Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 03:13 PM

9 posts, read 14,284 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are possibly going to relocate to Ft. Myers/Cape Coral area from the Midwest. I have been looking at real estate for the past 3 weeks now and have also secured a realtor.

I am not familiar with the area although we have visited Sanibel (which doesn't make me familiar with the area!). We are 2 adults, currently live in a historic area near a major downtown. We lived in the suburbs for years and found it soul killing. I have been looking at homes in the McGregor area. I saw in a previous post to stay south of Colonial so that is something to consider. Whiskey Creek Estates looks lovely. Our budget is $250K-$350K.

So, if anyone has any suggestions for other places to consider, that would be appreciated. My husband will work at Lee Memorial on Cleveland so that is another reason why I was considering McGregor.

Any thoughts on Cape Coral? If you live there, how long will it take to get to the hospital? Consensus seems to be to live in the SE or SW part of CC. It seems like you get more home for your money in CC also.

And our wish list is a home with 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 car garage, and a pool. Must be turnkey.

I know the real estate agent can help -- I just want some unbiased opinions and I think ya'll can help!

Thanks so much.

Andrea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 05:04 PM

48,125 posts, read 22,002,483 times
We looked at property off McGregor and loved the area. We ended up living in a gated community called Gateway....off Daniels Blvd. Totally different residential neighborhoods. (Our Price range was pretty much the same as yours. WE got a home with a pool, 5 BR (one we use as office) 3 baths, and 2 car garage and fenced back yard. Gateway is really pretty neighborhood.....a golf course community. We don't golf.....but enjoy the lakes and views; it is like living in a park.....and it is a friendly, dog walking, jogging path type community.

The historic neighborhoods off McGregor are really nice and had great appeal for us. We found that the houses we could afford off McGregor needed a lot of fixin up.....funky but older homes.....the beauties near the river were way way way out of our price range. McGregor is a very busy street....annoyingly busy.

By the way...... we love Ft Myers.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:40 AM

244 posts, read 487,481 times
Cape Coral ist just on the other side of the river - Depending on where in Cape Coral you would live, it might not take longer than 5 - 10 Minutes to drive to Lee Memorial on Cleveland. The Mc Gregor Area is nice and also the part of Mc Gregor around the Edison Winterhome is really pretty. (this by the way is north of Colonial Blvd). Whiskey Creek is a very nice area as well. You could also consider the Down Town Fort Myers area, since you would like to live in the City - this one is not to far away from the hospital either. There are a lot of renovated historic homes aournd Mc Gregor and there are some which are in need of major updating. I am sure your Realtor can advise

Old 04-14-2013, 11:12 AM

Thanks for your responses.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 PM

152 posts, read 357,125 times
I would come down and actually drive the areas, you can get a better feel for the area.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:49 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreama View Post

And our wish list is a home with 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 car garage, and a pool. Must be turnkey.
Why turnkey? Very few homes that size are going to be completely furnished with linens and dishes, unless they've been used as vacation rentals. Also, I would imagine someone in your price range, would want to select her own decor. You see that term used more often in condo listings.

Are you thinking of "move-in ready" meaning you don't have to fix it up and make repairs? There's a big difference. Turnkey means all furnished and you can move in with your clothes and a toothbrush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadman154 View Post
I would come down and actually drive the areas, you can get a better feel for the area.
Good idea. Renting for a month or more (if possible) is the best way to look around for a home.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:50 AM

Ah, yes, I do mean move in ready. We do not want to do any renovations (painting, maybe putting in ceiling fans).

I was also looking at Estero. It looks lovely.

Do any of know can you do 3 month rentals?

Old 04-16-2013, 12:10 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Yes, Estero has many nice communities. It also has one of the loveliest shopping centers (Coconut Point Mall) The beautiful Hyatt Coconut Point, which actually has a Bonita Springs address, is just across route 41. When I moved to Florida in 1994, Estero was mostly cows. It's really grown a lot in the past 20 years. However, it's entirely different from the areas to which you originally referred, since McGregor near the Edison Home and Whiskey Creek are older, more established neighborhoods. If you move to Estero, you will probably be living in a gated community.

RE: 3 month rentals. Are you talking about furnished? From May-Oct will be the best time to find a rental unless you're willing to pay dearly. There are often 2 and 3 month rentals, but they're usually vacation properties. I hesitate to recommend VRBO, since I've had good & bad experiences, but that's probably a good place to start. I've seen a few summer rentals in nice communities listed for $1,000 a month. Just be careful and, as always, use due diligence before renting.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:00 PM

18 posts, read 27,182 times
SW cape is the best area of the cape in my opinion. although my husband and i are not home owners yet, we have explored the areas. down chiquita by cape harbour is beautiful. we just moved down last may and it was quiet and no traffic but once its season and the snow birds are back it takes us about 35-40 minutes to get into ft myers which usually takes us 10 maybe 15 the most when its not season

Old 04-17-2013, 05:21 PM

244 posts, read 487,481 times
yes Emjaybee, I agree, the SW Cape (south of Cape coral Parkway) is a very nice area. But I also like the yachtclub area as well as all the parkways on the east site of Del Prado (like Palaco grande, Savonna, Cornwallis, Beach, Orchid)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area