U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:10 AM

12 posts, read 50,674 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a reputable company for installing electric shutters for the lanai? Thanks much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 06:51 PM

254 posts, read 360,404 times
Storm Smart.

My opinion is to get the roll down "screen" or Fabric instead of the metal ones. They work just the same and still allow some light and breeze through.

Really though, do you need electric? You can get manual roll down shutters that are significantly cheaper. They come with a special tool/pole that you can spin to raise or lower the shutter. Worth looking into. Unless you've got the cash to spend, which in that case, go electric. :-)

Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 PM
wjj

718 posts, read 829,965 times
We had Storm Smart put in a 20 foot electric motor fabric screen to cover our lanai opening and all the windows and siders behind it. Not sure that a metal roll down screen would work without a lot of bracing due to the large opening. Very slick. When it is rolled up, you do not even know it is there. We use it a lot in the summer during the late afternoon downpours. We roll it down about a third of the way and it keeps the wind swept rain off of our seating area so we can stay outside and keep everything dry. Having the remote control makes it all work. We think it was worth every penny.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:01 AM

12 posts, read 50,674 times
Thanks for your responses...I've been told that since its a vacation home to avoid the screen as it will not provide security.....our main reason for doing this is to avoid installing impact windows on the back side of the house and to provide us with more storage while the home is unoccupied.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:45 AM
wjj

718 posts, read 829,965 times
Ours is a second home as well. I guess someone could cut through it, but it is rated to something like a 200 mph projectile hit, so might be tough to do. We put the outdoor furniture behind it when we are not there. Not because we think anyone is going to steal it, but to keep it from blowing around just in case during hurricane season. We think it is pretty secure. When you get down to it, the price was not that much higher than doing each slider and window behind it separately. And it is very easy to use and looks much better than having accordian shutters everywhere. And it lets us stay outside during the summer afternoon storms.

If you have an HOA, check if there are any restrictions on what you can have up.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:22 AM

74 posts, read 65,414 times
Are the lanai structures themselves strong enough to withstand 200 mph wind? I would think that you would want to leave them open and allow the wind to blow through. It might be a better idea to protect the windows and doors in side the lanai with shutters?

Old 04-27-2016, 07:57 AM

3,927 posts, read 5,145,072 times
There are Kevlar fabric roll-down shutters that work well. Have a long life. One gentleman put the electrics on his lanai, cost him over $20K. The mechanical roll-downs are much cheaper, work well, and you don't have to worry about electric motor issues. They come with a handle and work like a crank-out vinyl patio cover.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:49 AM

1,156 posts, read 874,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXEL276 View Post
Are the lanai structures themselves strong enough to withstand 200 mph wind? I would think that you would want to leave them open and allow the wind to blow through. It might be a better idea to protect the windows and doors in side the lanai with shutters?
Unless it's an under truss lanai. If it is, the wind will compromise the roof.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:11 PM

74 posts, read 65,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLHfan View Post
Unless it's an under truss lanai. If it is, the wind will compromise the roof.

I recently bought a pool house in Ft Myers. It's rented right now and I have only spent about 2 weeks in the house. But when the wind blows that lanai shakes. I've heard of people purposely blowing out the screens during hurricanes to reduce windage. I'm not sure I'd want to cover it..

Old 04-27-2016, 02:49 PM

390 posts, read 433,795 times
Once a screen gets wet, air doesn't flow through it very well and it turns into a sail. Some people cut a big X in each screen panel to keep the force from tearing their lanai apart. Insurance won't cover the repair, but getting it rescreened is less expensive than a lot of deductibles and less trouble than dealing with a destroyed cage and any collateral damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area