Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:18 PM

180 posts, read 277,061 times

Advertisements

We will be in cape for the month of March. We own a home, but thinking of upgrading. We do like our home, but may prefer a different neighborhood. If I remember correctly from our search several years ago, open houses weren't popular there like they are up north. Has that changed now that homes are selling again? Since we are just in the thinking stage, we don't want to take up a realtors time by asking them to show us houses. We can look at neighborhoods, but really need to see the inside to see how they compare. Last time we looked, the interior sometimes did not look anywhere as nice as the pics. We were looking in 150,000 range several years ago, lots of abandoned homes, lots of variance in upkeep. Suggestions? Can open houses be found?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 11:03 PM

222 posts, read 222,625 times
Very good question, I am also wondering this.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:24 AM

52 posts, read 59,404 times
There are open houses going on every weekend and during busy season you will see a lot more of them. Im not sure compared to up north, but look for you signs for open house on the weekends. Some agents will list open houses time in the MLS and some will not. The foreclosure market has really dried up due to less defaults but you will always come across your fixer uppers. Good Luck on your search!

Old 12-30-2015, 05:37 AM

74 posts, read 88,708 times
jnpittman9, what do you consider the "busy season"?

Old 12-30-2015, 11:00 AM

282 posts, read 1,008,907 times
Yes I believe this is considered busy season and there are tons of open houses all weekend and some even during the week.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:34 PM

180 posts, read 277,061 times
Where do I find listings for these open houses? I am signed up on some Mls site, listing book I think, and it rarely gives me an open house. You would think if they wanted people to come they would list open houses or advertise somewhere, particularly during snowbird season. Are these mainly people selling their own homes?
Thanks for the replies.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:17 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times
Try Realtor dot com. Then select Open House in the criteria.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:51 PM

77 posts, read 103,101 times
Open houses are becoming a bit fewer in number. Open houses rarely cause a house to sell, and Realtors realize that, so they are holding fewer open houses. With a few exceptions, open houses mostly get curious neighbors, tire kickers, or people just trying to "get a feel for the area". As sunshinewi indicated, he/she is in the thinking stage and doesn't want to use a Realtors time. In other words,, he/she is not ready to buy yet. Nothing wrong with that, but that is the majority of open house attendees ... people with no intention of buying yet. Realtors realize this, and rather do something else with their weekends. Think of it as having to go into your office (or whatever job you work) on the weekend, and the boss has no intention of paying you for your time. You will see the point of view that many Realtors have taken.

On occasion, a Realtor will hold an open house hoping to get a client who might buy a another house in the future (such as sunshinewi), so Realtors do still have open houses.. Just not as much as in the past, and much fewer now than before the internet age.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:49 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonceDeLeon View Post
Open houses are becoming a bit fewer in number. Open houses rarely cause a house to sell, and Realtors realize that, so they are holding fewer open houses. With a few exceptions, open houses mostly get curious neighbors, tire kickers, or people just trying to "get a feel for the area". As sunshinewi indicated, he/she is in the thinking stage and doesn't want to use a Realtors time. In other words,, he/she is not ready to buy yet. Nothing wrong with that, but that is the majority of open house attendees ... people with no intention of buying yet. Realtors realize this, and rather do something else with their weekends. Think of it as having to go into your office (or whatever job you work) on the weekend, and the boss has no intention of paying you for your time. You will see the point of view that many Realtors have taken.

On occasion, a Realtor will hold an open house hoping to get a client who might buy a another house in the future (such as sunshinewi), so Realtors do still have open houses.. Just not as much as in the past, and much fewer now than before the internet age.
I respectfully disagree. I have personally sold three properties at open houses. One of those I only had one visitor at the open house and he wound up buying the place. Those tire kickers and nosy neighbors may have friends or relatives who are looking to buy close to their friend/relative. I have a million dollar plus condo under contract right now to the sister of someone who attended an open house at the unit. Sellers are only looking for one buyer and shouldn't avoid open houses because they "rarely" produce a buyer.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:43 AM

222 posts, read 222,625 times
Makes sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area