U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 11:15 AM

693 posts, read 1,764,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoomer View Post
That's the way to discuss an issue in an adult manner...

I think any viewers now have enough documented "facts" from you to decide whether they should go in the river or not.
Like pointing out actual facts as opposed to posting a link from last year and making accusations based solely on it? You've lived in Cape Coral for what now, a few months and are now the higher power of water quality?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,995,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisDaMenace View Post
There tons of sharks in the water down here. If you actually knew how many, you would probably never enter the water down here.

On the flip side, most of the sharks here, don't eat people. And shark attacks here are almost unheard of.

I would be more scared of the plane trip to get here, than swimming in the water.
FYI this individual does not live in Cape Crappy (by his own admission), he only posts as if he does.

So I would not take anything seriously that he posts about the area.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,995,458 times
You have to always be careful of swimming in any body of water in FL. Between the sharks, alligators, snakes there is always one that gets left out it is the American Saltwater Crocodile they like the brackish water. No one ever mentions them but they are out there.
Always looking for a snack.
As Far as the water goes in any of the Cape Crappy "Canals" it is not safe for any person or animal that is your pet.
The Canals are just drainage ditches (turning in to more like open sewers everyday) and water way for boat in some area to get access to the river or gulf.
Basically Cape Crappy has 400 miles of open sewers. Stay away from the water

Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
You have to always be careful of swimming in any body of water in FL. Between the sharks, alligators, snakes there is always one that gets left out it is the American Saltwater Crocodile they like the brackish water. No one ever mentions them but they are out there.
Always looking for a snack.
As Far as the water goes in any of the Cape Crappy "Canals" it is not safe for any person or animal that is your pet.
The Canals are just drainage ditches (turning in to more like open sewers everyday) and water way for boat in some area to get access to the river or gulf.
Basically Cape Crappy has 400 miles of open sewers. Stay away from the water
There are something like 10 American Crocodiles in Lee and Collier Counties. The odds of encountering one of them at the yacht club beach and being attacked is about nil. Probably have a better chance of getting struck by lightening 3 times and winning the lottery in the same day. Again as I have said, your opinion on the canals and water in the area is due to being on a dry lot, in the worst part of the Cape and having paid too much for your house has left you with not enough money to buy a boat. So you try to ruin it for everyone else. We all see through you buddy and have for a long time.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:27 PM

199 posts, read 458,815 times
I live one one of the salt-water 'drainage ditches'. And I drop my kayak into it and actually climb down the ladder and go into the water up to my knees to get into the kayak. And then I kayak out to the river and down to the beach and up and down many of the canals. So far, I haven't caught any terrible diseases. I did see one small gator in a canal one time, but he had no interest in messing with me, and I haven't seen a trace of him since that one time. I haven't seen any sharks in the river, but I do believe they are out there. Again, they do not appear to have any interest in me. I live about a mile from the Yacht Club beach and I've been there dozens of times and have also been in the water. Again, all limbs are still firmly attached and nothing appears to be turning green and/or falling off so far. I see people in the water down there all the time, and to the best of my knowledge, there have been no reported shark, gator or croc sightings. What you CAN expect to see are dolphins and manatees - lots of them. Manatees can flip a kayak if they come up right underneath you, but are otherwise harmless. The salt-water canals are tidal and are constantly ebbing and flowing - they are not stagnant pools of water. I cannot speak for the freshwater canals.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 PM

22,564 posts, read 48,490,255 times
I've swam with the gators in the estuaries of Estero and San Carlos many times. They won't eat you.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:32 PM

154 posts, read 314,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
Like pointing out actual facts as opposed to posting a link from last year and making accusations based solely on it?
That was a law suit filed against the Corps of Engineers making several claims that the river is polluted. If the accusations were true, I doubt that everything would have been corrected withing a couple of months. In addition to that I have seen a couple of newspaper articles talking about the need to clean up the river--I haven't seen anything discussing how clean the river is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billythepokerkid View Post
You've lived in Cape Coral for what now, a few months and are now the higher power of water quality?
I'm not sure why living here a certain time-frame makes anyone an expert or not an expert. I was just curious if the river was polluted or not and did a quick Google search. Unfortunately, there isn't much information available that can be deciphered by someone who isn't familiar with the testing procedures.

Personally, I would much prefer to find that the river isn't polluted but I haven't found any hard evidence to substantiate that it is clean. The fact that a lot of people swim in the river doesn't prove it is safe since they probably have no idea if it is polluted or not.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:17 AM

154 posts, read 314,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemidancer View Post
The salt-water canals are tidal and are constantly ebbing and flowing - they are not stagnant pools of water. I cannot speak for the freshwater canals.
I live on a freshwater canal and haven't noticed any problems and calling them drainage ditches, in another post, is quite a stretch. While they don't have the same movement as a salt water canal, they do get over 50" of rain a year which keeps them revitalized.

There is no trash in the canals or adjacent lake near my house, the worse thing I've seen is a coconut floating down the canal. There is some run-off of chemicals used on the lawns but my bug control man says the chemicals he is allowed to use these days are not very harsh and don't cause problems.

Cape Coral is a unique place with over 400 miles of canals and anywhere else in the US the price of a comparable canal home would be 3-10 time higher.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoomer View Post
That was a law suit filed against the Corps of Engineers making several claims that the river is polluted. If the accusations were true, I doubt that everything would have been corrected withing a couple of months. In addition to that I have seen a couple of newspaper articles talking about the need to clean up the river--I haven't seen anything discussing how clean the river is.

I'm not sure why living here a certain time-frame makes anyone an expert or not an expert. I was just curious if the river was polluted or not and did a quick Google search. Unfortunately, there isn't much information available that can be deciphered by someone who isn't familiar with the testing procedures.

Personally, I would much prefer to find that the river isn't polluted but I haven't found any hard evidence to substantiate that it is clean. The fact that a lot of people swim in the river doesn't prove it is safe since they probably have no idea if it is polluted or not.
What I am explaining to you is that the water plant in which you are referring to is located in North Fort Myers, roughly 15-20 miles North of the Yacht Club and has no association with Cape Coral. The river there is narrower, shallower, less flow in general and is not affected by the tides nearly as much as further South. There is also a power plant right there off Palm Beach that uses the river water for cooling, this is why Manatee Park is right there. What I am trying to say is that perhaps the river is slightly more polluted in that area and not fit for drinking, as I have stated before drinking salinated water no matter how much salt is in it or any untreated water for that matter is a bad idea anyways, but with the pretty substantial tides and just the insanely huge amount of volume increase as you head South that polluted water is rather diluted by the time it reaches the beach. There are literally 100's of thousands of people that swim, boat, jet ski, fish and eat said fish in the local water, if there was in fact something to be said about polluted water that is so dangerous "that neither people nor animals should come into contact with the water, drink it, or eat the fish" we would have heard a lot more about it than some article about a lawsuit potentially filed last year.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:53 PM

225 posts, read 429,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingosRetreat View Post
Our realtor told us the beach in SE Cape Coral is safe to swim in because "alligators do not like brackish water and sharks avoid the freah waters.......anyone care to comment?? We are in rhe process of buying a property and have several grandchildren who love the water....
The beach itself is nice, small but clean. As far as swimming goes, I would rather pay the 3 bucks or so and go in the heated Yacht Club pool than swim in the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area