U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 04:47 PM

86 posts, read 288,476 times

Advertisements

Now that we are at the height of the snowbird season I would be interested in comments about the number of snowbirds relative to prior years. Are there as many snowbirds as there were prior to the recession? Are they opening their wallets? Are they buying real estate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,995,458 times
non excitant

Old 02-18-2013, 04:58 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,399,590 times
Just ignore the curmudgeon,PatSea,he's only happy when he can complain about CC..............I think that everyone,not just snowbirds are spending a little less right now.The president allowed the SS tax waiver to expire and that took $20-$50 a week out of every working persons paycheck.Gas is up,food is up but real estate still seems to be moving.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:14 AM

146 posts, read 335,727 times
http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs....=2013302170018

Sales tax revenue is up.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:33 PM

5,495 posts, read 6,320,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnpedwards View Post
From the article:
“A lot that can be attributed to all of that fluffy white stuff falling from the sky across the north,” Phelan said. “Our winter visitors have been coming in droves and staying.”Hunter Hansen, managing partner of the Waldorf Astoria Naples and the Edgewater Beach Resort in Naples, said business has gotten stronger with each turn of wicked weather.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Status: "In my anti Corona hidey hole......." (set 24 days ago)

5,424 posts, read 6,458,366 times
Wouldn't sales tax revenue be up, because prices on almost everything is up?

Just wondering out loud.......

From my perspective, I was busier during the fall than I am now, for whatever that's worth.

YC.......

Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,995,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Wouldn't sales tax revenue be up, because prices on almost everything is up?

Just wondering out loud.......

From my perspective, I was busier during the fall than I am now, for whatever that's worth.

YC.......
That is it, just means that the locals have to pay more. When taxes go up and the spending trend is downward it just means that priceshave gone up.
Because the christmas shopping season was crap everywhere.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Status: "Practice random acts of kindness and goodwill." (set 19 days ago)

19,616 posts, read 24,597,417 times
I am actually thinking of becoming a snowbird. I'm not retired but I am in my early 50s and I have a very portable profession. We are open to any where warm and safe. We have late HS - College age kids. Three bedrooms would be good.

Not looking for prestige, but we don't want a trashy area either. Looking for something economical. We were looking at a house in Inverses. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Oh, our primary residence is in Ohio.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:14 AM

5,495 posts, read 6,320,120 times
Sheena, you will get a better response if you start a new thread

To the OP, restaurants are more crowded than usual.

I don't notice any sudden price increases since last year for most goods and services.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:59 AM

2,668 posts, read 3,481,139 times
Speaking as a retired Canadian..........The Florida legislature's bone headed move to REQUIRE a International Driver's License from those who live "outside of the USA " has created a firestorm of indignation up here. Obviously, your Legislators didn't stop to think about the fall out from this new law.

For those who don't know..........a International Driving License is simply a "translation " from the printed information on the "foreign license" to ENGLISH, so that American Police can understand what it says.

Is this a good time to say that ENGLISH is the working language in 85 percent of Canada ?

To comply with this new Florida state law, a Canadian has to go to the local office of the CAA, who are the ONLY issuer in Canada, and pay twenty five dollars , to get a IDL. When this became news, here in Canada, there was a rush by snowbirds to get one.

NOW, we are being told that Florida Police have been told "don't enforce that law " , as the Florida legislature will ammend it ............soon ! How soon is soon ?

This is a prime example of the one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing.

Many here in Toronto are saying they will not go to Florida, but look at Arizona, or Texas, instead.

Have you heard about this ? If so, can I have your comments ?

Jim B

Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area