Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,629 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm moving to the Cape and am looking for a house. I have found one I love in the burnt store NW area, but it has septic and well water. I know the assessments are coming in a year or two when we are forced to go to city, but my main concern if before then. Is well water yucky? Can we drink it? Will my kids grow a third arm showering in it? and how about this septic? Any tips and advice is appreciated! Run or buy??? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 09:01 PM

52 posts, read 58,927 times
I have lived in Cape Coral for my entire month. I grew up on city water with no complaints. I remember my grandmothers house was on well and just smelt different. I currently live at a house on well and septic. I like it because I don't have another water and sewer bill every month. I didn't grow any extra arms yet My water doesn't stink like hers did but you can smell the water if you use alot and the tank gets refilled. I try to keep my holding tank clean and salt in my water softener. If you have any concerns do a water quality check during your inspection. I use a brita water pitcher anyways when drinking the water but will drink from tap with no concerns.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:14 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,856,660 times
If you're concerned,use bottled water for drinking...it's cheap enough ,and well water for everything else.Septic is no problem as long as you don't have 5 teen daughters taking 30 minute showers every day.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:25 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,060,381 times
I had a RO under sink system for cooking, drinking, making coffee etc was $400 this is on top of the regular salt filtration system which is good for laundry, showering and such Keeping the holding tank aka aerator clean will keep most in check

Old 07-21-2015, 09:38 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,821,156 times
Does anyone know why SWFL well water stinks so badly? I'm just curious. I had no idea that well water was so delicious until I stayed in the mountains of Western NC. Now I'm in a rural area of SC on top of a mountain and the well water is clean and refreshing. My hair is soft and silky too. I'm not knocking Florida (really) but I saw this thread and I was wondering if it matters where the water comes from and why it smells like rotten eggs in areas like NW Port Charlotte, North Port and Cape Coral. I'm guessing it's the water's source.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:50 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,821,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconuthut View Post
Hi! I'm moving to the Cape and am looking for a house. I have found one I love in the burnt store NW area, but it has septic and well water. I know the assessments are coming in a year or two when we are forced to go to city, but my main concern if before then. Is well water yucky? Can we drink it? Will my kids grow a third arm showering in it? and how about this septic? Any tips and advice is appreciated! Run or buy??? Thanks!
Septic systems are fine as long as you realize that you can't toss everything down the toilet. Even when people are on a public sewer system, they abuse it. I recently told someone not to flush dental floss down the toilet and she looked puzzled. All those tushy wipes are causing a real mess too. So if you flush down pee, poop and toilet tissue, the stuff that's supposed to go down, you'll be just fine. When you buy the house, get the septic tank inspected. Normally a homeowner should pump the septic every 4 or 5 years, depending on the usage.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:59 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,060,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Does anyone know why SWFL well water stinks so badly? I'm just curious. I had no idea that well water was so delicious until I stayed in the mountains of Western NC. Now I'm in a rural area of SC on top of a mountain and the well water is clean and refreshing. My hair is soft and silky too. I'm not knocking Florida (really) but I saw this thread and I was wondering if it matters where the water comes from and why it smells like rotten eggs in areas like NW Port Charlotte, North Port and Cape Coral. I'm guessing it's the water's source.
Sulfur causes the rotten egg smell. the aerator is suppose to help reduce sulfer but it is also suppose to be cleaned (no one does) if you add chlorine tablets in a basket it will help reduce the sulfur. Which is why I use a reverse osmosis under sink (to remove chlorine) giving a person decent drinking water. the water in other states that taste good is due to other elements in the water which give it certain flavor. up north NH and ME the water can be excellent or very high in Iron.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:39 AM

14,798 posts, read 11,938,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
If you're concerned,use bottled water for drinking...it's cheap enough ,and well water for everything else.Septic is no problem as long as you don't have 5 teen daughters taking 30 minute showers every day.
And flushing lots of used paper products as well.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:13 AM

14,798 posts, read 11,938,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
Sulfur causes the rotten egg smell. the aerator is suppose to help reduce sulfer but it is also suppose to be cleaned (no one does) if you add chlorine tablets in a basket it will help reduce the sulfur. Which is why I use a reverse osmosis under sink (to remove chlorine) giving a person decent drinking water. the water in other states that taste good is due to other elements in the water which give it certain flavor. up north NH and ME the water can be excellent or very high in Iron.
;

We have a well system similar to the one you describe, with the water coming from a 200 feet deep artesian well, and the water right from the ground does have a fairly strong sulfur smell. The water is sprayed through small holes in the pipes in the aerator, (hence the "aeration" ) into the aerator tank, this is the process that removes the dissolved sulfur dioxide gases in the water that give it that sulfur smell. We find it does a good job of that.

The reason folks may add chlorine tabs to the aerator is to combat the growth of mold, mildew and/or algae inside the tank- from standing water, high heat, humidity and so on. We were doing that too till we had a company recommended to us for troubleshooting, maintenance and repairs as needed for our water system. Now, for the grand total of $37.50 a month they drain and clean out the aerator monthly, check all the lines, valves, relays, and put 120 lbs of salt into the water softener. We figure it's well worth it.

We recently learned something else about the water system. Over the past few months we had had the water go out suddenly a couple times. It seemed to involve either the well pump relay into the aerator, or the relay to the house water pump. The first time (on a Friday evening, of coursd), the guy who does the well maintenance helped (via telephone) troubleshoot the problem, and they determined it was ants making a pathway through the relay and interrupting the circuit. It was easy enough to clear those out and get the relay going again. A couple weeks later it was ants taking up residence in the relay to the well pump, and this time my husband cleared that out. I've been informed by other well owners that this is a pretty common problem, especially in FL during the rainy season. It's easy enough to spray around the area to keep the well plumbing ant-free, though, and so far so good for us.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:05 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,622,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconuthut View Post
I can guarantee that they won't grow a third arm from the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area