since I've lived here for the last 3 years. However, in that time I've seen a streak of like 40 straight days in the summer of over 100 degrees, and one summer of severe drought.

Quote:
"...1981, the year the city was dubbed the murder capital of the United States when it
tallied 701 homicides."
Houston Chronicle

Houston is great for making a living, but Cape Coral is great for living.
CRIME RATES RISE IN NEW YORK CITY - NYTimes.com

Quote:
The commander of the department's office of management analysis and planning, Deputy Chief Allan H. Hoehl, noted that murders in the first six months of 1988 were 2 percent below the number for the same period of 1981, the record year for murder and most other categories of crime, when there were 1,826 killings.
It's kinda hard to be the murder capital at 701 when New York tallied 1,826 in the same year.

Regardless, It's not rational to talk about crime 32 years ago as it relates to today. Houston never cracks the top 25 anymore and even at 300-400 murders a year, it's less than cities of comparable size, such as Chicago.

I'll agree with you though on your final point. If I didn't need to worry about money, I'd pick Cape Coral over Houston all day every day.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I'll agree with you though on your final point. If I didn't need to worry about money, I'd pick Cape Coral over Houston all day every day.
Thanks to Houston I was able to move to Cape Coral and now live without working--unless you call swimming, boating, and having an occasional drink working...

Old 01-20-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks to Houston I was able to move to Cape Coral and now live without working--unless you call swimming, boating, and having an occasional drink working...
Are you retired? That's great!

Old 01-21-2013, 05:00 AM

Location: Twin Cities, MN 55337, Outing, MN 56662, and Cape Coral, FL 33904
96 posts, read 183,308 times
Quote:

Via the Climate-Zone.com

Average Highs/Lows

Houston - January - 62/40
Ft. Myers - January - 64/53

Houston - July - 93/72
Ft. Myers - July - 91/74
Minor correction, no offense, but there is a big difference in climate. The lowest average temp in the Ft Myers area at the coldest point of the year in January is 74/53, not 64/53. (and that's probably at the airport a ways inland) Climate zone (is 10b within a mile or less of the coast) was one of the top 3 considerations in us choosing the Cape. I know winter lows can be colder just a little ways inland, but since we have owned in the Cape, and in talking to next door neighbors, there has never been a temp under 36 where we are at. The lowest we have personally experienced has been a few nights in the 40s. Actually it's usually upper 70s to 80 in January, rather than the 74/53 shown by Climate Zone. com.

Royal palms, foxtails, Xmas palms, Bananas, and (most importantly) coconut palms survive here. Houston's climate is more like in the Florida Panhandle where none of these plants can survive.

Texas certainly beats Florida in job opportunities and political climate however...

Old 01-21-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Are you retired? That's great!
Yep...I got rid of all my long pants and ties...if I can't go somewhere in shorts, I don't go...

Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st468 View Post
Minor correction, no offense, but there is a big difference in climate. The lowest average temp in the Ft Myers area at the coldest point of the year in January is 74/53, not 64/53. (and that's probably at the airport a ways inland) Climate zone (is 10b within a mile or less of the coast) was one of the top 3 considerations in us choosing the Cape. I know winter lows can be colder just a little ways inland, but since we have owned in the Cape, and in talking to next door neighbors, there has never been a temp under 36 where we are at. The lowest we have personally experienced has been a few nights in the 40s. Actually it's usually upper 70s to 80 in January, rather than the 74/53 shown by Climate Zone. com.

Royal palms, foxtails, Xmas palms, Bananas, and (most importantly) coconut palms survive here. Houston's climate is more like in the Florida Panhandle where none of these plants can survive.

Texas certainly beats Florida in job opportunities and political climate however...
You're right about Fort Myers average in January, I mistakenly typed the average temperature.

However, I currently have Royal Palms and Bananas in my yard and they've seemed to survive the last 2-3 years. I don't have any coconut palms though.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
However, I currently have Royal Palms and Bananas in my yard and they've seemed to survive the last 2-3 years. I don't have any coconut palms though.
This palm tree survived over 20 years in Houston and through a couple of snows--the latest on Dec. 25, 2009. A lot of our banana trees died whenever it got below freezing but the shoots always came back.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:21 AM

Location: Twin Cities, MN 55337, Outing, MN 56662, and Cape Coral, FL 33904
96 posts, read 183,308 times
Quote:
This palm tree survived over 20 years in Houston and through a couple of snows--the latest on Dec. 25, 2009. A lot of our banana trees died whenever it got below freezing but the shoots always came back.

Great picture! Not to stray too far off topic here, but that looks like trachycarpus (windmill palm). Excellent cold hardy palms, they even survive just fine in Dallas, Atlanta, etc. I have an 8-footer thats been in the ground for several years at my home base in the southern Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul). The tree is over 15 years old, I also have a smaller one I planted as a baby and a very cold hardy yucca (rostrata) which has survived here for years unprotected, it even flowered last summer. Palms get the fronds tied up and are wrapped in bubble wrap insulation for Dec, Jan, Feb and the root area is mulched heavily during winter so the ground does not freeze around the base. Mine have been snowed upon many times and have remained undamaged after being exposed unprotected to temps in the single digits many times. Very slow growing in the cold climates though.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st468 View Post
...but that looks like trachycarpus (windmill palm). Excellent cold hardy palms, they even survive just fine in Dallas, Atlanta, etc. I have an 8-footer thats been in the ground for several years at my home base in the southern Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul).
I was always afraid the below-zero temperatures would kill it, but it grew from about 4' to 12' over a twenty year period. I just read they can even grow in the panhandle of Alaska I never would have guessed that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area