U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 05:01 PM

113 posts, read 251,122 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Spanish Wells neighborhood. Good, bad, or any opinions? We found a house we really like there but we were really focusing only in Naples and dont really know anything about Bonita.

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 10:12 AM

5 posts, read 10,569 times
sbapasto,
Sorry I don't know about Spanish Wells. I'm curious too so hopefully someone answers.

How do you like LSL? Are you considering buying there?

We're planning to move to the Naples/Bonita area next year so our search is just beginning. So many decisions (buy/sell, gated/nongated, closer to the beaches/east of 75 quieter area). I'd like to rent for awhile but I'm concerned about rising prices and rising interest rates.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:18 PM

14,267 posts, read 16,777,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbapasto View Post
Hi everyone-

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Spanish Wells neighborhood. Good, bad, or any opinions? We found a house we really like there but we were really focusing only in Naples and dont really know anything about Bonita.

Thanks in advance!
I lived in Bonita Springs for over 13 years until 2009. Spanish Wells is in a very convenient area with very little crime. A lot of naysayers will tell you Bonita isn't as safe or classy as Naples, but you can practically walk to some North Naples communities from Spanish Wells. Sterling Oaks and the very upscale Audubon Country Club community are just a short hop down 41. You will be very close to the beach too. Barefoot Beach is lovely, one of the prettiest in SWFL in my opinion, and Wiggins Pass State Park is only a 5 minute drive. You are also less than a mile from Sweetbay, Publix, CVS and Walgreens and the beautiful Coconut Mall is only about 7 miles north on route 41. Miromar Outlets is only 15-20 minutes north on I-75. I lived off of Bonita Beach Road west of 41, and it took me about 20 minutes to get to the Coastland Mall in Naples and another 5 or 10 minutes to get to downtown areas like 3rd Street South, depending on traffic of course. (There are periods when the roads are very congested.)

I don't know your budget or the type of housing you're looking for, but there are several different neighborhoods within Spanish Wells. It's an older community, but there are also newer sections. You probably need to check out the HOA fees too. I doubt if there's a CDD because of its age, but I'm not sure.

I hope you can find some members who live there on this board who can give you more specific information. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newB13 View Post

We're planning to move to the Naples/Bonita area next year so our search is just beginning. So many decisions (buy/sell, gated/nongated, closer to the beaches/east of 75 quieter area). I'd like to rent for awhile but I'm concerned about rising prices and rising interest rates.
Guess I was the last person who posted on this thread! Well, I thought I'd add something.

Just FYI, if you look at a map of Florida, you will notice that 41 and I-75 aren't too far apart in Bonita Springs. As you travel further north to cities like Sarasota and Tampa, there is a greater gap because I-75 starts moving closer to the center. So if you find a community you like that is east of I-75 (not too far east, however) like Village Walk, Worthington Country Club, Palmira Golf & Country Club, etc., don't worry about being too far from the beach or shopping.

Regarding "quieter" it really depends on the location of your home, but it's not necessarily noisier the closer you get to the beach. Always look at a bird's eye view of the home to see how close it is to traffic. It might seem as if you've driven a mile past a gate and you've really only traveled in a circle. I'm very sensitive to traffic noise and sirens, but that might not be important to you.

So much depends on a person's budget. The cost of the home is only one consideration. Sometimes the association fees are very high.

To the OP -- Have you looked at homes in Meadowbrook? I'm not sure if you are only interested in living in a gated, golf course community like Spanish Wells, but it's a pretty, deed-restricted community close to the Hyatt Regency and across the road from Coconut Point Mall. It has a Bonita Springs address like the Hyatt (zip code 34134) but it's right on the Estero border. There are so many choices in this area.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:08 PM

justNancy,
Thanks for replying. I think by "quieter" I meant less busy. People on here talk about the awful traffic, especially on 41 (and Immokalee too) so I was thinking maybe we should stay away from 41. Is it really that bad? You mentioned living near Bonita Beach Rd. If you drove to the Coconut Mall or down to Immokalee or Vanderbuilt Beach Road, is it literally bumper to bumper in season? I'm from the north and familiar with Boston and NYC traffic so I'm not sure what "the traffic is horrible" means.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newB13 View Post
justNancy,
Thanks for replying. I think by "quieter" I meant less busy. People on here talk about the awful traffic, especially on 41 (and Immokalee too) so I was thinking maybe we should stay away from 41. Is it really that bad? You mentioned living near Bonita Beach Rd. If you drove to the Coconut Mall or down to Immokalee or Vanderbuilt Beach Road, is it literally bumper to bumper in season? I'm from the north and familiar with Boston and NYC traffic so I'm not sure what "the traffic is horrible" means.
It really depends on your driving habits and where you like to go. I only had trouble getting from point A to point B during rush hour, which usually begins around 4. Sometimes there would be a traffic jam in the middle of the day, but that was usually due to an accident.

During the winter months you will definitely notice a big increase in traffic. Still, unless there's an accident or a brush fire, you should be able to drive around without too much trouble except during specific hours. When you live here full time you learn to adjust your schedule, that is, unless you need to commute to a job. Compared to other areas I've visited, I don't think the traffic in that area is too bad at all. Sarasota is much more congested IMHO.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:24 AM

22,573 posts, read 49,173,439 times
I use to live not that far from Spanish Wells. I always thought it was a pretty complex in a very convenient area. You are not far from the beach as well as I-75 and 41. During the housing bust there was an uptick in rentals in Spanish Wells. However, it wasn't horrible - not compared to some communites that really took a nose dive around that time.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:10 PM

60 posts, read 126,967 times
I've lived and driven in Boston and Cambridge. I didn't enjoy it. Most recently I've been living in north central NH and traffic is only an issue locally on Friday nights and Saturday mornings as the 'summer folk' arrive so I've not had to contend with much traffic lately. During the winter season in FL, once I figured out where things were in North Fort Myers to Bonita Springs, driving was a piece of cake. Would I avoid rush hour? Sure, but generally traffic even if busy is not congested. Flat, straight, well maintained roads, pretty well regulated and decent signage. Not half bad, Alf.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:50 PM

"Most recently I've been living in north central NH." This sounds lovely.

Thanks for the info about the traffic. Next trip down to FL, I'll be sure to try out rush hour travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area