U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 09:13 AM

130 posts, read 234,201 times

Advertisements

Will arrive in Cape Coral on Saturday and wonder if it's worth the trip? I thought it was nothing but a quiet beach, but reading some posts on here, it sounds like there is more to it than that? Could anyone tell me what it is like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 02:09 PM

964 posts, read 1,840,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtobewarm View Post
Will arrive in Cape Coral on Saturday and wonder if it's worth the trip? I thought it was nothing but a quiet beach, but reading some posts on here, it sounds like there is more to it than that? Could anyone tell me what it is like?
First, there's no beach to speak of. Not much of anything except a nice, laid back environment, great fishing, and a very "old Florida" feel.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:04 PM

296 posts, read 387,400 times
Depends on what you are looking for. As said not any public beaches that I am aware of. When you cross the bridge you enter Matlacha...its an artsy old Florida feel. Many colorful painted buildings, and different shops along the way. After you pass thru that area you will come to an interstection where you turn right or left. Right takes you to one end of the island. Bokeelia, several marinas, and a couple of places to eat or drink Tarpon Lodge, Lazy Flamingo. If you go left it goes to the other end of the island, St. James City. Many more places to eat and drink, Woodies, Low Key Tiki, Ragged Ass Saloon, Waterfront Restaurant and a couple more marinas. Both ends have residential sections and in the middle thier are alot of Palm tree nurserys.
Whether its worth the trip depends on what you are looking for.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:51 PM

Default pine island

I would go look at the nurseries. I am assuming the places to eat/drink have scenic views? It sounds to me like its worth a visit. I didn't know it didn't have a beach, so thanks for the info on that, won't plan on driving there for a beach!

Old 04-24-2013, 04:53 PM

Default art?

One other question. I think I read somewhere that artists liked Pine Island...are there art galleries or that sort of thing?

Old 04-24-2013, 06:14 PM

2,333 posts, read 4,364,771 times
Matlacha has ma y small gAlleries

Old 04-25-2013, 04:47 AM

40,073 posts, read 19,417,326 times
Pine Island is a Mangrove Island....the coast is pretty much all Mangrove trees. They are a great habitat for sea birds and fish. I had heard that 90% of all the sea food eaten in the world....spends some part of its life in Mangrove Swamps. There are no real beaches and also no tall buildings....they zone against that to keep the Old Florida feeling.

I really like the non-commercial feel of Pine Island. I drove to Bokeelia.....and enjoyed the visit.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:41 AM

2,333 posts, read 4,364,771 times
a couple good things to do there. bring bikes to tour the island and rent kayaks. it is very shallow water and there are birds galore and jumping fish. waters are usually pretty calm. then find a resturaunt to eat at.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:18 AM

Location: Twin Cities, MN 55337, Outing, MN 56662, and Cape Coral, FL 33904
96 posts, read 184,248 times
Worth the trip? It's not really a "trip", depending on where you are in Cape Coral, it's only a 5-15 minute drive. From south-central Cape it takes me a maximum of 15 minutes to get there. Best place in the area to buy seafood, stone crab, fresh shrimp, fish, and bait. We go there all the time to buy stone crab for 1/3 the price it is anywhere else.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:01 PM

244 posts, read 432,014 times
I would visit Pine Island for sure. It is a nice cute area with lots of nurseries, art galleries and restaurants. If you are looking for a restaurant where you sit very nice on the water - you could go to Sandy Hooks on Matalacha or to Captain Con's in Bokeelia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area