Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 10:13 AM

964 posts, read 2,063,506 times

Advertisements

Curious - we've received an estimate for the Halo system. Do any of you use water treatment and, if so, which type? What are your experiences with it?

Geri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 02:08 PM

45 posts, read 118,337 times
Bear this in mind:
Utilities Water Production Common Questions

1. Do I need a water softener if I am on City water? No, because city water is not hard water.

6. We notice a slight chemical taste in the City's water. Can you tell us what this is?
Where we used to live we had spring water and it was great drinking water. The slight chemical taste that you may notice is probably chlorine. Although chlorine addition is essential to ensure the safety of your drinking water, it can affect the taste of the water. If the community you came from had a higher mineral or contaminant content in the water, it masked or hid the taste of chlorine in your water. This is why our water tastes a little different. You may wish to remove the chlorine by purchasing an inexpensive activated charcoal filter, which you can install on your kitchen sink.

5. Does Cape Coral add fluoride to the city water supply?
No, we do not add fluoride to our water because fluoride already exists naturally in our groundwater. The RO treatment process used by the City reduces the amount of natural fluoride to a level of 0.62 ppm at your tap. Fluoride at this level will provide some protection from cavities.

--------
The public water is clean but it does have a bad taste to me too. I use a $200.00 a year replaceable filter that works fine and lasts for a couple of years before I get any taste. It also removes heavy metals and other contaminants. The Halo looks to e a bigger version of the same thing that you pay for all at once instead of as you go. I voted for as you go.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:22 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,329,558 times
I use an under sink water purifier.
WHEMB40 Water Purifier - Whirlpool Water Treatment

I did not use the spout it comes with. I hooked it up to my refrigerator water/ice dispenser. The water tastes much better than tap water. We don't use bottled water anymore.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:03 AM

Thanks, All. I now realize I wasn't specific. We use a PUR dispenser filter today for drinking. The plumbers from whom we received an estimate recommended the Halo system to keep the new pipes from crudding up once we have the house repiped. For example, our water heater is full of crap from the water and the existing piping is quite corroded. This company is very reliable, so I was looking for some verification here on the water quality in conjunction with pipe maintenance.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:37 PM

If your repipe was done with CPVC there should be no problem with corrosion or scale build up. the whole house purificaction may help with faucets and laundry.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
If your repipe was done with CPVC there should be no problem with corrosion or scale build up. the whole house purificaction may help with faucets and laundry.
So, do you think it's an unnecessary upsell, Riko? WE're F/T here now, so want to do the right thing when we do repipe....

Old 12-01-2014, 08:02 PM

My opinion is to use the CPVC pipe. It should be cheaper than copper and will last longer. My wife complains about the water for doing laundry and my new shower faucet insides had to be replaced in two years. If those sort of things make it worth it for you to get the system then go for it. It's not enough for me to do it. Do you have to lug bags of salt with that system? I would hate that. If you were on well water that would be a different story.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
My opinion is to use the CPVC pipe. It should be cheaper than copper and will last longer. My wife complains about the water for doing laundry and my new shower faucet insides had to be replaced in two years. If those sort of things make it worth it for you to get the system then go for it. It's not enough for me to do it. Do you have to lug bags of salt with that system? I would hate that. If you were on well water that would be a different story.
Thanks, Riko. The plan is to use PVC, yes. No salt...the Halo system mechanism is by filters that are backflushed periodically. Supposed to last for 20 years. We were on well water in PA - best tasting water ever, but our laundry suffered up there more than here.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:05 AM

Some water purification systems waste a lot of water. That is something to check out.

"Reverse osmosis systems waste some water. Two to four gallons of “waste” water are flushed down
the drain for each gallon of filtered water produced. "

Read more: The Top 10 Methods to Treat Your Water | Ask The Water Doctor
The Top 10 Methods to Treat Your Water | Ask The Water Doctor

Old 12-07-2014, 07:35 AM

319 posts, read 611,897 times
HALO is an R/O system for the whole house.

It combines the softener and filtration.

You need to look at the cost of a softener plus R/O for a good comparison

I like the concept of the HALO there are long term benefits, soaps and detergents are more effective with less product.

The water is "safer"

But what is the life span and the maintenance?

At the cost, will insurance cover a lighting strike?

How serviceable are the electronics?

I have a basic softener with whole house carbon filter and R/O under the sink that feed the ice maker and drinking water.

My annual cost of ownership is about 210 if I replace the R/O filters every year, plus a bag of salt every month.

The hole house filter will need to be replace at 10 years, if I do like for like, that should be $700 installed.

But after reading the HALO, I will consider it when the time comes.

My 2 pennies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
View detailed profiles of: