Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 08:50 AM

77 posts, read 73,037 times

Advertisements

I posted a few questions about a possible move to Ft. Myers in a previous thread. However, the thread got a little off topic and moved on to other discussions.

I'm very aware and educated on the school choice situation and the parts of Ft. Myers that are bad. Therefore, I don't need comments about why we shouldn't move there.....It may happen regardless. And I really feel here are plenty of areas in and around Ft. Myers that are very nice. So, that being said, are there any areas that you would recommend to a family with 3 young children (elementary age)?

I would like to avoid them going to a bad school, but I know they could be placed anywhere in their zone. Therefore, I thought I needed to look at Cape Coral, because most all schools in that zone seem to be good. However, I'm not sure about being on the other side of the bridge when my husband would have to drive to Ft. Myers for work....he would be near downtown Ft. Myers. Any thoughts on traffic, time to get to work, etc.?

Also, is there any part of Ft. Myers that we could live where we wouldn't have to worry about our kids ending up in a bad school? I know some of the south part of ft. myers is nice...that would be subzone 3 for schools. However, if we are in subzone 3, I know that my kids could get put in a subzone 2 or 3 school...and some of those are not good.....

Any thoughts?

Also, we have a dog...a boxer...but she is old and very, very calm.....any ideas of houses, etc. that would rent to us with a dog? A community or private pool would be nice too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 11:51 PM

544 posts, read 1,439,322 times
I drove over to downtown Ft. Myers via Hancock Bridge Pkwy. Leaving at 8:20 got me downtown early enough every day to get my Starbucks and go to work upstairs. Hope that helps. There's no tolls that way either. Stay away from Midpoint if at all possible that time of day.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:52 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
People exaggerate on how bad it is, if you are a gang banger or a thug you have problems, but it's isolated, I lived next to Newark, NJ for years and was fine in an urban area. If you grew up in Montana and never met a black person I could see the fear, but mostly it's unjustified to label Fort Myers as a warzone.

I wouldn't live in Dunbar because I don't have to, but other areas are not bad, The cheapest area with the better schools would be Pine Manor around the Page field area. I saw a home there and most schools were averaging 7 or 8 rating as opposed to the areas with 2 and 3. But I did read that they may send your kid to another school so look into that first. North Fort Myers might be better too, passed over the bridge just yesterday looking at homes, it's not bad, it's a 3 mile free bridge that seemed to flow fine but that was midday,

Old 10-31-2015, 06:20 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
People exaggerate on how bad it is, if you are a gang banger or a thug you have problems, but it's isolated, I lived next to Newark, NJ for years and was fine in an urban area. If you grew up in Montana and never met a black person I could see the fear, but mostly it's unjustified to label Fort Myers as a warzone.

I wouldn't live in Dunbar because I don't have to, but other areas are not bad, The cheapest area with the better schools would be Pine Manor around the Page field area. I saw a home there and most schools were averaging 7 or 8 rating as opposed to the areas with 2 and 3. But I did read that they may send your kid to another school so look into that first. North Fort Myers might be better too, passed over the bridge just yesterday looking at homes, it's not bad, it's a 3 mile free bridge that seemed to flow fine but that was midday,
So954-

You live in Broward County and have no idea what it's like here in Lee County.

You say you wont' live in Dunbar, but that's where you're looking for houses. Pine Minor is also call Crime Manor for a reason...it's just as bad a Dunbar, Harlem Heights, Sable Palm, Tice and other little pockets of hood.

Fort Myers is a mini warzone....there are shootings/killings here on a daily basis. Are they happening in my upper middle class neighborhood? Of course not. They are happening in the hoods and ghettos of Lee County. The very same areas you keep looking to buy a home.

As for NFM...Scum-Coast should be avoided at all costs. There are very few nice middle class and upper middle class areas in NFM. The sad part is these nicer, newer neighborhoods are surrounded by older lower income rundown areas.

OP: Do your homework. If you're that concerned about the schools your kids are going to then you need to find the school and then find the home. School Choice is a crapshoot...you'd be better off putting them in a private school until you've had a chance to really learn the area.

Cape Coral isn't 'bad', it's not great, but it's not bad. The bad thing about the Cape is that crime happens all over the city...not just in pockets. As for commute...it would all depend on where in the Cape you were and what time he had to be downtown. You said 'near' downtown...how near to downtown Fort Myers is he going to be? Right downtown, on the river? Outside of downtown off Palm Beach? Off McGregor?

How much research have you done looking for a home? Have you made any calls to anyone down here? Have you been looking on Craigslist and real estate websites?

And I can't stress this enough...do not come down here unless you have a job already lined up.

Good luck and again...come back and ask questions about the areas you're looking into, but don't listen to those who don't live here.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
So954-

.it's just as bad a Dunbar, Harlem Heights, Sable Palm, Tice and other little pockets of hood.

You seem very angry, I hope you find peace, anyway I was told Harlem Heights is a nice area and out of my price range, maybe you are making things up and when you think Harlem you think African American.

I already found a home I like but it was a HUD home and the inspection could not proceed due to a previously undisclosed water pressure issue. I have now found a new smaller home in a nice quiet street with all homes and no apartments nearby and am going to make an offer this week.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
You seem very angry, I hope you find peace, anyway I was told Harlem Heights is a nice area and out of my price range, maybe you are making things up and when you think Harlem you think African American.

I already found a home I like but it was a HUD home and the inspection could not proceed due to a previously undisclosed water pressure issue. I have now found a new smaller home in a nice quiet street with all homes and no apartments nearby and am going to make an offer this week.
Harlem Heights is smack dab in the middle of gated communities down by Health Park...did you visit the area on your recent trip?? It's not hard to find...it's right on Gladiolus Drive...right where the food pantry is. Based on the areas you're looking into you could afford HH, but you couldn't afford anything in the gated areas.

You have no idea what I'm thinking nor do you have idea what my race is or isn't. This isn't about race yet you have brought up race more than once. Why? Not once did color/race/creed or sexual orientation come out of my mouth.

Glad you found a home...I really hope you did your research on the area and didn't listen to your real estate agent.

PS: I'm not angry, but it does tick me off when out of towners think they know more about the area than locals an spew nothing but untruths to the clueless newbies moving here.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

PS: I'm not angry, but it does tick me off when out of towners think they know more about the area than locals an spew nothing but untruths to the clueless newbies moving here.
Sounds like you are trying to scare away good people from moving in which is what Fort Myers needs. Steering them of a specific bad area is fine, telling them the whole city is a warzone is a disservice.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:34 AM

Not scaring anyone away...just telling them the truth. The truth you know nothing about and the truth real estate agents can't share.

Why would you suggest she move her family to Pine Manor?? Having her kids in a good school is important but I don't living in a drug infest mini war zone is the answer she's looking for.

I never said Fort Myers was a war zone. I said it was a mini warzone limited to the pockets of hood and ghetto. As long as she knows the pockets to avoid, she'll be fine. Why you're promoting these pockets is beyond me.

OP: Stay south of Colonial from I75 to McGregor. The river side of McGregor is nice, the other side is shady in spots (generally from Colonial north to downtown) S McGregor does have nice communities. But, Tanglewood does butt up to public housing. Which reminds me....anything that's between Summerlin Road and US41 south to Cypress Lake is to be avoided. This includes Pine Manor that So is suggesting you move to for the schools.

Be careful if looking at areas around Health Park...they do have some nice communities, but Harlem Heights, a low income/high crime area is smack dab in the middle of this area. San Carlos Park is south on 41...another place to avoid. One drive through the area will tell you all you need to know

There are really nice places in this area to raise your family....you just need to know where you avoid.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:55 PM

Well, I see my new post has turned into people arguing back and forth....yet again. .

So954 and Meekocat,
Thank you for the advice. It is helpful.

Kim in Fl......Yes, I've done my research. And if we move, it will be because my husband got a job there. We should know more after this week. But, if he gets it, it will pay more than he makes here. And it's with a stable company. And I have a possibility of getting a job in the schools. I have many years of experience as a teacher and school counselor. So, we are smart, realistic, responsible people with 3 kids....we wouldn't move there without jobs. I've heard the negativity and I've done my research. At this point, I don't want to know if I should move there....we can figure that out. I just wanted advice on commute, neighborhoods, etc.

Anyhow, if my husband gets the job, he will be working near Page Park. I'm not sure which office location he will be at but both are near there. Thanks for your help!

Old 10-31-2015, 12:58 PM

Meekocat,
So, you live in Cape Coral? Do you like it there? Do you have young children? I'm wondering if it would be a good place for them....kid friendly, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area