U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2013, 06:44 PM
 
61 posts, read 92,888 times
Reputation: 47

Advertisements

I've visited FMB several times, but I have never been to Sanibel. If we don't rent a car, is there other ways to get there like the trollies? Also, can you tell me what you like about it? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2013, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,612 posts, read 4,290,870 times
Reputation: 1406
At Sanibel, we had a great time kayaking at Tarpon Bay. It also has good biking trails. That's it.

FMB has more places to eat outside with nice views (Junkanoos, Nervous Nellies, Bonita Bills, Doc Fords, Pinchers, plus others).

The south part of FMB has MUCH more wildlife than Sanibel. The trolley also goes to Lovers Key.

The sand on the Sanibel beaches is kind of gritty. Not as soft as FMB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 06:27 AM
 
Location: The Conterminous United States
22,564 posts, read 48,843,467 times
Reputation: 13442
Sanibel is less commercialized. Actually, that's an understatement. The residents, mostly very affluent, have kept tight control on how things look, what comes in. If you like that sort of look, something along the lines of Martha Vineyard, as opposed to the very commercialized Fort Myers Beach, than it will be for you. It's the sort of shabby chic that folks from a certain socio-economic background often prefer.

Frankly, I'd take Sanibel over Fort Myers Beach any day, but I'm thrilled that not everyone else is enamored of it.

Getting around Fort Myers, Fort Myers Beach and Captiva and Sanibel is going to tough without a car. Florida is very car-centric. Even in places like Orlando, a much more populated area, the buses are often inconvenient, and often crowded and not particularly pleasant for tourists.

There is no trolley or bus that goes to Sanibel or Captiva.

http://www.rideleetran.com/pdfs/SystemMapWeb.pdf

Do yourself a huge favor and rent a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Indiana and Cape Coral
282 posts, read 921,011 times
Reputation: 150
I have been to both and I would take Sanibel over Fort Myers beach any day as well. Sanibel Island (I go to Bowman's Beach) is a place of serenity and relaxation and FMB is commercialized and more fast paced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,612 posts, read 4,290,870 times
Reputation: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelala View Post
I have been to both and I would take Sanibel over Fort Myers beach any day as well. Sanibel Island (I go to Bowman's Beach) is a place of serenity and relaxation and FMB is commercialized and more fast paced.
We went to Bowman's Beach and didn't like it at all. My wife and I like to walk on the beach, but Bowman's was too soft above the high-tide mark and there was too much slope down near the water. It was not enjoyable for walking. In addition, the sand was too gritty and, except for one gull, there was no wildlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,612 posts, read 4,290,870 times
Reputation: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Do yourself a huge favor and rent a car.
If you rent a car, you can drive to one of our favorite places - Bunche Beach. The beach itself is very short, but if you go at low tide you can walk WAY out on the sand bars where you can find lots of interesting sea creatures - if you know how to look for them.

We went there on a short guided tour and the leader was great at finding things in the sand. He even found two large horseshoe crabs mating in the sand. Yes, we had the decency to leave them alone.

We found a baby blowfish in one of the tidal pools and I caught a male fiddler crab with my bare hands. Don't laugh. The claw on those little suckers is pretty impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 04:05 PM
 
Location: The Conterminous United States
22,564 posts, read 48,843,467 times
Reputation: 13442
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
If you rent a car, you can drive to one of our favorite places - Bunche Beach. The beach itself is very short, but if you go at low tide you can walk WAY out on the sand bars where you can find lots of interesting sea creatures - if you know how to look for them.

We went there on a short guided tour and the leader was great at finding things in the sand. He even found two large horseshoe crabs mating in the sand. Yes, we had the decency to leave them alone.

We found a baby blowfish in one of the tidal pools and I caught a male fiddler crab with my bare hands. Don't laugh. The claw on those little suckers is pretty impressive.
That just goes to show how different everyone is. I hate Bunch Beach. It's not commercial, at least, so I'll give it that. And I imagine it is great for someone looking for wildlife but it certainly isn't a good beach if you want to sunbathe or walk. It's not really taken care of. It also has a lot of no-seeums at dusk. Nasty.

By the way, back in the day it was the only beach that blacks could go to. The locals call it (insert nasty word) Beach.

ugh.

But it is not known for being a nice beach.

But I could see why someone that is interested in such things would like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Florida Space Coast
2,333 posts, read 4,384,378 times
Reputation: 1514
FMB seemed a little honky tonk to me. there are a lot more beach bars, spring break location type place. it is on a main strip and pretty lively.

Sanibel is more of a laid back island feel. when on Bowmans beach there are no condos or traffic behind it. I usually have pretty good luck walking a little down the beach and find a nice secluded spot to fish. It is more about the sound of the waves and the smell of the beach. much more relaxing and peaceful.

If I were a teenager to age 27 I would probably find Sanibel boring and prefer FMB.

I think it is party vs paradise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Cape Coral, FL
964 posts, read 1,847,164 times
Reputation: 589
Yep - they are two completely different experiences. A comparison would be some Jersey shore towns (think Seaside Heights and Snookie before Hurricane Sandy) versus the Outer Banks, only one can savor both within a 45 minute drive in SWFL.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
FMB seemed a little honky tonk to me. there are a lot more beach bars, spring break location type place. it is on a main strip and pretty lively.

Sanibel is more of a laid back island feel. when on Bowmans beach there are no condos or traffic behind it. I usually have pretty good luck walking a little down the beach and find a nice secluded spot to fish. It is more about the sound of the waves and the smell of the beach. much more relaxing and peaceful.

If I were a teenager to age 27 I would probably find Sanibel boring and prefer FMB.

I think it is party vs paradise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,612 posts, read 4,290,870 times
Reputation: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I hate Bunch Beach. It also has a lot of no-seeums at dusk. Nasty.
WOW, you can say that again!! And again and again!!!

After we finished our guided tour in the evening, the leader said he wanted to get back to his car before the bugs started biting. We didn't know what he was talking about, so we stayed a little past susnset and then walked back to our car. Those little bugs about ate us alive!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top