Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 5,916 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I need a little help here, I have a potential job offer to work in Fort Myers for a rather large fortune 100 company. I should be making mid to high 80's on low end income wise. I have done some research and found this information:

Bad Zip Codes

Pine Manor, MLK blvd, Ortiz & Palm Beach Boulevard west of the 75.

Good:

Sanibel or Bonita Springs

Where is a good area to live? From my research it does seem Bonita Springs and Cape Coral are the safest. I've done research on various crime sites stating Fort Myers has a higher crime rate than the city of DETROIT! I'm a single male in his 30's with no kids.

It seems MLK is the unsafe area in all cities.

Any feedback would help my decision! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 02:17 PM

390 posts, read 635,200 times
Cape Coral and Bonita are nice. Estero might be a better choice or near the Gulf Coast town center. The commute from bonita would be a monster unless your job is is in south fort myers. Sanibel too during the tourist season.

And yeah, there are low crime areas of fort myers, but everywhere in the city is too close to a ghetto for my taste. It's a pretty rough town.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:16 AM

Once I get an offer, I will have to fly down and feel out the areas. My definition of ghetto and crime living by Detroit may be way different than what other's call ghetto.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:45 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,363,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhil1981 View Post
Once I get an offer, I will have to fly down and feel out the areas. My definition of ghetto and crime living by Detroit may be way different than what other's call ghetto.
Be aware that what is referred to as Fort Myers is a much larger area and population than the city itself which is where all of the crime is for the most part and where those horrible stats are generated. The city itself is only about 65,000 people in a fairly small geographic area. Most of the rough parts of town are north of Colonial and are like a bad neighborhood in a big city (I am from Chicago and like you, do not freak out over bad neighborhoods - just avoid them). So those stats are reflective of the bad neighborhood and not the much larger area that has a Fort Myers address, and so are very misleading for the entire area outside of the bad neighborhood. It's like saying Novi must suck because it is part of "Detroit".

Much of the area south of Colonial that have Fort Myers addresses are not within the city. The areas that are within the city limits south of Colonial can be quite nice and high end (areas along Treeline and Six Mile Cypress) and there is significant new construction going on. The entire Daniels Corridor is outside of the city but has Fort Myers addresses, but is very nice and some places have homes into seven figures. Certainly not a ghetto.

I was almost scared off of "Fort Myers" by the crime stats until I took a deep dive. I didn't realize the city was so small given that the area people refer to as Fort Myers is so large. If you were to compile the crime stats using the entire area that has a Fort Myers address rather than just the population within the city limits, you would get a much different story and a far more normal looking area that has some bad neighborhoods, but which is mostly quite nice.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:32 PM

52 posts, read 59,404 times
The entire area is not bad at all, is there crime sure but I don't lock my doors when I drive or fear getting mugged. Estero is a nice up and coming area with lost of food and shopping as close to beaches. Cape Coral is a good value if you are looking to buy. Best thing to do is come check it out in person and see where you would enjoy living. Ive been to Detroit many times and its not anywhere near that city. The police and sheriff departments here do a good job to curb crime but like any city there will always people who don't follow the laws. Best part is no snow down here and GO LIONS!

Old 08-08-2015, 09:54 AM

That's how I feel about the situation. It's like comparing Novi/West Bloomfield to Detroit and saying "Metro Detroit" is ghetto. I know just from experience in any city to stay away from MLK streets haha. I would be working in the Fort Myers area but most likely will live in Cape Coral from my research and feedback I have received, a wrench was thrown in with a possible offer from a job in San Antonio that I have to consider now.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:56 AM

I think my definition of Ghetto living in Detroit metro area for past 13 years (Originally from Toledo area which again is more ghetto than most cities) is jaded. I was in Downtown Detroit last night walking around at 2 a.m. in some sketchy areas and didn't have a problem; generally people won't do anything if you aren't a knucklehead. I will fly in and take a few days and drive around all parts of the city and see how I feel; it surely won't be like Inkster,Detroit,Oak Park,Downtown Toledo so I won't feel too unsafe.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:47 PM

163 posts, read 208,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSnow4me View Post
Cape Coral and Bonita are nice. Estero might be a better choice or near the Gulf Coast town center. The commute from bonita would be a monster unless your job is is in south fort myers. Sanibel too during the tourist season.

And yeah, there are low crime areas of fort myers, but everywhere in the city is too close to a ghetto for my taste. It's a pretty rough town.
thats just silly. san carlos is good. most anywhere on gladiolus is good. mcgregor is nice. lots of nice areas in south ft myers

Old 10-07-2015, 06:20 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhil1981 View Post

Exactly, I get the impression that some one here consider a neighbor who is a minority as a ghetto area. I grew up near Newark, NJ in a mixed neighborhood so i think many here are exaggerating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area