Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 05:43 AM

19 posts, read 28,134 times

Advertisements

I wrote here a couple of times asking people for their opinions and help and I have gotten pretty good ideas and responses. I also got shredded on here for not providing enough details, so I am going to detail my situation as much as possible. Also I am on here for help, like the old phrase says "if you got nothing nice to say don't say nothing" because in my previous posts their were so nasty people. Anyways. Here is my current situation:

I am a 26 year old female engaged to a 33 year old male we have two kids a 7 year old boy and 4 month baby girl. We currently live in Deerfield Beach fl (east coast) but are residing in New York with family due to our daughter being sick and she needs good doctors. We will be returning to Deerfield Beach fl at the end of February (2016). That is when we will begin our search in Cape Coral fl. As of right now I am a stay at home mom because of my daughter having medical issues but I do have my masters in education and I have taken my Florida certifications already and have 3 tests passed one to go which I will be finalizing in February. So I am looking into becoming a teacher ( but my options are open). My fiancée works from home and owns his own business so for him he can live anywhere and it will not affect him financially. It's more me than him. We are looking to rent since of his business we need more space than an apartment so more like a town home with a garage or a private house. Our price range is 1200-1800. Obviously good neighborhoods are extremely important due to the schools. Good neighborhoods equal better schools. And before anyone starts with the school systems in Florida I am well aware that they aren't the best. New York might have a more advanced school system but they also have 10 year olds selling drugs in school. My son is gifted and talented so it isn't a problem for me. I am looking for a good neighborhood with a school rating of a B or higher. Also what are good things to do with kids in Cape Coral? Places me and my fiancée can go to meet people our age? What are good neighborhoods with young families? Recommended pediatricians? Renting communities? Demographics? Anything anyone can tell me about Cape Coral/ recommend or give me helpful opinions/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 06:01 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
Hi Marina,
I have no kids, nor do I live in the Cape. What I can tell you is that you will find a job quickly, as Lee county is short of teachers. I have friends in the Cape and I pesonally like the northern part of it the most, as it is less populated. You being from NY, may actually like more people around. I am sure plenty of people will come on and post to help you further who live in the Cape.
Welcome! I hope you enjoy Florida's west coast.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:46 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times
There are plenty of house rentals in CC in your price range. It is family friendly, low crime with good schools. More shopping, restaurants in the south, also closer to the beaches. For kids, there is fishing, boating, a water park, family festivals etc. Here is an idea of homes for you:
Rental Listings in Cape Coral FL - 66 Rentals | Zillow

Old 01-18-2016, 01:36 PM

195 posts, read 271,902 times
Marina89, you did a good job of presenting yourself and what you are looking for.
Lee County is low on teachers, so I would encourage you to start contacting the Lee County School District:
Careers - Lee County School District

Rents start around $1200 for a Single Family Home. Since you are able to go to $1800 you should find a nice home in a good school district. Cape Coral is growing and new homes are being built. New businesses are building and that means more jobs.
Pine Island Road is really growing and that is where a lot of restaurants and Big Box Stores are found, that is the Northern part.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:38 PM

4 posts, read 3,596 times
Hi, Marina89.

I have lived in Cape Coral for exactly ONE YEAR and so far, I just love it. However, I am curious --- why are you locked into living on the Cape?

Also, my brother is a teacher at Bishop-Verot High School, which is an excellent private school that I urge you to take a serious look at for your employment. It is located in Fort Myers, but it is literally 'right over the bridge' from Cape Coral Parkway. I don't have any school-age children, so I'm afraid I am less helpful in commenting on a school on the Cape for your children.

Rentals: Depending upon how much square footage you need and whether or not you have pets, you should be able to find a very nice home in the $1,600 - $1,800 price range.

Cape Coral has lots of Art and Food Festivals, several Farmer's Markets, a small beach and many parks.

I apologize that you got 'nasty responses' in the past.

Most of us are quite nice. Promise.

:-)

Old 01-28-2016, 05:55 AM

45 posts, read 82,023 times
Hi there,

We moved to CC in July, 2015 from Orlando. My husband started a new job with the school district and as already indicated, they are short of teachers so you won't have a problem with finding employment. I would probably start looking now as he was offered the job in January and his start date was August (new school year). We did look to rent and for $1200-$1800 you will find something really nice. We chose the SW because of proximity to his work and also the schools in the area. We have a 15 year old and a 4 year old. We chose to go the charter school route for the 4 year old but there are plenty of A rated schools in the SW to choose from. Open enrollment closes April 1 so if you're moving here before then just an FYI. Google school choice for Lee County School District.

March/April is also a good time to start looking for rentals because the season is ending. Just be aware that it may be a seasonal which is only offered for 7-9 months but it will give you time to figure out if you're staying or get you settled. We love this area because it has its own little beach, parks, proximity to shopping, CC has lots of little festivals. We live in a "dead-end" area so there is not much traffic and no through traffic so our kids can play outside. It's not a metropolis but we wanted the quiet when we moved here.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:47 AM

7 posts, read 53,034 times
You can buy a house in Cape Coral, with little or no money down cheaper per month than you rent one.
See https://www.homepath.com/listings/lee-county-fl
and beware wood framed houses - termites have not yet figured out how to eat other types of wall such as concrete block.

Also, whether buying or renting, beware that Cope Coral, FL was ground zero for the Chinese Drywall scandal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_drywall
The last thing you want to do is to move into a house that has defective (Chinese) Drywall.
Simplest check is to remove the cover plate from a few light switches or power outlets. If the copper terminals inside are blackened (indicates sulfur fumes) rather then run, don't walk, away from that house. Any color other than black is likely to be OK.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:31 PM

Wow thank you everyone for the advice! I greatly appreciate it!' Sdnotto2009 what does your husband teach!? I am in education for elementary, was the process long/fairly easy to get a job? Since you have kids did you find there a lot of kid friendly activities going on? Can you email me marinafrolova89@gmail.com would love to further discuss a bout Cape Coral! Thanks

Old 01-29-2016, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 1,587 times
This is all so wonderful to read! My family and I are moving to CC in April from the northeast and we can't wait! We have already found a fantastic rental and it really seems to be a very nice group of people in FL

Thanks so much!

Last edited by PattyA61; 01-29-2016 at 09:31 AM..

Old 01-29-2016, 04:51 PM

Patty where did you find a nice rental in cc if you don't mind asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area