Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 06:44 PM

61 posts, read 105,660 times

Advertisements

I've visited FMB several times, but I have never been to Sanibel. If we don't rent a car, is there other ways to get there like the trollies? Also, can you tell me what you like about it? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 08:08 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,885,816 times
At Sanibel, we had a great time kayaking at Tarpon Bay. It also has good biking trails. That's it.

FMB has more places to eat outside with nice views (Junkanoos, Nervous Nellies, Bonita Bills, Doc Fords, Pinchers, plus others).

The south part of FMB has MUCH more wildlife than Sanibel. The trolley also goes to Lovers Key.

The sand on the Sanibel beaches is kind of gritty. Not as soft as FMB.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:27 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,209,371 times
Sanibel is less commercialized. Actually, that's an understatement. The residents, mostly very affluent, have kept tight control on how things look, what comes in. If you like that sort of look, something along the lines of Martha Vineyard, as opposed to the very commercialized Fort Myers Beach, than it will be for you. It's the sort of shabby chic that folks from a certain socio-economic background often prefer.

Frankly, I'd take Sanibel over Fort Myers Beach any day, but I'm thrilled that not everyone else is enamored of it.

Getting around Fort Myers, Fort Myers Beach and Captiva and Sanibel is going to tough without a car. Florida is very car-centric. Even in places like Orlando, a much more populated area, the buses are often inconvenient, and often crowded and not particularly pleasant for tourists.

There is no trolley or bus that goes to Sanibel or Captiva.

http://www.rideleetran.com/pdfs/SystemMapWeb.pdf

Do yourself a huge favor and rent a car.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:00 AM

282 posts, read 1,007,871 times
I have been to both and I would take Sanibel over Fort Myers beach any day as well. Sanibel Island (I go to Bowman's Beach) is a place of serenity and relaxation and FMB is commercialized and more fast paced.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelala View Post
I have been to both and I would take Sanibel over Fort Myers beach any day as well. Sanibel Island (I go to Bowman's Beach) is a place of serenity and relaxation and FMB is commercialized and more fast paced.
We went to Bowman's Beach and didn't like it at all. My wife and I like to walk on the beach, but Bowman's was too soft above the high-tide mark and there was too much slope down near the water. It was not enjoyable for walking. In addition, the sand was too gritty and, except for one gull, there was no wildlife.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Do yourself a huge favor and rent a car.
If you rent a car, you can drive to one of our favorite places - Bunche Beach. The beach itself is very short, but if you go at low tide you can walk WAY out on the sand bars where you can find lots of interesting sea creatures - if you know how to look for them.

We went there on a short guided tour and the leader was great at finding things in the sand. He even found two large horseshoe crabs mating in the sand. Yes, we had the decency to leave them alone.

We found a baby blowfish in one of the tidal pools and I caught a male fiddler crab with my bare hands. Don't laugh. The claw on those little suckers is pretty impressive.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:05 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,209,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
If you rent a car, you can drive to one of our favorite places - Bunche Beach. The beach itself is very short, but if you go at low tide you can walk WAY out on the sand bars where you can find lots of interesting sea creatures - if you know how to look for them.

We went there on a short guided tour and the leader was great at finding things in the sand. He even found two large horseshoe crabs mating in the sand. Yes, we had the decency to leave them alone.

We found a baby blowfish in one of the tidal pools and I caught a male fiddler crab with my bare hands. Don't laugh. The claw on those little suckers is pretty impressive.
That just goes to show how different everyone is. I hate Bunch Beach. It's not commercial, at least, so I'll give it that. And I imagine it is great for someone looking for wildlife but it certainly isn't a good beach if you want to sunbathe or walk. It's not really taken care of. It also has a lot of no-seeums at dusk. Nasty.

By the way, back in the day it was the only beach that blacks could go to. The locals call it (insert nasty word) Beach.

ugh.

But it is not known for being a nice beach.

But I could see why someone that is interested in such things would like it.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:41 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,084,859 times
FMB seemed a little honky tonk to me. there are a lot more beach bars, spring break location type place. it is on a main strip and pretty lively.

Sanibel is more of a laid back island feel. when on Bowmans beach there are no condos or traffic behind it. I usually have pretty good luck walking a little down the beach and find a nice secluded spot to fish. It is more about the sound of the waves and the smell of the beach. much more relaxing and peaceful.

If I were a teenager to age 27 I would probably find Sanibel boring and prefer FMB.

I think it is party vs paradise

Old 10-03-2013, 06:39 PM

964 posts, read 2,062,344 times
Yep - they are two completely different experiences. A comparison would be some Jersey shore towns (think Seaside Heights and Snookie before Hurricane Sandy) versus the Outer Banks, only one can savor both within a 45 minute drive in SWFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
FMB seemed a little honky tonk to me. there are a lot more beach bars, spring break location type place. it is on a main strip and pretty lively.

Sanibel is more of a laid back island feel. when on Bowmans beach there are no condos or traffic behind it. I usually have pretty good luck walking a little down the beach and find a nice secluded spot to fish. It is more about the sound of the waves and the smell of the beach. much more relaxing and peaceful.

If I were a teenager to age 27 I would probably find Sanibel boring and prefer FMB.

I think it is party vs paradise

Old 10-03-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I hate Bunch Beach. It also has a lot of no-seeums at dusk. Nasty.
WOW, you can say that again!! And again and again!!!

After we finished our guided tour in the evening, the leader said he wanted to get back to his car before the bugs started biting. We didn't know what he was talking about, so we stayed a little past susnset and then walked back to our car. Those little bugs about ate us alive!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area