U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 06:37 AM

10 posts, read 13,201 times

Advertisements

So, Westchase which is affordable... is not a safe area... what about Palm Vista?, The Brittany?, or Berwood? We are trying to make sure we rent (before buying) in the right zone for our daughter to attend Ft. Myers High School since it is the higher ranking public school on several reports..

This zoning lottery is a BIG problem when trying to decide on housing that is appropriate for a family and not too expensive....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
With a budget like that you won't find much. All of those are at your budget or higher.

Westchase is income based and is the ghetto. You do NOT want to live there or anywhere NEAR there.

Gulfstream Isles isn't bad...it's been around for awhile and needs some updating, but the new manager (2yr or so) has really cleaned it up (tenant wise and building wise) I have friends who live there and they like it...it's quiet enough (you will sometimes have parties, but again, the manager is on top of that crap and is evicting rif raf on a daily basis)

And yes, I'm going to say it...if you don't have a job, don't come down. Without a job, or proof of income, you won't be able to rent in any of those places

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 06:57 AM

9,323 posts, read 20,481,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leklouy View Post
So, Westchase which is affordable... is not a safe area... what about Palm Vista?, The Brittany?, or Berwood? We are trying to make sure we rent (before buying) in the right zone for our daughter to attend Ft. Myers High School since it is the higher ranking public school on several reports..

This zoning lottery is a BIG problem when trying to decide on housing that is appropriate for a family and not too expensive....
I wouldn't live in any of those places, those areas aren't even considered 'ok' in my book.

What do you consider expensive?

You can find rentals in Whiskey Creek or the Villas (not a great place, but much better than those you mentioned) Just look for places south of Colonial.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:25 AM

We wanted to be frugal ... a two bedroom for around $800 ... 3-7 months... while we house hunt..

too far south and our daughter would not be able to attend Ft. Myers HS

Old 07-08-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
We wanted to be frugal ... a two bedroom for around $800 ... 3-7 months... while we house hunt..

Good luck with that! You wont' find a two bedroom in a good area for that price or that length of time. Most complexes do offer shorter leases, but at a much higher rental rate and normally for no less than 6 mths.

Have you talked to any property management companies? They might be able to help you find what you're looking for, just be careful of where it's located.

Being frugal is one thing, living in a safe area is another.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:54 PM

22,564 posts, read 48,494,440 times
Quote:

We need to back up. Way back.

Fort Myers is in the South Zone! But bear in mind, just because you live there, doesn't mean she will get assigned that school.

http://studentassignment.leeschools....ap%2011x17.pdf

Old 07-08-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
We need to back up. Way back.

Fort Myers is in the South Zone! But bear in mind, just because you live there, doesn't mean she will get assigned that school.

http://studentassignment.leeschools....ap%2011x17.pdf

I haven't dealt with School Choice so thanks for posting this! It's my understanding that just because you live in a certain zone doesn't mean you'll get in that school.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:16 PM

22,564 posts, read 48,494,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I haven't dealt with School Choice so thanks for posting this! It's my understanding that just because you live in a certain zone doesn't mean you'll get in that school.
That correct!

Here's a good breakdown of the schools and the zones they are in.

Lee County Public Schools - Department

Fort Myers is a good school but I suspect a lot of parents want their kids in that school!

Here's the ranking of the schools in Lee County.

http://www.usnews.com/education/best...chool-district

I would spend the extra money for the rent. I know that some of those apartments are ghetto. If Kim says they are not okay, they are NOT. Saving money will NOT be worth it. Trust us on this.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:37 PM

From my research, the sub-zone matters also... Lee County Public Schools - Department... FMHS is in South Zone... sub-zone s-1. I will continue to look for appropriate housing ..... that you all for your feedback. I will take it all into consideration and keep looking.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:48 PM

so... then.... what about these... are they far enough south?

The Place at Summerlin
Bella Rosa
Hawk's landing
Salamanca Point

Old 07-09-2013, 03:05 AM

Quote:
so... then.... what about these... are they far enough south?

The Place at Summerlin
Bella Rosa
Hawk's landing
Salamanca Point
Hawk's Landing is a no go! It's right across the street from Horizons (100% public housing dump) and right next to Pine (Crime) Manor. Anything in that area is going to be bad.

The Place at Summerlin is bit more south and is 'ok', not good, not great..OK

Bella Rosa, big fat NO. When I said south of Colonial, I meant more than 500 ft.

Salamanca Point might be the only one of those I'd actually go and check out, but it's your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area