Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 03:15 PM

60 posts, read 141,978 times

Advertisements

I don't know where to go for info on the reptilian residents, but there are a number of humane societies in Lee County. I bet they could give you complete info on ticks, Lyme, fleas and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 04:15 AM

319 posts, read 612,181 times
Default Ticks and Fleas

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I'd like to know if ticks are seasonal or year-round in your part of Florida. My understanding is that the mosquitoes and noseeums are a rainy season / summer issue. In general would you say you encounter more snakes and bugs in the summertime? One option I am considering is to live in Florida 10 months of the year and just spend July and August in the Finger Lakes up here in NY state.

I'm also interested in learning what kind of property would discourage / prevent fire ants, insects, snakes, etc. (my concern is for my dogs, they have to use the yard for potties.) Would limiting the amount of grass / bushes / trees help? I am strongly leaning toward no canal / pond / lake as it seems water provides a welcoming environment for the critters I am trying to avoid.
It is safe to assume here in SWFL fleas and ticks are year round.

In Northern Climates, they seek shelter from the cold, just like us. They can have long dormancy periods in between meals. Their eggs can survive even if they don't.

Cold weather helps break reproductive cycles and helps with population control.

We don't have cold weather. We have guys like me crawling around putting out bait or spraying shrubs, baseboards and undersides of furniture.

Good luck.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
For identification purposes heres a couple of informative sites
Florida Insects and Bugs

http://www.wildflorida.com/index.php

Old 10-09-2014, 07:42 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,838 times
Bugman's earlier post was very accurate......good advice
In SE CC we've had no problems at all.We have a bug service that sprays the perimeter of the house and nothing gets in alive.Once in a while a big ol' cockroach staggers in through an open door but he's on his way out already.
Bugman was also spot on about Diatemaceous Earth .....most people haven't even heard of it but it's awesome stuff.Totally safe...no chemicals.....our cats got fleas once and we just rubbed them down with it and they were gone in a few weeks.
Be careful with you ranimals,though,it's abrasive and must be kept away from their eyes

Old 10-11-2014, 06:26 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Yes to all your questions.

As for fleas and ticks, they can be a year long problem if you're not treating your yard, home and pet. It has to be all three areas treated...not just one. Don't forget heartworm....you want your dog on heartworm prevention all year long.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:13 PM

340 posts, read 664,706 times
OP, I hope you are not overlooking our warm and cuddly scorpions . I haven't spotted any in the house but have found them in a woodpile.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:56 AM

486 posts, read 996,733 times
Would you have a better chance of avoiding some critters if you lived in a high rise building on the higher floors as opposed to a 1st or 2nd floor condo? Just wondering if it makes any difference.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:11 PM

225 posts, read 493,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
If you live in Florida I am interested in learning about your experiences with the following:

1) Fire ants - have you had them on your property? Have you been bitten by a fire ant?

2) Lyme disease - do you personally know anyone who contracted it from a tick bite in Florida? (or any other tick-borne disease?)

3) If you have dogs - have fleas or ticks been a problem?

4) Spiders - have you personally encountered any widow or recluse spiders? How often do you find large spiders in your house?

5) Snakes - have you encountered a coral snake, cottonmouth, or rattlesnake? (Or a copperhead - not sure if they are found in your area.) How often do you see snakes of any kind on your property?

6) Noseeums & mosquitoes - do you currently have bites from these insects? Are they a regular nuisance in the summertime or fairly easy to avoid?

It would be helpful if you could include your general location with your answers.

Note: I have asked these types of questions in other forums. I am comparing responses from various areas.
1. Yes, Yes multiple times
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. No
6. No, They don't bother w/me at all
Cape Coral

Old 10-15-2014, 12:19 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Would you have a better chance of avoiding some critters if you lived in a high rise building on the higher floors as opposed to a 1st or 2nd floor condo? Just wondering if it makes any difference.
No, because you can still have spiders, roaches, fleas and/or ticks on the 2nd floor and up. Snakes maybe not so much.

When living in a multifamily dwelling, you want to make sure each unit is treated as well as the grounds. you might spray and keep your unit free and clear from fleas and roaches, but you neighbor might not......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area