U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 02:08 PM

75 posts, read 99,783 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving to the Fort Myers area. I am going to Florida Gulf Coast for grad school and he will be working. We have 4 dogs and are looking to spend at most $1600. We are looking for either a townhouse or a home to rent as we need room for the dogs. I was wondering if anyone could tell us of good areas or areas to avoid. I want to be in a safe neighborhood as I will be coming home late at night.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 06:09 AM

9,441 posts, read 20,854,049 times
I suggest you start calling places now and asking about pet limits, pet rents, and pet deposits. Your choices of rentals will be limited because of the number of dogs. Once you find out which places will take that many, then you can worry about the location.

I'm not saying you're going to do this, but please dont' lie to the landlord about the number of dogs, breed of dogs or anything. They will find out and you'll be given the option to a) get rid of the dog (s) or b) move or c) they will evict you.

Would you please post back here with an update and let us know how your search is going?

Old 03-24-2013, 10:52 AM

374 posts, read 700,863 times
You will be extremely lucky if you ever find a rental with that many dogs. First off... to rent a condo or a town home means applying for and passing a pretty detailed background check through the HOA. MOST HOA's allow a MAX of 2 under 20 lb dogs. So townhomes and condos won't be an option for you. Apartments...maybe... but I doubt an apartment complex would allow that many dogs. So it looks like you will have to look to a private home owner. $1600.00 is a pretty good budget for a nice condo/apartment, but not sure if it will get you much of a house. Safety wise, stay out of North F. Myers/San Carlos/Lehigh...

Old 03-24-2013, 03:37 PM

Two of the four dogs are therapy dogs. I would never lie about having four dogs though! Ive seen lots of houses for rent that allow dogs that are under 1600 but I 1. Need to find out if they will allow four dogs and 2. Make sure they aren't in a bad neighborhood.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:23 AM

9,441 posts, read 20,854,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrysong18 View Post
Two of the four dogs are therapy dogs. I would never lie about having four dogs though! Ive seen lots of houses for rent that allow dogs that are under 1600 but I 1. Need to find out if they will allow four dogs and 2. Make sure they aren't in a bad neighborhood.

1) Highly doubt it....2 is the max around here unless you rent in North Fort Myers with some land or rent in Lehigh where they don't care what you do or who you do it with. I don't suggst NFM because it's quite a distance from FGCU and I dont' suggest Lehigh because it's a hellhole.

It doesn't matter if the dogs are therapy dogs or not, it goes towards the limit, and the dogs must be therapy dogs for you and/or your bf. You also might be required to have a doctor's note or something along those lines. So ask those questions as well.

2) You already know about Lehigh..(bad!!) You could look into Cape Coral, but that's a drive to FGCU. You can look in S Fort Myers, but again...you're going to have issues with 4 dogs. Just about every decent neighborhood in Fort Myers has an HOA and that's going to be a problem.

Start making those calls today.....

Old 03-25-2013, 04:34 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,430,874 times
Just curious...why would you keep 4 dogs,knowing that most landlords will not want to rent to you? You'd be better off to buy.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:48 PM

@Samiamnh Because they are my dogs! I would not get rid of them. Where I live now in Maryland does not care how many dogs I have because my doctor stated that I needed my dogs with me. I'm not sure how lenient Florida would be. I wish I could buy! I'm not sure if my boyfriend would qualify for a big enough loan though. I would love to live in a house with lots of land, but I figured renting is the best option right now. I have a bunch of houses saved, so I will start making those phone calls.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:15 AM

320 posts, read 493,641 times
If you have a medical reason for the dogs a decent landlord will follow the law and not discriminate. That goes for any HOA as well.

What is the breed?

If a landlord were to require a $800 pet deposit, what would be your answer?

Have you contacted Student Affairs to ask for any local resources?

You will want to look in the Daniels corridor, plantation rd most likely.

I will ask two friends if they have or know someone with a nice home in your range.

I'll post later.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugManTPC View Post
If you have a medical reason for the dogs a decent landlord will follow the law and not discriminate. That goes for any HOA as well.

What is the breed?

If a landlord were to require a $800 pet deposit, what would be your answer?

Have you contacted Student Affairs to ask for any local resources?

You will want to look in the Daniels corridor, plantation rd most likely.

I will ask two friends if they have or know someone with a nice home in your range.

I'll post later.
Thank you. I do not mind putting down a deposit at all. I understand that a deposit ensures that if something happens to house, it will be covered. I have not contacted student affairs. That is a good idea. I have 3 English Bulldogs and 1 Border Collie. Again, thank you for your help.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:44 PM

4 posts, read 6,018 times
Default Many fine places to live near FGCU

There are quite a few places close to gulf coast town center (and school) that have what you are looking for. The best thing to do is visit and look around for a few days.

Also, if you want to know what there is to do in the area, then check out http://www.oodles2do.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area