Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 12:51 PM

63 posts, read 100,718 times

Advertisements

How are you supposed to know how much to insure your home for? I have no idea how much it costs to rebuild a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 03:09 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
The insurance companies have a system, based on Marshall and Swift Building Cost Guides. Talk with your insurance company.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:11 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
BTW, on most policies, if you insure for, say, 80% of what they say it will cost you to rebuild, that 80% of whatever it costs is all they will pay. You are pretty much at their mercy, especially given the nature of homeowners policies in Florida

Old 07-27-2015, 03:44 PM

10 posts, read 12,730 times
This is a very interesting topic, and I would love to hear more about how home insurance is different from the rest of the country. Is it that much more expensive? What is a ballpark cost for a home around 200k?
Is hurricane insurance seperate?
Flood insurance? How much do these cost?
Termite insurance? Is that a thing?
Just trying to figure out the total cost to insure, ballpark,
Are we talking 2k, 5k.....more?

Old 07-27-2015, 06:30 PM

230 posts, read 343,359 times
How expensive homeowners insurance is varies on a number of factors including but not limited to:

1. Your credit
2. Your claims/loss history
3. How close you are to a fire dept.
4. How close to the coast you are
5. Coverages and endorsements selected
6. Reconstruction cost/features/materials of home
7. Age of home
8. How high risk area is (weather, crime etc.)

When you get an insurance quote your agent will calculate the reconstruction cost. He should be asking detailed questions about things like building materials and rooms that are in the home. If he is not I would be careful as if you are short changed on reconstruction cost you will be not be able to rebuild to an extent that would satisfy you in the worst case scenario. Also many mortgage companies will not accept coverage that provides for less than 100% reconstruction cost.

Flood insurance is a separate insurance policy written through FEMA's National Flood insurance program your agent can do that if he has a flood license. There is no such thing as an "insert company name here" flood policy. It will be probably be expensive in Florida depending on how close to coast you are and the type of home you have.

Companies that write in coastal states typically offer hurricane dmg coverage with a deductible that is seperate from your typical "all perils" deductible that meant for basic stuff like fire.

Consider having a water backup endorsement added to your homeowners policy. Provides coverage for losses you incur from sewer and drain water backup which is not covered by basic water dmg coverage that comes with every homeowners policy. I'd say probably 90% of the population is completely clueless about this and some lives have been ruined as a result.

Infestation should be covered on a homeowners policy might be different in FL I don't know.

Call an insurance company and ask questions don't wing it and hope for the best. This is the most important non human thing in your life if you don't educate yourself and get burned you have no one to blame but yourself.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:34 PM

Wow, that was one hell of a detailed response

Old 07-27-2015, 07:19 PM

But, ballpark.....any idea what a 200k house would cost to insure?

Old 07-28-2015, 11:53 AM

230 posts, read 343,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermcg View Post
Serious question.....did you even bother to read my post or do you just want to be spoon fed a simple answer to a complex issue? There are to many variables to consider and what you paid for your house has almost nothing to do with what your premium would be.

Last edited by Juice Malone; 07-28-2015 at 12:02 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 12:38 PM

Yes I did read your post, and I thank you for your response.
I'm only trying to figure out what to expect, and what to look for when home shopping.
Thank you

Old 07-28-2015, 01:55 PM

225 posts, read 493,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermcg View Post
Anywhere in between 400 and 4,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area