Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 09:27 AM

30 posts, read 32,337 times

Advertisements

Hey I might want to move to this area... What is the music scene like? I play jazz/pop and I play originals, very unique music. And I don't mean early maroon 5. It's not crowd pleasing.

Are there groups that play this type of music? The closest thing is John Mayer. I'm really keen on making a band and getting things solidified, and playing out. It's a big thing for me, so I want to be in an area where I can do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 10:16 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardnerj View Post
Hey I might want to move to this area... What is the music scene like? I play jazz/pop and I play originals, very unique music. And I don't mean early maroon 5. It's not crowd pleasing.

Are there groups that play this type of music? The closest thing is John Mayer. I'm really keen on making a band and getting things solidified, and playing out. It's a big thing for me, so I want to be in an area where I can do that.

the music scene is actually pretty good, many places have live entertainment. however I have found some pretty big differences in the venues. because it is largely an older population from all different parts of the country and world there are smaller niche places but overall I hear a lot of country music/ island style / classic rock. I could see more upscale areas having a jazz/ pop band Brew Babies in Cape Coral had something like that going on when I was there. Original music is always tough. Karaoke has a strong presence down there as well. As far as pay , the musicians aren't paid as much as up north.

If the music scene was my driving force I would look into Cambridge Massachusetts find an apartment in either Brighton or Allston

there is a band named two ton shoe that played a lot of places with that style of music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBRur8ppczI

check them out

Last edited by nhkev; 04-30-2014 at 10:33 AM..

Old 04-30-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
the music scene is actually pretty good, many places have live entertainment. however I have found some pretty big differences in the venues. because it is largely an older population from all different parts of the country and world there are smaller niche places but overall I hear a lot of country music/ island style / classic rock. I could see more upscale areas having a jazz/ pop band Brew Babies in Cape Coral had something like that going on when I was there. Original music is always tough. Karaoke has a strong presence down there as well. As far as pay , the musicians aren't paid as much as up north.

If the music scene was my driving force I would look into Cambridge Massachusetts find an apartment in either Brighton or Allston
rrrreally.....

thanks for the help.

I see cambridge is next to boston, which has berklee. makes sense...

Old 04-30-2014, 02:02 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,331,247 times
https://www.facebook.com/events/701203876605909/?ref=22

Music festival next weekend. Gives an idea of the type of music that is popular.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:55 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,441,479 times
If looking to relocate for music, Austin has a nationally known music scene, with Denton, TX the second largest in Texas behind Austin. It ain't FL, but for music, there are lots of venues, opportunities.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:15 PM

Hmmm interesting, thanks for the post

Old 06-05-2014, 09:39 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
The band scene here is very tough. Both my Sons are musicians, one plays in a rock and roll band and the other Son plays only weddings and events. They both get a lot of work, but they have been doing it for over 25 years. Clubs and bars here do not want to pay any money, they prefer to hire a one man band if possible, or a DJ.

Also, when season ends things dry up. Not trying to discourage you, but these are simply the facts.

Don

Old 07-01-2014, 06:46 PM

67 posts, read 178,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
If looking to relocate for music, Austin has a nationally known music scene, with Denton, TX the second largest in Texas behind Austin. It ain't FL, but for music, there are lots of venues, opportunities.
This is no joke! My cousin is a good folk acoustic player and singer. He moved to Austin and works maintenance during the day at an apartment complex and makes decent money. But any given night of the week he takes his acoustic, two speakers and a powered mixer & microphone and plays at any number of small bars.
They don't pay him a dime, but his tip jar usually brings $200-$300 a NIGHT!
Not bad money doing it solo and in addition to his regular pay.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:20 PM

27 posts, read 39,494 times
There are quite a few working bands with regular gigs. They are mostly rock and play covers. Very few original artists here. I would say if anything this area is in dire need of more original music.

Fort myers does have a Music Walk once per month downtown. There are over 20 venues all with live music spilling out into the streets. This is one of my favorite nights. It is a way to hear new and original work. Fort Myers Music Walk - Downtown Fort Myers River District 33901

Old 07-14-2014, 06:30 AM

nnnnah.

Austin sounds awesome though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
View detailed profiles of: