Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,944 times

Advertisements

I am a 44 y/o single woman, looking to move from cold ohio to warm sunny florida. I have vacationed in both sarasota and ft myers years ago. which city would be more productive on jobs, shopping, restaruants, etc. for my age and status. thanks anyone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 06:22 AM

3 posts, read 7,315 times
We moved from Ohio to the Sarasota area in summer 2010. We lived there until a better career opportunity came open in Ft. Myers in fall 2012. We are just a few years older than you and work full time. While each have their advantages I'd recommend Sarasota. My impressions: Sarasota is quite a bit more cosmopolitan. Sarasota has a better cultural scene, especially in season. The restaurants in Sarasota are more diverse with more one of a kind restaurants (Ft. Myers seems mostly chain type). We eat out fairly regularly and I use trip advisor, urban spoon and yelp so I'm pretty confident about my assessment. Naples may have more promise for restaurants. The beaches are more diverse in Sarasota in size and type. Housing seems more expensive in Ft. Myers. Ft. Myers does have its own major airport. The Sarasota airport has many fewer flights. There is one thing that is pretty objective though... Sarasota is nearer to a major metropolitan area: Tampa-St. Petersburg. It's only 50 to 70 miles. You have access to pro baseball, pro football and major concert venues. The Eagles will play Tampa and Miami, but not Ft. Myers. Ft. Myers is over 100 miles to either Tampa or Miami. There are more interesting things to do in Tampa-St. Pete than any of the cities I've mentioned except maybe Miami.

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2013, 07:22 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Cost of homes in Sarasota has been higher than Fort Myers for as long as I can remember. Right now, the median sales price in Sarasota is $184,750 and in Fort Myers it is $145,000. However, there is a reason for that. I agree with everything relohelp wrote other than prices. Sarasota has always been more cosmopolitan, I even like the vibe more. And as they said, it is closer to the Tampa metro area which puts you closer to even more activities, restaurants and jobs.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:03 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,504 times
Whatever you do, find a job before moving. There aren't too many jobs in Florida.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:48 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,330,107 times
The median age in Fort Myers is much lower than Sarasota.

//www.city-data.com/city/Sarasota-Florida.html 48.6

//www.city-data.com/city/Sarasota-Florida.html 35.8

Old 08-06-2013, 05:14 AM

319 posts, read 611,950 times
What is your status? Sarasota is affluent for half the year, cooler months. During the summer we all slogg it out and dream of visiting Alaska for a little cool weather...

If your in the service industry, Sarasota will have its ups and downs. If your a business person, Sarasota and Naples is where the money is.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-06-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugManTPC View Post
What is your status? Sarasota is affluent for half the year, cooler months. During the summer we all slogg it out and dream of visiting Alaska for a little cool weather...

If your in the service industry, Sarasota will have its ups and downs. If your a business person, Sarasota and Naples is where the money is.

Hope that helps!
If you are in service, Fort Myers is no better. It heavily, heavily relies on the snowbirds and there is a very distinctive season. Even if you work in a grocery store you could easily have your hours cut from 40 to 12 without any warning. Not that I know anything about that...

Old 08-07-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
If you are in service, Fort Myers is no better. It heavily, heavily relies on the snowbirds and there is a very distinctive season. Even if you work in a grocery store you could easily have your hours cut from 40 to 12 without any warning. Not that I know anything about that...
That is an accurate description.

I worked for the big evil Wal-Mart for 10 years. I was in management. It is true that they cut hours when it is slow. If you are full time, they will cut your hours way below 40 when they don't need you. It has been a long time since I worked there, but I think they can cut you to 27 hours or so and still be considered full time; although that may be 32. Someone else may chime in on that.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
That is an accurate description.

I worked for the big evil Wal-Mart for 10 years. I was in management. It is true that they cut hours when it is slow. If you are full time, they will cut your hours way below 40 when they don't need you. It has been a long time since I worked there, but I think they can cut you to 27 hours or so and still be considered full time; although that may be 32. Someone else may chime in on that.
Actually, my example was what happened to me when I worked for Publix. I needed a quick job when my daughter was a baby. Publix hired me on as full-time. I got fairly decent wages, thanks to my resume, too. Anyway, they said it wouldn't go below 40 hours. At the end of April I walked into the breakroom and there on the wall was next week's schedule and I was working 12 hours.

I write all of this lest anyone think, "Well, that's the big, bad Walmart." Publix - voted one of the best places to work for years - did the same thing even though they said they wouldn't and my fellow employees got the same treatment. That's "season" for ya.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Actually, my example was what happened to me when I worked for Publix. I needed a quick job when my daughter was a baby. Publix hired me on as full-time. I got fairly decent wages, thanks to my resume, too. Anyway, they said it wouldn't go below 40 hours. At the end of April I walked into the breakroom and there on the wall was next week's schedule and I was working 12 hours.

I write all of this lest anyone think, "Well, that's the big, bad Walmart." Publix - voted one of the best places to work for years - did the same thing even though they said they wouldn't and my fellow employees got the same treatment. That's "season" for ya.
Yeah, I worked at Publix too. I can attest to your statement. That happened to some that I knew of.

The bad thing about SW Florida, is that you need to manage your money really well (which is hard with the meager wages) to prepare for off season. I know that a lot of people lose half of their salary in the off season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area