Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 12:33 PM

390 posts, read 635,200 times

Advertisements

I can't find it now, but someone said on a thread here some time ago that jet boats aren't very suitable for the local waters. I was wondering if anyone has some insight if that's true and why.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 03:12 PM

549 posts, read 722,733 times
There's only a few things worse than a boat. Those are a Jet boat or a Jet Ski, a bad marriage, malaria and measles.

If you want to throw money away, just buy a regular boat. It'll be easier to unload in two years.

I'm not trying to be a smart a## but having lives in SW Fla my entire life and being on or around the water that's my belief.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:13 PM

Oh, good luck on your choice. I'm sure others will chime in and give you better advice.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:35 PM

158 posts, read 381,676 times
Thumbs up Get a Yamaha

Why is a jet boat not good for these waters? A jet boat doesn't have prop or transmission to worry about and it can go over shallow water that most boats can't manage. I have a Yamaha 24' jet boat and haven't had any problems due to being a jet boat.

No boat is perfect for all conditions so the decision to buy any type of boat should depend on what you will be using it for. Jet boats aren't that good for fishing or for going far offshore but they are fine in the river, bays and lakes. The Yamaha jet boat is the one of best selling boats in the US and has a reputation for being well-built and holding its value--much more so than most other boats.

Personally, I can't see living in Florida without a boat--boating is one of the main attractions of living here.

Last edited by xoomer; 10-20-2015 at 03:54 PM..

Old 10-21-2015, 06:43 AM

45 posts, read 63,653 times
I researched jet boats extensively a little while ago. As xoomer said, great for inshore, smooth and shallow water but not suitable for offshore as they do not handle waves and chop very well. The biggest issue / complaint I see is that they are not easily maneuverable at slow speed. The speed limit in all the canals is 5 - 6 mph. I ended up up buying a conventional deck boat with an outboard.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:48 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
There's only a few things worse than a boat. Those are a Jet boat or a Jet Ski, a bad marriage, malaria and measles.

If you want to throw money away, just buy a regular boat. It'll be easier to unload in two years.

I'm not trying to be a smart a## but having lives in SW Fla my entire life and being on or around the water that's my belief.
Sounds like you're really having a ball enjoying Florida
I'd go for a jet boat in a minute...lots of fun and perfect for these waters.You see jet ski's everywhere and they don't have many problems.
Can't imagine not having a boat with all the wonderful places to explore.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:36 AM

158 posts, read 381,676 times
Thumbs up Cobra Fins & Thrust Vectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun-Dog View Post
I researched jet boats extensively a little while ago. As xoomer said, great for inshore, smooth and shallow water but not suitable for offshore as they do not handle waves and chop very well. The biggest issue / complaint I see is that they are not easily maneuverable at slow speed. The speed limit in all the canals is 5 - 6 mph. I ended up up buying a conventional deck boat with an outboard.
It's true that at slow speeds the jet boats can be a chore to maneuver; however, you can install fins (Cobra Fins or Thrust Vectors) on the jet nozzles that will greatly improve slow speed performance. On older Yamaha jet boats it was easier to maneuver using the two throttles at slow speeds instead of the steering wheel.

Once you get up and moving nothing maneuvers like a jet boat. You can turn on a dime even at high speed since the jets are sucking in a lot of water--keeping the boat "glued" to the water to a certain extent.

I wouldn't use my Yamaha to go offshore alone but there is a trip once a year from a group of jet boat owners who go to Bimini for a week from Miami--and I'm sure there are other similar offshore group trips.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Sounds like you're really having a ball enjoying Florida
I'd go for a jet boat in a minute...lots of fun and perfect for these waters.You see jet ski's everywhere and they don't have many problems.
Can't imagine not having a boat with all the wonderful places to explore.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound so bitter. I've owned jet skis, motor boats and sail boats. Admittedly I've never owned a Jet Boat but have known many who have and they don't have much positive things to say about them.

For exploring this area by water I would recommend a dagger board / retractable keel smaller sailboat with a small outboard or even a kayak. Simple is easy and reliable.

After I re-read my post, I did come off a bit like an a$$. My apologies.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:38 PM

964 posts, read 2,064,391 times
We have a jet boat and love it. You've GOT to be careful in shallow water down here, though, because of the grasses in the water. We've had to get towed more than once due to the jets sucking the grasses into the impeller. Now hubby jumps out with a mask and grumpy attitude and can generally declog it. Can beat the boat for speed and nimbleness. We take it to Cayo Costa and Cabbage Key all the time.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:04 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound so bitter. I've owned jet skis, motor boats and sail boats. Admittedly I've never owned a Jet Boat but have known many who have and they don't have much positive things to say about them.

For exploring this area by water I would recommend a dagger board / retractable keel smaller sailboat with a small outboard or even a kayak. Simple is easy and reliable.

After I re-read my post, I did come off a bit like an a$$. My apologies.
No apology needed....many of us,myself included, have made posts that didn't come off exactly as we meant.Actually,I've never owned a jet boat but love my jet ski's because you can go just about anywhere and not worry about a prop.True,they aren't good in choppy water but other than that...lots of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area