Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:56 AM

113 posts, read 286,584 times

Advertisements

My husband took a job in Fort Myers near the airport that he is starting in about 3 weeks. We have been looking at housing in North Naples, which we love, but it seems like its a little aged for our kids who are in their early 20's ans want to build a life in the area too.

I hear that Fort Myers is nice in the South corridor. But I have also read that there is a ton of crime in Ft Myers. I kind of take it with a little bit iof a grain of salt because it seems that a lot of people come on her to complain and Im really looking for real advice. Looks like we will need to rent before buying to find what we want. We just want to limit the area.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 01:43 PM

374 posts, read 796,238 times
I saw your posting on the Naples forum. It isn't easy moving to a new area that you know little about. Ft. Myers is definitely a little more bustling than Naples, but you have to be really careful you know almost each and every street and area in Ft. Myers to know what you are getting into. There are some really nice homes and communities backed up to a bad street or bad area. That said, if you are looking for a good upper priced home, I wold look near McGregor (along the river) but no higher than Colonial. (look at a map)

Estero is probably more upscale than South Ft. Myers... but I like the Mcgregor corridor for it's history and proximity to the Calossahachee River. But that is just my opinion. There are some very nice homes in a development called Town and River. I have driven through there from time to time. Some are on canals that lead out to the river (which empties into the ocean)

Good luck

Old 03-14-2013, 09:48 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,963 times
If near the airport, I would suggest looking in Gateway. It is a planned community with about 25 separate communities within. Wide range of price points and some new construction going on as well. Many communities are gated and most are built around water or the golf course. Has its own water and sewer system, several schools within the community, gas station, community parks and pool, etc. But you do have to drive outside of Gateway for shopping and restaurants (there is a deli in Gateway, but that is about it). Red Sox spring training facility borders Gateway to the west.

Clean, quiet, and safe. Boring to some.

As for Fort Myers bad areas, they are pretty confined within certain sections within the city limits (the city itself is quite small - only about 65,000 people). What people generically call Fort Myers is a much larger area than the actual city itself. There are some areas outside the city limits that are bad as well, but they are pretty confined too. If you stay along the Daniels corridor, you will be fine. There are several quite expensive and exclusive communities on either side of Daniels along with many more affordable communities (Daniels is the southern border of Gateway as well).

The recommendation above to stay south of Colonial for most things, is a good one. Do that and you avoid most of the bad areas. It is like any other decent sized metropolitan area. It has good areas, great areas, and bad areas. If you come from a big metro area, you will already know how to deal with it. It will be second nature.

Don't get scared away by some of the horror stories on this board. Most are directed at people coming in with small budgets thinking they will find a decent area to live where the best they could realistically do would be a place in the hood. Those warnings are warranted though sometimes a bit emotional. But if you have a decent budget, there are plenty of very nice and safe places in the area. Also consider Estero. Near the airport (to the south) and generally very nice.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 AM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
We moved to Gateway Greens this past July.....and absolutely love it! The community is gated, very safe and its like living in a park.....beautiful. There are several communities in the Gateway area....and they all look nice. Check it out. I don't think there are rentals in my immediate area....but there are definitely apartment homes for rent in some of those communities. Good Luck.

I haven't been concerned about crime for an instant since I moved here. It feels as safe as the small town in Maine that I moved from.

Gateway is about a 15 minute drive from the airport.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,590 times
I have moved twice from state to state and might also be moving to the Cape Coral/Fort Myers area if all goes well with a job interview. What I would recommend is RENTING first before you buy anything. Talk to a local real estate agent and work with one as a buying agent (it's usually free).

But like I said we have moved from NJ to Richmond VA and also from Richmond to Ithaca NY. Both times we rented a house before buying. There are so many things you just can't tell by just looking at a house if you don't know the area. You don't know what traffic is like, if planes fly over, if a train goes by, how supermarkets are ... just rent a house for a year and THEN buy. You'll be so happy you did.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbapasto View Post
My husband took a job in Fort Myers near the airport that he is starting in about 3 weeks. We have been looking at housing in North Naples, which we love, but it seems like its a little aged for our kids who are in their early 20's ans want to build a life in the area too.
I don't know your budget, but Gateway was the first community I thought of since it is close to the airport and a safe place to live, while being only 15 or 20 minutes from downtown, depending on traffic.

The above comments all have good suggestions. I agree with garix, however. You should rent for a few months before buying a home, so you become familiar with the general area.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,562 times
What is considered a "small budget" for this area?

Looking at moving from Orlando.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilS999 View Post
What is considered a "small budget" for this area?

Looking at moving from Orlando.
There is no definitive answer to this type of question. I know people who think $5,000 a month isn't enough and others who live on less than $2,000. Are you single? Do you have a family? Medical coverage? Car payments? Too many variables.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:05 PM

47 posts, read 147,101 times
Default Budgets and such

Hi all,
I came across this thread and like the previous poster, have a tough time answering the budget question. Its relative to you, very subjective.
That being said, I'm also a Realtor and urban planner and will offer my two cents.

I'm 32, never married, moved here 7 years ago, bought a house, lost a job, etc etc. As a younger professional planning on staying put, the purchase made sense to me (near bottom of market, foreclosure home, great neighborhood) and I think its making sense to others.
The median household income for our lovely county is almost $50,000/yr. IF a third of that figure were budgeted towards housing expenses (mortgage, insurance, taxes) thats a considerable amount ($1387) available for housing isnt it? Even without factoring in the tax benefits or more importantly the pride of ownership. Gawd I'm sounding like a salesman. Sorry.
Good news is, that'll buy some nice real estate here in SWFL, for now.
PCW

Old 03-21-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltspla View Post
The median household income for our lovely county is almost $50,000/yr.
Although I cannot confirm this number "household income" includes all income, which might be 2 or more working adults. It also includes retirees who often relocate from states in which their income is/was much higher along with other sources of income. I know plenty of people who don't work and make over $50,000 a year in investments and that has nothing to do with location.

I am only writing this because many people do not even consider the effect income has on your future earnings, i.e., Social Security benefits. On this board we talk about salaries vs cost of living, but not on how a lower income eventually impacts your future.

Florida has many advantages, one being lower housing costs than other states. (depending on the area of course) There is also no state income tax. However, one's overall savings will depend on from where a person is moving. Compared to New Jersey, property taxes are low. Compared to Louisiana, they're very high. As previously stated, so much depends on one's lifestyle, needs, age, health and spending habits.

I want to add this info from the last Census:

Lee County

Per capita money income in the past 12 months (2011 dollars) -- $28,946
Median household income -- $49,444
Persons below poverty level -- 13.5%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area