Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 10:05 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,293,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynR View Post
My husband and I are moving to Florida next year when he retires. We are considering homes in Cape Coral, Venice, Port St. Lucie and Citrus Hills. We are looking for a house no more than $300K. We live in Ohio and want the warmth of Florida. What are the best online sites to get information about these places?

If anyone has ANY suggestions or comments about living in Florida, or in any of those cities, ANYTHING would be very welcome.
Read through the many pages of past posts and you will learn most of what you need about Fort Myers/Cape Coral. Do the same in the other cities forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,576 times
Default Before You Move to Cape Coral

We bought our house in Cape Coral in June 2013. Had we bought one two months earlier, we could have gotten the house for $20,000.00 less. But the house was still a bargain with all the furniture included, even with two Roombas and a big screen LCD TV. When we get our homestead exemption, our real estate taxes should be no more that $2000.00 at most. Up in the Chicago area, we were paying over $9000.00 Our houe here is 3 BR, 2B, 1915 sq ft air conditioned space. There are two of us in the house and our water bill, including sewer and garbage pick-up, is about $100 per month and my last electric bill for August (hottest part of the summer) is $236. Cost of daily living is comparable up north. Considering the high real estate taxes in Illinois, I would say that we cut our our living expenses in at least half. Standard lots here is 80 ft. y 125 ft. so there is enough space for a garden in the back where one could grow fruit trees and vegetables. Tropical fruit trees and vegetables grow here year round. We have already been harvesting fruits and vegetables as we planted grafted fruit trees. We hardly buy vegetables anymore. Fishing places are nearby and Cape Coral has a free fishing pier at the Yacht Club. Most of all the people, esp. our neighbors, have been very, very nice.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:59 PM

4 posts, read 6,996 times
We will be moving to CC on December 20 and can't wait. We visited in October and loved it. When it's all said and done, a lot of it is where you come from, and what kind of person you are.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 5,574 times
We recently bought a house there and are moving there this spring from Ma. Are realtor actually told us all about the rules. We were surprised but actually liked it. We are both retired and thought we'd go there for some warmer weather. Hopefully we made the right decision. If not we move on.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:15 PM

[quote=ANN GENTILE;37921102]We recently bought a house in CC and are moving there this spring from Ma. Are realtor actually told us all about the rules. We were surprised but actually liked it. It would be nice to have peoples yards unclutered. We are both retired and thought we'd go there for some warmer weather. Hopefully we made the right decision. I' ll let everyone know once were there and settled in.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 30,018 times
We moved out to Lehigh about 3 months ago. At first everyone would say "EWW I COULDN'T LIVE IN LEHIGH" We were going to buy a house in CC but for the money we wasn't getting what we wanted. In Lehigh we bought our 2000 sq ft pool home in a beautiful neighborhood for 100,000. Our taxes will be around 500 a year. I don't understand why people say that the crime rate is high here. When I turn on the News it is mostly about somebody being killed in CC or something to do with CC. You do from time to time hear of things in Lehigh but on average it is not as bad as people tell you it is. So after moving here and not knowing anything about Lehigh and CC I am really glad we chose to live in Lehigh.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:34 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,293,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipcar View Post
We moved out to Lehigh about 3 months ago. At first everyone would say "EWW I COULDN'T LIVE IN LEHIGH" We were going to buy a house in CC but for the money we wasn't getting what we wanted. In Lehigh we bought our 2000 sq ft pool home in a beautiful neighborhood for 100,000. Our taxes will be around 500 a year. I don't understand why people say that the crime rate is high here. When I turn on the News it is mostly about somebody being killed in CC or something to do with CC. You do from time to time hear of things in Lehigh but on average it is not as bad as people tell you it is. So after moving here and not knowing anything about Lehigh and CC I am really glad we chose to live in Lehigh.
What news station do you watch?

Old 01-14-2015, 11:43 AM

964 posts, read 2,055,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
What news station do you watch?
Priceless.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:20 PM

33,462 posts, read 17,970,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipcar View Post
It really depends on the area .. I know that there is crime all over.. some areas are worse in every town and city and some are better.. glad you love it in Lehigh... I live in the Cape and in the NE section above Kismet , the through street near my section.. It is a very quiet area... All the homes are getting fresh paint and landscaping as investors are flipping them.. My neighbor just put in a huge pool and patio which is beautiful. She turned it into a real show place.

And new palm trees are going in everywhere along the streets.

We have been fortunate with new neighbors buying in the neighborhood which was full of foreclosures..

It really is the area. Some people think all of Lehigh and the NE section of the Cape is crime infested but the reality is they are not.

I have seen some old shabby neighborhoods with cracked driveways,houses needing paint, and lawns that are weeds in all parts of the Cape ..

Old 01-27-2015, 11:34 AM

does anyone know about the SE section of CC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area