U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:43 PM

1,023 posts, read 3,058,828 times

Advertisements

I posted earlier, but didn't get many replies. We have to decide on Ft Myers or NP for our relocation. My husband will be working in Ft Myers, but we like the size, cost and land you get in a home in NP. Our family lives in NP, which would be fantastic with kids etc. However, the commute would be 45 miles each way for my husband.

We haven't heard great things about the Ft Myers area, and we went down last weekend to check it out. I didn't like most of what I saw. I did see a home in North Ft Myers...but most of what we saw off McGregor was poopy. We still have a small home to view in Tanglewood, and one in Whisky Creek. Anyone know anything about Calusa Park, Venetian Village and those areas? We need to be able to have a fence for our dogs.

We are a young couple, and also want a nice, safe area. We love boating, fishing, and beach.

Does anyone have good advise on the area, or really like it...and can share why?

I guess you can tell me if you really hate it too! We are torn, and are a little gunshy, as we don't love where we live now, and are afraid of making the wrong decision. I know everyone will have different opinions, so I'm really looking for insight from those of you who live there, or have lived there.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:49 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,647,127 times
Please tell me you are looking at rental properties in Ft Myers!!! There is 44 months of inventory in Ft Myers.

Since no children are in the picture & family is a reasonable drive, I don't think you have much to lose by initially being in Ft Myers.

The commute could get to be a drag on your dh & the cost/wear/tear on his vehicle alone might be too much.

My husband worked in Ft Myers but we lived in Punta Gorda after hearing too many bad things & moving there with a young child.

On the flip side, PG is not necessarily an area for younger people & I felt like we never fit in b/c we were not retirees, snowbirds, or from NJ.

IMO, rent in Ft Myers. See how the job goes. See if you can tolerate and/or enjoy the area. It is a different sort of place. Have to experience it to understand.

If you guys don't care for it, you've lost nothing. You like things that the area offers & are use to the heat/humidity.

You are lucky...you'll have family nearby no matter where you decide to live.

It's a whole different story if you have children & live there. If that was the case, commute issue would not be an issue & I'd recommend NP.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:57 PM

10,739 posts, read 32,610,356 times
I have a friend who used to live in the country club that is on the right just before the outlets that are on the way out to the bridge to Sanibel. It was a very nice area.

I personally wouldn't move anywhere and buy right off, I think renting is a good idea so you can get the lay of the land.

I do remember when we visited Sanibel that its pretty quiet out there, which is nice compared with the crime we have here in Orlando. I was there a whole week and not one person was killed or found dead in all that time, at least not that was reported on the news. I was kind of shocked.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:46 AM

128 posts, read 597,853 times
I am so tired of people bad mouthing Fort Myers. It's just like any other city, yes there is crime but no worse then any other place. I have lived here over 30 years and yes it has gone up (crime) but we have also doubled in size in a short amount of time and with that comes all the bad. As other posters have stated it is a different kind of town and you just have to find out where you fit in. The area you are speaking of (Whiskey Creek, Tanglewood) used to be the nicest areas in Ft. Myers then came develoment. They are still very quiet neighborhoods with nice homes but as others have said you may want to rent because I don't think the prices have bottomed out yet either. I personally don't care for NP, just nothing there and I would never want to commute that far, traffic can be a bear and the cost of gas I don't think so. At least your husband has a job before coming down here that is a real plus. As long as you stay south of Page Field you will find a nice place to live and plenty of places to go out to eat on the money you'll save on gas.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner69 View Post
I am so tired of people bad mouthing Fort Myers. It's just like any other city, yes there is crime but no worse then any other place. I have lived here over 30 years and yes it has gone up (crime) but we have also doubled in size in a short amount of time and with that comes all the bad. As other posters have stated it is a different kind of town and you just have to find out where you fit in. The area you are speaking of (Whiskey Creek, Tanglewood) used to be the nicest areas in Ft. Myers then came develoment. They are still very quiet neighborhoods with nice homes but as others have said you may want to rent because I don't think the prices have bottomed out yet either. I personally don't care for NP, just nothing there and I would never want to commute that far, traffic can be a bear and the cost of gas I don't think so. At least your husband has a job before coming down here that is a real plus. As long as you stay south of Page Field you will find a nice place to live and plenty of places to go out to eat on the money you'll save on gas.
This is very helpful. However, everyone is suggesting renting, and while I would LOVE to do that...we have 4 dogs. There is no one who is going to rent a nice place to us. We live in a gorgeous home in NEFL, and our dogs are in no way destructive...but none of these landlords know how we live, who we are, or anything about our dogs...so they'll be skeptical. We've sort of researched, and even been willing to pay a 5K pet deposit in addition to the regular deposit. People shy away...so renting is probably out of us unfortunately.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner69 View Post
I was looking at North Ft Myers..I'm assuming that is not south of Page Field...can you give me more info? We are also looking off McGregor in Tanglewood, and south of that in Venetian Village etc. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:47 AM

172 posts, read 887,817 times
Whiskey Creek and Tanglewood are really nice neighborhoods. Quiet, well kept, plus they have an great elementary school there (Tanglewood Riverside). Cops regularly patrol the areas so they're pretty safe.

North Fort Myers is on the other side of the river from Fort Myers and is separated from Cape Coral by a street. The area on the side of Orange Grove that you are looking is really nice. Like I said, I grew up over there and the minute I decide to buy a home and settle down, I'm doing it there. It's a little bit cheaper and I like the location better. If you'd like, I can ask a couple of my parent's neighbors or my parents (who still live there after 29 years) any questions you may have about the area.

Ohhh, there are some GORGEOUS houses off McGregor. Stay on the Edison Home (river) side of McGregor and you'll do fine. However, most of them are pretty expensive. If you can afford it, go for it though!

As for living in Lee County, I don't have too many complaints. The city government and the county commissioners have a mix of good and bad. You can follow all of that when you move here. There are some very very nice people who live here. There are some rude people who always live here. Traffic can suck so learning alternative routes will work in your best interest. The schools are the same anywhere. Depends on the teacher and the principal and the parent how much the child learns. There's some great elementary schools and high schools in the area. You can check www.lee.k12.fl.us for school ratings.

If you ever have any specific questions or want more opinions, feel free to contact me.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post
Whiskey Creek and Tanglewood are really nice neighborhoods. Quiet, well kept, plus they have an great elementary school there (Tanglewood Riverside). Cops regularly patrol the areas so they're pretty safe.

North Fort Myers is on the other side of the river from Fort Myers and is separated from Cape Coral by a street. The area on the side of Orange Grove that you are looking is really nice. Like I said, I grew up over there and the minute I decide to buy a home and settle down, I'm doing it there. It's a little bit cheaper and I like the location better. If you'd like, I can ask a couple of my parent's neighbors or my parents (who still live there after 29 years) any questions you may have about the area.

Ohhh, there are some GORGEOUS houses off McGregor. Stay on the Edison Home (river) side of McGregor and you'll do fine. However, most of them are pretty expensive. If you can afford it, go for it though!

As for living in Lee County, I don't have too many complaints. The city government and the county commissioners have a mix of good and bad. You can follow all of that when you move here. There are some very very nice people who live here. There are some rude people who always live here. Traffic can suck so learning alternative routes will work in your best interest. The schools are the same anywhere. Depends on the teacher and the principal and the parent how much the child learns. There's some great elementary schools and high schools in the area. You can check Welcome to The School District of Lee County for school ratings.

If you ever have any specific questions or want more opinions, feel free to contact me.
I will DM you.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:28 AM

7 posts, read 23,154 times
we are looking to move to the N Ft Myers area (south of Pine island rd and the (river / inlet?)
have 2 chidren and a few dogs. what can you tell me about that area?
Thank you

Old 02-25-2008, 10:31 AM

7 posts, read 23,154 times
We are also considering a move to N. Ft Myers near the Palmona Park area I think. Whats the job market like down there and is it a good place for young children?
Thanks for any feedback you can offer,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area