Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 06:18 AM

518 posts, read 1,230,822 times

Advertisements

I just got my flood insurance policy renewal. It went up 25%. I am homesteaded with a new home. I would expect that increase for the next 4 years. But that is about what everything is going up lately. Most of my bills are rising 15 to 25%. But my ss went up less than 2%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 06:20 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,872,630 times
That is really outrageous...there has not been a major storm in the area in many years.The insurance companies are raking in billions

Old 11-17-2013, 07:09 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,629,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
I just got my flood insurance policy renewal. It went up 25%. I am homesteaded with a new home. I would expect that increase for the next 4 years. But that is about what everything is going up lately. Most of my bills are rising 15 to 25%. But my ss went up less than 2%.
There is a misunderstanding about the increase in flood insurance.

If you live in a pre Firm house your insurance will increase by 25% per year until you reach the actual cost of insurance.

As an example if your insurance was costing $1000 per year but the real cost should be $3000 your insurance cost will increase by $250 or 25% of $1000 the first year and in year two the increase will be 25% of $1250 or $312.50 and so on until you reach the moving target of $3000.

Gary

Old 11-17-2013, 07:17 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,629,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiege1224 View Post
Just curious what is your BFE and flood elevation?

Gary

Old 12-28-2013, 11:17 AM

5 posts, read 6,750 times
We don't live on Sanibel but homeowners insurance rates are something we all deal with. Four years ago when we bought our house we were told Citizens was the only one that would cover us. The rates seemed huge given the size of the house, etc.

Fast forward to now.... I missed the opt-out letter for Heritage to assume us from Citizens. I called my local company and all of a sudden there are other companies to choose from, one that is Six or seven hundred cheaper, same coverage. Go figure.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I'm not affiliated with Citizens, I don't even write home insurance in Florida. But I want to bring up some points. People tend to think about premiums and how low they can get them without ever thinking about the coverage they have or if they will be able to get help if something were to happen. It's typical short-sightedness. Citizens may be bad but are the other companies going to be better? Will they have the money to pay you in the event of a loss? Citizens is no guarantee, either, but they are often considered a better bet than some of those very small, untested companies.

Citizens Insurance: New, untested market emerging - Sun Sentinel

Just some points to ponder.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:49 PM

8 posts, read 30,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtobewarm View Post
Hey thanks - I get it now. Just got bogged down in terminology. Can you tell me what the difference is in homes built prior to 1974? OUrs was built in 84, but just wondering. Also...have the rates been adjusted for CC? We just bought our home a couple months ago - when would a rate increase come through? We have Citizens although we were going to shop around. Our agent had told us we had to go through citizens, but am not sure that was true.
I found a good thread in the Punta Gorda forum. Trying to muddle my way through it.

Get rid of citizens, theyre the highest around if you want I can give you the name of the company I use, im paying like 1200 and house is in cape on fresh water, 2200 sq ft with pool.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:26 PM

11 posts, read 15,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki2330 View Post
Get rid of citizens, theyre the highest around if you want I can give you the name of the company I use, im paying like 1200 and house is in cape on fresh water, 2200 sq ft with pool.

Ok, give us some names!

Old 02-08-2014, 12:12 PM

5 posts, read 6,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm not affiliated with Citizens, I don't even write home insurance in Florida. But I want to bring up some points. People tend to think about premiums and how low they can get them without ever thinking about the coverage they have or if they will be able to get help if something were to happen. It's typical short-sightedness. Citizens may be bad but are the other companies going to be better? Will they have the money to pay you in the event of a loss? Citizens is no guarantee, either, but they are often considered a better bet than some of those very small, untested companies.

Citizens Insurance: New, untested market emerging - Sun Sentinel

Just some points to ponder.
Not shortsighted at all. BTW, the coverage offered was actually somewhat larger than Citizens.
The long and short of it is that there are a lot of people who simply cannot afford the crazy rates. It's been out of control for a long time.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:49 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh9090 View Post
Not shortsighted at all. BTW, the coverage offered was actually somewhat larger than Citizens.
The long and short of it is that there are a lot of people who simply cannot afford the crazy rates. It's been out of control for a long time.
So if the company goes bankrupt before paying your claim can you foot the bill for a total loss? And if you can, do you want to?

My point is the people that can't afford the rates are probably the same people that can't afford to lose everything or take the sort of hit, either.

Also, small companies that aren't that financially healthy don't have the sort of reserve, are more apt to argue about routine claims, denying or giving you less than you'll need.

Just playing devil's advocate knowing that not everyone always thinks things through when they find a bargain-basement rate.

Florida property owners are quick to call prices out of control but notice how all but these small upstart companies and Citizens are insuring property. There's a reason for that. Folks complain that their insurance companies are making hand over fist but if you don't have a company with the means to be there for their customers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area