U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:05 AM

40,073 posts, read 19,418,994 times

Advertisements

This past year I moved to the Gateway neighborhood of Ft Myers. I haven't seen a local library so far in my explorations. I did go on line but couldn't find much about libraries other than down town. Is there a branch library system that serves the different communities? Where is the main library building?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 07:23 AM

9 posts, read 14,543 times
List of branches
Pages - default

Old 03-09-2013, 09:47 AM

Thank You for the info.....I guess I do have to go all the way into town; not convenient but ..... Oh Well. Thanks again

Old 03-09-2013, 11:34 AM

503 posts, read 926,565 times
A nice thing about the Lee county library system is that for most items you never need to go farther than your local branch. If you see a book, DVD, etc. that you want from a branch that's farther away, you can reserve it online and choose to pick it up at your branch. (They will ship it to your local branch for you, and you can check shipping status online.)

You can also easily renew items online (as long as someone else hasn't requested an item), which cuts down on trips if your local branch is a bit of a drive.

Another thing that helps if you're a distance from your local branch is that they have many items available to subscribers through online sources, so you can check them out and read/listen without ever leaving your home.

Looking at their website, it appears they also have mailing services for people with disabiities who would have trouble getting to the library in person.

They also (at least in my opinion) have a great collection that they keep up, and lots of events.

And they have some sort of reciprocity agreement with other systems. If you ask them to put a sticker on your Lee county library card, you can borrow books in Collier county and I believe Charlotte county too (and possibly others).

Old 03-09-2013, 04:52 PM

146 posts, read 337,265 times
We agree - Lee County library system is great!

Old 03-09-2013, 06:39 PM

616 posts, read 1,391,028 times
Your closest library:

South County Regional Library

2nd closest:

East County Regional Library

Old 03-09-2013, 06:49 PM

stahltkd....thank you so much that really really helps.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:41 PM

14,267 posts, read 16,570,054 times
The Lehigh branch (East County) is closest to Gateway. I know people on this forum are always knocking Lehigh, but the library is on a main road and it's very nice. I'm sure you'll feel very safe there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
Your closest library:

[url=http://leelibrary.net/services/locations/SC/pages/default.aspx]South County Regional Library[/url]

2nd closest:

[url=http://leelibrary.net/services/locations/EC/pages/default.aspx]East County Regional Library[/url]
Not true. The library on Three Oaks Parkway is near Estero and twice the distance from the Gateway community.

Funny, I'm typing this comment using WiFi from a library in SWFL right now.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:36 PM

I rather like Lehigh ...... so if its the closest...that's where I will go. The only places I don't feel safe are those where I am clearly a "minority" and when there is a large group of young men hanging out around the door...smoking and joking. (barber shops, pizza parlor type places.

That's just me.....and most of the time they probably are just fine.....but I am easily intimidated.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:27 AM

616 posts, read 1,391,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I rather like Lehigh ...... so if its the closest...that's where I will go. The only places I don't feel safe are those where I am clearly a "minority" and when there is a large group of young men hanging out around the door...smoking and joking. (barber shops, pizza parlor type places.

That's just me.....and most of the time they probably are just fine.....but I am easily intimidated.
They are essentially the same distance - yes, Lehigh Library is 3 miles closer than the one on Three Oaks. I was thinking it was closer (didn't use mapquest and know that possibly cutting through the airport would save some of that 3 miles).

Either way - both libraries are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area