Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 01:18 PM

24 posts, read 54,192 times

Advertisements

We have given up trying to buy & make a decent corned beef. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good corned beef dinner? I define good as not fatty but tender. Seems like some restaurants can get the best meat, a good sauce is also helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 11:05 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,928,206 times
Sorry, I can only recommend some restaurants in Boston!

Just a note: Growing up in the 'burbs of Boston in a Russian Jewish family, I always considered corned beef and cabbage to be a traditional Jewish meal and it has now become part of the Saint Patrick's Day celebration.

So to all my Irish friends, I wish you a Good Yontiff.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:19 AM

48,117 posts, read 21,997,640 times
I moved to SW Florida during the past year......I have always cooked a New England Corned Beef and Cabbage dinner for St Patrick's Day with turnips, potatoes, carrots, onions, beets, and parsnips if I can get them. I found the corned beef down here to be much better than any I have ever had.......so tender, and very little fat. I want more!

In Maine the favored corned beef is the gray not the red color.....but I have always bought the red one and added the seasoning packet. I noticed the seasoning packet down here was just a little milder and less bay leaf.....next year I will add some bay to the cooking water.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:49 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,928,206 times
Have you tried steaming it? I don't eat a lot of meat, although I grew up with it. Corned beef hash is probably the closest I've come to eating corned beef in a long time. However, with 3 kids to feed, my parents lived on a frugal budget, so we usually ate the less expensive cuts of beef. Before I began dining out, I never realized that London Broil wasn't gourmet food! My mother would marinate it in salad dressing overnight. So what I learned is that time is your friend when it comes to tenderizing beef. Cooking a brisket in a crock pot for about 8 to 9 hours on low will produce a tasty and tender corned beef. Some people I know use beer in place of water, but the only thing close to alcohol in my parent's house was Witch Hazel! LOL

Well, now this isn't the Cape Coral forum any more.

http://images.zaazu.com/img/spd03-St...0153-large.gif

Old 03-24-2013, 07:42 PM

154 posts, read 691,586 times
For less fatty corned beef buy the round, not the brisket. I was surprised how much difference it made. Round seems more expensive, but probably works out about the same since you aren't paying for all the fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area