Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 09:40 AM

544 posts, read 1,435,162 times

Advertisements

As most of us know, there are very few fenced yards in CC. So those of us with dogs are forced to walk them to relieve themselves. I always clean up after my dogs and they've always had a fenced yard with grass. They have always relieved themselves on grass or in fields as well when we take them for walks.

Since moving here I have to walk them up and down the block, my sheltie will just about go on command, the shih tzu can take a while longer because he has to sniff EVERYTHING. One of the yards I like to take them to is closed up during the summer and I guess the owners come down in the winter. The other day I noticed a handmade sign saying keep dogs off lawn. I'm not sure what to do, we've had a major tick problem since moving here, so I am trying to keep them out of the fields, we've sprayed our yard but the landscaper doesn't mow the weeds low enough to control the ticks (we rent and the mowing is included). There's no way I will let them go off leash, too many cats around to chase and I don't want them getting hit by a car. I don't want to have any confrontations with the neighbor if the dogs go in their yard even if it's just off the street, but they tend to like the grass better than the weeds. Any suggestions? I always carry poop bags and clean up after them.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:28 PM

47,834 posts, read 21,867,692 times
I live in a gated ft myers community I do understand what you are describing......and it takes understanding of the homeowners.....and patience.....and I have not always risen to the occasion and have "had a verbal altercation" with a neighbor over this issue. I have a fenced in back yard but my two doggies like to go for a walk and that is when they do their business....the whole business!

90% of the neighbors also walk their dogs....this is a very dog friendly neighborhood of nicely maintained homes. There is one neighbor who isn't friendly and doesn't welcome any social interactions. She came home one day as my dog was on her lawn (the absolute worst lawn in the whole development) and she bruskly said......I wish you wouldn't let your dogs on my property. Now mind you her little doggie has run over to my yard to do #2 and her grown son watched but didn't come over to clean it up and directly across the street from her home is a common area maintained by the HOA....her little dog goes there and they never clean up after it! So I got heated and talked back to her. But I have avoided her house ....her end of the street in fact.

After I cooled down I had to admit that any homeowner has a right to say they don't want dogs on their property.

However their property doesn't come right down to the sidewalk or road.....there is quite a wide swath of land that is part of the communities....so many feet from the center of the road.....it usually extends about 3 or 4 feet into the yard of each house.)

But I am willing to keep my dogs away from yards where they are not wanted.....my route includes houses of dog walkers who come to my yard....and a vacant lot that everyone seems to use (unfortunately since it hasn't ever had a house there ..... people don't consider it private property ..... but it is. And since it is not occupied....not everyone cleans up after their dog over there.

So my advice is to sure to carry bags and more than enough with you. Be scrupulous about always cleaning up after your doggie.....and respect the wishes of the rare owner who will express their wish for you to keep your dog off their lawn.

Last edited by elston; 11-16-2013 at 04:51 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 08:15 AM

Thanks for the response. I do clean up after them because it's disgusting not to. I wish the neighbors with 8 cats next door felt the same way since their litter box is apparently on the side of our house and in our front garden. So disgusting and it stinks!

I've noticed that people have no problem letting their cats run free. I love mine so they stay indoors or in the fenced in lanai where they're safe. The same neighbors also have 2 pit bulls, they use the lanai/pool area for a bathroom and they clean up after them maybe once a month and that's a BIG MAYBE. ICK AND EEK! Otherwise nice people.

Well hopefully there won't be any issues. Our lease is up at the end of January and we're still debating whether or not to lease for another 6 months. That will depend on whether or not I end up having to commute to Tampa to work. I hope not.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:24 AM

47,834 posts, read 21,867,692 times
I agree that the inequity between dog laws and cat laws is unfair......I hated it when I lived in a house in which the neighbors cats regularly used my flower beds as their potty.....and even worse when a Tom Cat would spray his urine/musk on our front door. Disgusting. I did use cayenne pepper as a deterrent with some success. But you have to continuously reapply it to the garden.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:00 AM

I've also heard about using moth balls to deter them. It's not just gross, it's really unsanitary. I love cats, I have 3 and have had them all my life. I've always kept them indoors, I think the ones that run wild are from the people who are too lazy or cheap to take care of litter boxes and then throw that inconsideration onto others.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:25 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,858,805 times
Whatever you do, do not let your dog poop in someone else's yard. EVER.

Let them poop in the field, if you're concerned about ticks/fleas then use a flea/tick product and check your pet after your walk. You should be checking your pet for ticks anyway.

Here in Fort Myers it's a $100 fine on top of the community fine of $100. People who don't curb their dogs need to fall face first into the pile they left behind.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:51 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,869,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Let them poop in the field
Make sure it is a field that no kids play in.

On rare occasions, people let their dog poop in our yard. I use a shovel to pick it up and put it on the sidewalk so they will hopefully step in it the next time they walk their dog. At least they will see it and realize the owner definitely does not like dog poop in their yard.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:21 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,856,660 times
First of all.....don't be disrespecting pussycats.They bury their dumps,unlike dogs.
To all of you that are sick of people letting their dogs crap on your lawn...here's the solution.I've used it for years as a practical joke and also to keep people from using my lawn a s a pottie for their dogs.
Buy a bag of Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix and mix it with water.....add some Gravey Master to make it a little darker.Once it is firm,push it through a pastry bag and it will come out looking exactly like a big pile of dog doo.
Lay three or four of them in your grass next to the sidewalk.......when people walk by with their dogs........the dogs will run right over and gobble up the stiffing and their owners will absolutely freak out to see that they have a $hit eating dog.So much fun

Old 11-17-2013, 07:21 PM

Can I do the same with cats? Seriously...Ft. Myers could make a ton of money fining cat owners, same goes for CC! There is no community here thankfully, I don't know what CC does.

I pick up after my dogs even when they deign to poop in a field which isn't often. Sorry they're very used to Kentucky bluegrass from our yard. If it's that huge of a problem they should start fining cat owners and use the money to put in sidewalks between the yards and the street. Yes, I've had neighbors soil my lawn too, but in the grand scheme of things there are worse things out there, like a kid running into your car on their bike.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
First of all.....don't be disrespecting pussycats.They bury their dumps,unlike dogs.
To all of you that are sick of people letting their dogs crap on your lawn...here's the solution.I've used it for years as a practical joke and also to keep people from using my lawn a s a pottie for their dogs.
Buy a bag of Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix and mix it with water.....add some Gravey Master to make it a little darker.Once it is firm,push it through a pastry bag and it will come out looking exactly like a big pile of dog doo.
Lay three or four of them in your grass next to the sidewalk.......when people walk by with their dogs........the dogs will run right over and gobble up the stiffing and their owners will absolutely freak out to see that they have a $hit eating dog.So much fun
Ummm, no the cats DO NOT COVER THEIR POOP. And dogs eat cat poop...disgusting habit but yes they smell the cat food in it and eat it. Where I come from we call it kitty roca lol. When the cats run out of room to "bury" their dumps which the ones next door DON'T DO, what do you think they do? They just keep going in the same place and leave it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area