Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 10,018 times

Advertisements

My wife and I considering a move to the Gateway area. We have found some nice houses in Botanica Lakes and Stoneybrook. Any opinions on which neighborhood is better? We are looking for "kid friendly", low crime, less turnover, sense of community, and good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 12:55 PM

10 posts, read 51,139 times
Default Best choice in Gateway?

Thomashal,

I currently live in Stoneybrook and lived in Botanica Lakes prior to buying in Stoneybrook. The main issue we had with Botanica Lakes at the time was it was a lot of renters, this was a big investment location during the boom so the owners were not locals. I know with the addition of the new section on the right when you first come in that the community has seen an increase in families.

However, Stoneybrook is truly a family based community with a lot of community activities to help you get to know your neighbors. I know all my neighbors on my street and good majority of my neighbors in the community.

***MOD CUT***

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 04-28-2011 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: No ads allowed

Old 05-04-2011, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 9,853 times
My wife and I are considering purchasing a home in Stoneybrook at Gateway, but we've been told by friends that there is sometimes a "rotten egg" smell throughout the neighborhood coming from the landfill nearby. Is there any truth to this and how much do you think about it as homeowners? We have been to Stoneybrook twice and never noticed a smell. We don't want to end up with "Smellybrook" if there is truly a stench in the neighborhood.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:12 PM

31 posts, read 103,337 times
I am in the process of relo'ing to Fort Myers. What I have been told is, that Stonybrook has a lot of Chinese drywall. I stayed out of Gateway for that reason alone.

We decided on Botanica Lakes, which isn't actually in Gateway. Different area, off Treeline.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 9,804 times
We are also considering and could that smell be related to chinese drywall and not the landfill

Old 05-10-2011, 01:40 PM

That is funny I never heard anyone use the name "Smellybrook" but now my wife is concerned everyone is using that name. We have lived here almost 3 years and not noticed any smell. The landfill was closed almost 2 years ago (that is why there is grass grown over it now) but I think the waste company still runs their operations from the location. My wife is very picky and she would have noticed a smell or odor then headed out of there pronto. I work as a Realtor in the area so I know a lot about Gateway and the surrounding areas. I have not had anyone who has purchased, viewed , or sold a home mention the smell.

Most of the subdivisions within Gateway were started in the early 90's with Daniels Preserve, Hampton Park and Stoneybrook coming in the mid 2000's. All three of those developments have had issues with Chinese Drywall.

I will say that within the Stoneybrook community the builder Lennar has really stepped up to perform full remediation of those homes. They remove everything down to the metal studs and foundation, rebuild the home, replace the plumbing, redo the electrical, new appliances, and all the way to painting the walls your colors. Lennar pays for the movers, packing and comparable rental. I have heard horror stories from other communities with Chinese Drywall where the builder has gone bankrupt and the assistance from the government does little to help. I know there were a lot of home remediated but currently they are probably working on remediating about 2 homes out of 768 homes in the community. I think they found a majority of those homes and took care of them.

The smell is not related to the Chinese Drywall however as the smell inside the house is faint and sometimes not recognizable thus the need for an inspection. Any home you purchase built between 2005 - 2007, at least with our real estate agency, is required to be inspected for Chinese drywall. Plus any home that has been remediated for Chinese Drywall needs to disclose that in the real estate listing.

Really depends on the person and their feelings when it comes to Chinese drywall, some people have adverse feelings and some people love it because they feel like they are getting a new home.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:50 PM

82 posts, read 154,353 times
Default Gateway smell

I believe the transfer station located on the northern edge of Gateway was allowed to take in construction debris. It may be possible there is drywall being dumped there temporarily that may be exposed to the environment (if it gets wet, any drywall will smell), however there's no way one would be able to smell chinese drywall just in the air, especially coming from inside any homes that may have it inside. Maybe the existing capped landfill is just off-gassing (the extent of any smell could change depending on climate).

Old 05-15-2011, 06:20 PM

10 posts, read 23,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam42381 View Post
My wife and I are considering purchasing a home in Stoneybrook at Gateway, but we've been told by friends that there is sometimes a "rotten egg" smell throughout the neighborhood coming from the landfill nearby. Is there any truth to this and how much do you think about it as homeowners? We have been to Stoneybrook twice and never noticed a smell. We don't want to end up with "Smellybrook" if there is truly a stench in the neighborhood.
Residents have complained about the landfill and I believe it is going to be expanded. Might want to check out The News Press newspaper archives for info.
Also with the new Red Sox Stadium right down the street and during snowbird season traffic will be
congested in the area.
I would avoid any community with a golf course as they become expensive for the homeowner to keep funded and many are up for sale.
Be sure to know what the HOA rules are and financial well being of the community before you purchase. Many communities are hurting due to foreclosures and non payment of dues.
I toured Bontanica and the homes were built too close together for my tastes.
Renters can be a problem with a lot of communities.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:05 PM

Are you talking about the recycling plant off Buckingham and 82, I know there are plans to expand that?

I think dealing with traffic for a month will be alright considering the positive effects the stadium will have on the community. Plus JetBlue Park is reportedly bringing more retail and hospitality options to the Gateway area.

Fortunately there is only one subdivisions in Gateway that features a golf course if you are opposed to living in a community with a country club and golf course. There are about 20 individual subdivisions within the 3000 acre planned community of Gateway.

There were only a couple of communities dealing with financial troubles as it relates to the HOAs, however most took quick action to have outstanding balances settled promptly. In fact, some communities have actually lowered their HOA dues over the past couple years and those that were in financial distress have recovered.

Generally it is based on personal preference, you could live in a planned community with deed restrictions or find a open property (Lehigh area) with limited restrictions where you might run into issues with the neighbors, neighbors taste (neon green house or they park their car in the backyard), running off a well or septic tank, and possibly not having anything nearby (empty lots, foreclosures, or investors sitting on properties). These are things to consider and make not be the case for every area, but with everything you run the risk.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:29 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,050,533 times
Anyone avoiding one or another development because they "heard" there is a lot of Chinese Drywall could be in for a world of trouble. Especially if they think they can just hop on over to another development where they didn't "hear" about anything.

Chinese Drywall is all over. It can be in any building or unit, in any community, mostly from 2003 to 2008 but you can find it in a building from 1978 if it had renovations.

In fact, the buiding does not have to be in swFlorida. Or Louisiana. It can be located anywhere.

Nowhere is immune. And smell does NOT always tell the tale.

Folks, there is an incredible amount of information about Chinese Drywall, School Choice all kinds of things on this forum. Research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area