U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 04:45 PM

130 posts, read 234,166 times

Advertisements

I have a lanai around the pool and a chain link fence around the backyard. I would like a bit more privacy and I like greenery. I would rather do it naturally with trees and shrubs and flowers, both potted and planted. I don't know a thing about Florida landscaping. I need something that grows fast and gets to around 4-5 feet tall.
I've been searching the web but not really finding what I need to know.
If anyone knows any good websites or has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. Also a recommendation for a good landscaping place or nursery near SW Cape Coral that has staff that can help me out would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 04:52 PM

2,932 posts, read 4,223,004 times
Florida Friendly Landscaping, Florida Plants, Florida Gardening, Lawn Care

I have Arcea palms, Plumbago, Bougainvillea, and Coco plum along my fence. The Coco plum and Plumbago (blooms almost constantly, small blue flowers) are just about 5' high. I trim the CoCo plums occasionally. The Arcea are about 8' and need cleaning up now and then. The Bougainvillea is about 6' and needs the most attention (weekly) but is worth the effort.

Last edited by HarryWho?; 04-12-2013 at 05:02 PM..

Old 04-12-2013, 05:16 PM

130 posts, read 234,166 times
What do you have to do to the bougainvillea? I will look the others up to see what they are, but I do not what a bougainvillea is. I love flowering shrubs so thanks for the tip.
I know Florida has a rainy season in the summer, but how much care do things need in the winter? I love to garden, but it will be up to a year before I can get down there full time. In the meantime, we will probably have renters, so for starters I just want something that will grow fast and not need much care. Our yard is really bare. Once I get there on a more full time basis, the skies the limit

Old 04-12-2013, 05:29 PM

2,932 posts, read 4,223,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtobewarm View Post
What do you have to do to the bougainvillea? I will look the others up to see what they are, but I do not what a bougainvillea is. I love flowering shrubs so thanks for the tip.
I know Florida has a rainy season in the summer, but how much care do things need in the winter? I love to garden, but it will be up to a year before I can get down there full time. In the meantime, we will probably have renters, so for starters I just want something that will grow fast and not need much care. Our yard is really bare. Once I get there on a more full time basis, the skies the limit
Bouganvillea send out a lot of runners that will wind their way through your other bushes. I trim them whenever I cut the grass, no biggie. They're much less active in the winter, as are the others.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:09 AM

40,072 posts, read 19,415,709 times
Bouganvillea are really beautiful.....but very thorny! When ever I am trimming them....I end up with bloody scratches on my arms. They also come in different heights ...... some only grow about 3 feet...and some are 8 to 12 feet.....its not how they are pruned....it is a genetic difference. If you are planting them.....check the growth pattern. Also the bracts from the flowers can be a problem if planted near a pool with out screening.....and if they are planted near the screened enclousure......they can tear up the screens in a wind.

Bougainvillea require frequent watering the first year planted......after that.....they can take care of themselves pretty much and withstand neglect and drought.

I have a shrub hedge around the enclosed lanai ..... Ixora coccinea not sure of spelling.....it is marketed as Jungle Flame......It really is a sturdy and pretty hedge.....I don't think it like direct sunlight...more shady or partially shaded. It comes in various colors......the red-orange seems most common.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jung...w=1600&bih=805

There are lots of growers who sell retail on Pine Island....not too far from Cape Coral and a pretty drive.

Last edited by elston; 04-14-2013 at 07:25 AM..

Old 04-16-2013, 05:51 AM

154 posts, read 317,154 times
Default Thornless Bougavillea

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Bouganvillea are really beautiful.....but very thorny! When ever I am trimming them....I end up with bloody scratches on my arms.

We have some bougainvillea and the wife complains about how hard they are to trim but our neighbor has some "thornless bouganvillea" which seem to make more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area