U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 AM

130 posts, read 242,053 times

Advertisements

We want to come down to attend to our house for about 5-6 days. It's the rainy/storm season and of course we would like to avoid several days of downpours if we could. It seems to me that I hear about possible storms developing quite a while before they actually do - but I could be wrong. So if there's a storm like Andrea possibly developing....how long before the storm hit did you know the possibility existed?
I hope this makes sense. Or perhaps there is not way to predict...we just get our tickets and keep our fingers crossed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 AM

41,532 posts, read 19,779,188 times
My limited experience is that "the rainy season" isn't a problem. During the rainy season we get a downpour every afternoon....it lasts perhaps an hour, not much longer. The mornings are sunny and beautiful and the sun comes out again after the downpour. Rainy Season.....no problem.

But hurricanes.....I think that's what you are worried about....."Hurricane season" is the worry. From what I can gather....hurricanes aren't sudden and unpredictable....like a tornedo......the weather men chart them and possible tracks. Its on the TV.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:58 PM

22,576 posts, read 49,518,517 times
It depends. To this day, hurricanes aren't that predictable.

Hurricane Charley was suppose to keep going north with the prediction that it would head inland at Tampa. There were no evacuations ordered, everything seemed fine. At the last minute, Charley did a 90 degree turn to the right and we were in trouble. When I say last minute I mean that at 11:30 a.m. on Friday, August 13, 2004, Jim Syoen said that the hurricane had done a "bobble" to the right but the hurricane was still on track to hit Tampa and not us. That afternoon it famously cut across Captiva, creating "Charley's Cut," and headed into Southwest Florida.

Hurricanes are not tornadoes. They aren't going to hit within minutes with barely any warning. But they are difficult to predict. I've seen hurricanes turn 180 degrees, do loopy-de-loops, go inland, turn around and head back out to sea, you name it. And unfortunately, if you are working you can't just vacate well in advance. Most of the working people were expected to report to work the day Charley came in. By then it was too late to evacuate. And most of the retirees didn't see the need to leave.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:48 PM

616 posts, read 1,423,952 times
National Hurricane Center

You usually have days if not a week depending on when you look at the site. Keep an eye on the local news.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:14 PM

11,380 posts, read 10,110,575 times
When you live in a hurricane prone area (also read tropical depression and storm), you tend to watch the weather channel a lot from May through November. You have a general idea a couple of weeks out the direction of a storm (Gulf or Atlantic) and then start planning. Within seven days you have a good idea of how close it will get to you. The authorities generally start evacuating 48-36 hours out.

Because of building codes, unless you are directly on the water, any modern built structure is going to be safe as long as it is under a Category 1 hurricane and you are at least 20 feet above sea level unless your home is surrounded by unstable large trees.

As far as summer rains are concerned, it's Florida. Expect it to be really hot, humid, with a chance of thunderstorms daily.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:27 PM

296 posts, read 410,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtobewarm View Post
We want to come down to attend to our house for about 5-6 days. It's the rainy/storm season and of course we would like to avoid several days of downpours if we could. It seems to me that I hear about possible storms developing quite a while before they actually do - but I could be wrong. So if there's a storm like Andrea possibly developing....how long before the storm hit did you know the possibility existed?
I hope this makes sense. Or perhaps there is not way to predict...we just get our tickets and keep our fingers crossed.
You can plan for it to rain about every afternoon about 4:00 p.m. it rains for about 20-30 min. Then the sun comes out. You just plan around it. Most folks do things in the morning, or late in the afternoon and just work around it. Its just a fact of SW Fl. Normally not a full day of rain this time of year. They are scattered showers though. It can be dry 3 blocks away from your house.
Tropical Storms/Hurricanes have plenty of advanced warning, like days usually. Predicting where it will go is the hard part. I know its a little unsettling to watch the news hundreds of miles away, the National news likes to make a bigger deal about them than the local Fl. news and weather its just part of life to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area