Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 06:18 PM

45 posts, read 63,620 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are in the process of planning our move from NJ to Cape Coral next spring. You know the routine - clean out the basement, paint the house, downsize the belongings, etc. I'm currently working on the garage.

I've always had a workshop in my garage but I am wondering if this is viable in Florida? I have several machine tools with cast iron surfaces: table saw, drill press, metal lathe and tons of accessories. With the higher humidity, is this just a rust bucket waiting to happen or will I be ok? It's sure gonna hurt if I have to sell these toys.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 07:42 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times
I don't see a problem with rust but it will be hot in the garage. You will need a couple of fans at least. I wonder how your neighbors will react to the noise.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:52 PM

It's just a hobby workshop, not commercial. Very little noise - current neighbors don't hear it.

Thanks for the response.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:02 AM

964 posts, read 2,064,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun-Dog View Post
It's just a hobby workshop, not commercial. Very little noise - current neighbors don't hear it.

Thanks for the response.
I just asked my husband - he states that storing all that cast iron in a Cape Coral garage is a rust machine waiting to happen. He has built a really nice workshop in our garage, but it's a constant struggle to keep rust at bay by oiling the surfaces. I'd be interested to hear if others have another working solution to this.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:58 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,849 times
I don't know about the metal lathe, and it's accessories. But my table saw, band saw, and scores of other smaller hand tools and various equipment haven't suffered in years. Frequency of use of those items has a bit to do with it as well.

CN.......

Old 08-20-2014, 07:10 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,838 times
I installed a dehumidifier with the hose outside so it runs when needed.....no rust and I leave it on all year.
Also had one of those see through electric,retractable screen doors.You can see out but no one can see in.Floods the garage with natural light and makes it more enjoyable to do laundry or work at your bench.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:46 AM

55 posts, read 85,711 times
I had a pole barn built this year for my workshop and will split it for a studio for the wife. My plans are for an ac unit ($3100) and dehumifier($250). Got to get the moisture out of the air. The tools are too expensive. I an also planning on installing a solar vent fan ($225)to move air thru the building.

With these items, the barn went 91' with the doors and windows shut. With everything opened and a box fan, I dropped the temps over 10's but the humidity was at 90 %. Need to get that moisture out.

Good Luck.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:06 PM

Hmmm . . . With all the tools you guys have, I may not have to bring mine.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:24 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
I don't know about the metal lathe, and it's accessories. But my table saw, band saw, and scores of other smaller hand tools and various equipment haven't suffered in years. Frequency of use of those items has a bit to do with it as well.

CN.......
Ditto CN's comment.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:18 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
We have a shop where my Sons and I build hot rods and it is a constant battle to keep things from rusting. We spray everything with 656 to keep the rust down, and it works pretty well. The heat in the garage will be another issue, it was 97 in our shop the past few weeks and the humidity is off the chart. My Son just called me from there and he is fried from the heat.

A lot will depend on the kind of neighbors you have and how much noise you make. I used to build my cars in my home garage and had the cops at my door fairly often because my neighbors would call them. That is why we moved into a commercial shop 15 years ago or so and can make all the noise and work as late as we want.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area